Thread: Through the light - ADV OU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Through the light - ADV OU

Through The Light

I'm not going to get in depth with this team, it was just a team i made in ten minutes to battle someone, however it did ok in some of the battles i've had, but it needs improving. I"m new to the third gen sadly, so i'm not quite fond of the ou metagame. It's a fun tier, and it's a nice fresh air away from the 5th Gen metagame. To be completely honest, when i made this team, i wanted to counter some of the top threats in the metagame, but as i said, it needs work.

Registeel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Rest
    - Rock Slide
    Ok, we start off with Registeel. I'm not quite sure why i use this guy, he's a pretty good curser, but to be honest, i needed a defensive Pokemon. This Registeel is a curser, and it does its job well, and it also does a great job taking special hits, which is neat. I'm currently looking for a replacement for Registeel, even though it's a good wall, it doesn't belong on my team and i'm having a hard time thinking of a Pokemon that can be my lead.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 188 HP / 204 Def / 116 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Softboiled
    Blissey is such a great Pokemon, it's my answer to sub Raikou, Suicune, Celebi, Starmie, and other strong Special Attackers. I made this a Calm Mind Blissey mainly because i needed a way to handle sub Raikou and CM Suicune, it has good coverage and can handle most physical hits. I believe it lives a CB Brick Break from Salamence at full health, that's always nice.

Celebi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Leech Seed
    - Recover
    - Reflect
    Celebi is such a great Pokemon in this metagame, it's so bulky and it can handle almost anything. This is a defensive Celebi, it does its job well. Reflect can be useful at times, Leech Seed to sap opponents HP, Psychic is my only attacking options, and it can be useful or horrid at times. Currently i can change Reflect, i mainly put it there only because i couldn't think of another supporting move for Celebi. Celebi is my answer to Starmie, Suicune, and other bulky waters, without it, Salamence would have a hard time trying to sweep.

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Aerial Ace
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    I find Dugtrio to be very useful in the 3rd Gen, it can come in and revenge just about anything that doesn't resist it's attacks. It's my answer to non sub CM Raikou if Blissey ever dies. Earthquake is pretty obvious for the STAB, Rock Slide for dragons like Salamence, and Gyarados, HP:Flying / Aerial Ace for grass types / bug types.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Rapid Spin
    This Starmie was originally an all out attacker with Recover, but i soon realized that i needed a Rapid Spinner, and i needed it bad. Starmie does its job fairly well, come in on a Fire move and attack, most spin blockers can't handle Starmie's Surf, so it takes a large chunk out of it's HP. Bolt Beam for the wonderful coverage. Starmie is replaceable if anyone can suggest me a better replacement.

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide

Finally, Salamence. I learned about the third gen mechanics about three weeks ago, and it's a shame it doesn't get to utilize Dragon Claw on a physical set. I'm currently not liking this set, but once you set up, it can be dangerous, Rock slide for other Pokemon that resist Earthquake, Hidden Power Flying for Celebi, Venusaur, and other grass Pokemon. Currently, i might changed this to a mixed mence, but i'm not sure yet.

Rate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK, the team looks pretty damn solid, but here are just a couple of things to think about.

You don't need all that special attack on Blissey -- IIRC 52 EVs is enough to pretty much assure an OHKO on most Salamence with Ice Beam, and since Dugtrio + SubCMRaikou sort of kills your team, I'd suggest running a spread of 204 HP / 252 Def / 52 SpA, which softens hits from Duggy, letting you survive to check Raikou later in the game.

Also, even though fullstall isn't really big in Adv, stall and semistall oriented teams can be sort of annoying to you, simply because your team lacks the surviveability to deal with them easily, and it lacks the brute force to muscle through them. I'd swap your current Mence for either CBMence or MixMence, to help you muscle through common switch ins, as well as just fit into your team better, since your team currently doesn't support a DDMence sweep at all.

Baton Pass sort of wrecks you, so depending on what tier list you're playing by, you may want to watch out for that. Spikes + Dugtrio + Special Sweeper also can hurt your team a lot, so just be careful there.

Also, just a random note, but switch HP Flying on Dugtrio with HP Bug, for Celebi.

Good luck team building!
    ~Goodbye Teamuber~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks eevee, i have been testing with this team, and yes, it has some troubles with hard stall, and mixmence would help me out a lot, i'll test it out.