Thread: I don't usually play offense, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. [DPP]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't usually play offense, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. [DPP]

Introduction:

This is the team that I used to return to Pokemon. After being gone for something like a year, I had a lot of catching up to do. Black/White was released and I had no clue what the metagame had in store for me. I decided to stick to playing on Shoddy for a while until I could re-learn strategies, tactics, etc. After many futile attempts at making a team, I finally got one right. The premise of this team is to utilize 6 (mostly) physical attackers to constantly pound and attack any physical wall that comes my way. In essence, they all work together to weaken whatever Pokemon until it can no longer contain my attacks. If you're wondering this team peaked at the #13 spot on the PE leaderboard with a CRE of about 1627. I stopped laddering after that, because honestly, it stops getting fun when you lose a match because of hax and it makes you go down -13 points. Anyway, enough ranting and onto the team...

Team At A Glance:

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
    Ability | Clear Body
    EVs | 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Bullet Punch
    Set Analysis:

Metagross is such a useful lead for so many reasons. For one, it either gets Stealth Rock up, or it kills the opponent's lead. Swampert, opposing Metagross, Jirachi...I get rocks up on all of these. Meteor Mash hits as hard as ever, and can sometimes even put Metagross at +1 Attack. Earthquake allows me to hit Roserade, opposing Steels and does more damage to Swampert than MM. For the last slot, I was debating whether I should use Bullet Punch or Explosion, but in the end I chose Bullet Punch. Having 3 priority users on this team really helps, and its one of the reasons that a lot of Pokemon can't set up on me. What makes this Pokemon really useful though, is the Shuca Berry. Its practically another life for Metagross. Salamence just got a DD? Meteor Mash as he EQs, then kill it off with Bullet Punch. Flygon coming to revenge kill? Gross survives the EQ (depending on his HP) and Flygon takes a nice Meteor Mash to the face. Of course, thats all situational but you get the usefulness of the Shuca Berry.

The EVs are simple: max Speed and Attack to hurt foes as quick and as hard as possible. Metagross already has a monstrous Defense stat, so even without EVs, it can take repeated hits.

Against the common leads:

| Azelf: Problematic. I don't want to risk it having Flamethrower so I switch to TTar to break its sash and play it from there. Kinda tricky to play around.

| Metagross: Set up rocks first, then EQ. If it decides to EQ me, well, thats what the Shuca is for. No problem.

| Jirachi: Stealth Rock first always. It wants to Trick me a Scarf? Alright thanks bro, you just handed me a revenge killer. Thunder Wave variants are just EQ'd.

| Aerodactyl: Meteor Mash as it Taunts me or uses Stealth Rock, proceed to KO next turn with Bullet Punch. It either lets me set up Stealth Rock or dies.

| Swampert: Set up Stealth Rock turn one. If it EQs, I damage it as much as possible and let mence come in to Draco Meteor it.

| Smeargle: All I can do here is Bullet Punch it as it puts me to sleep, then bring in Scizor to kill it. No rocks up though

| Infernape: I'm actually not sure if Flare Blitz KOs me, but i'll most likely switch to Salamence to intimidate it and then switch to Kingdra.

| Roserade: Very tricky. If Sleep Powder misses, Roserade dies to EQ and Bullet Punch. If it hits, I bring in Tyranitar to break the sash, then Salamence as it Leaf Storms to kill it with Fire Blast.

| Ninjask: Keep using Bullet Punch until it Baton Passes...

| Heatran: Switch to Kingdra...set up in its face.

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
    Ability | Swift Swim
    EVs | 252 Atk / 4 HP/ 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Substitute
    - Waterfall
    - Outrage
    Set Analysis:

Kingdra, the first sweeper of the team. Kingdra's Dragon/Water typing allows it to come in on its plethora of resistances and start setting up in the opponent's face. Its really funny when my opponent tries to paralyze or burn Kingdra, because its basically a free DD. Then, I use Substitute as they try again and proceed to sweep. The Lum Berry is also extremely useful when it cures the confusion from Outrage, which allows me to keep on sweeping.

Waterfall is used to hit the Steel types that resist Outrage. Once I know my opponent has no Steel types left to defend him, I unleash boosted Outrages and proceed to sweep. I usually bring Kingdra out before Tyranitar, because Substitutes + Sandstorm damage means Kingdra won't be alive too long. Kingdra is my answer to Rain Dance teams, as its Swift Swim ability allows it outpace things like Ludicolo and opposing Kingdra and fire off boosted Waterfalls. Kingdra is also my only answer to Gyarados. When Gyarados switches in, I DD along with them, and Outrage usually nets the KO with or without Stealth Rock.

Salamence @ Life Orb
    Ability | Intimidate
    EVs | 28 Atk / 252 Spe/ 228 SpA
    Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Outrage
    Set Analysis:

MixMence. Helps me break down walls that my team has a hard time with (Hippowdon, Gliscor, etc). Salamence is an integral part of the team, and for good reason. Draco Meteor hits like a truck to anything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake for the Steels, and along with Fire Blast, gives me perfect coverage. I use Outrage as more of a late game sweep kind of move, since I don't usually like locking myself in if i'm not sure whether my opponent has a Steel type left. Another handy thing about Salamence is Intimidate. If a Pokemon like Gyarados just got a DD, Mence can come to Intimidate it and I could switch to Kingdra to have an easier time taking it down. What it really does, in essence, is soften up the attacking power of my opponent so my Pokes could sweep more easily.

The EVs are a little weird so let me explain. First off, I dumped 252 EVs into Speed so that my Mence was as fast as possible. The only thing i'm risking here is speed tying with other base 100s but that's better than straight up getting outsped. With 28 in Atk and 228 in SpA Mence reaches 313 in both Atk and SpA.

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Ability | Technician
    EVs | 24 HP / 252 Spe / 232 Atk
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Swords Dance
    - Superpower
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-Turn
    Set Analysis:

Although I enjoy using CB Scizor as much as the next guy, I've had a lot of fun using this set. Swords Dance and U-Turn makes a deadly combination, seeing as how all of Scizor's usual counters (Zapdos, Celebi, Swampert) can't take repeated damage from boosted Technician hits. After a Swords Dance, Bullet Punch annihilates all frail sweepers, Babiri TTar and much more. Superpower is for slower Steels, as well as hitting Hippowdon and Gliscor harder before they Roar me out. The great thing about this set is that once people see Leftovers they automatically assume I don't pack U-Turn, and to their surprise I use it and pivot to one of my counters for their counter. For example, Zapdos comes in looking to Heat Wave me, I U-Turn out to either TTar or Mence. Mence will blast it with Draco Meteor, Tyranitar can simply use it as setup fodder. The usefulness of this set is what drew me to it, and I never looked back.

Tyranitar @ Babiri Berry
    Ability | Sand Stream
    EVs | 252 Atk/ 252 Spe / 4 HP
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch
    - Stone Edge
    Set Analysis:

Hands down the best Tyranitar set I've used. After a Dragon Dance, Tyranitar outspeeds a majority of the OU environment, and the +1 in Atk is greatly appreciated. Think of it this way..the only Pokemon that can Intimidate me in OU are Salamence and Gyarados, who both get KO'd by Stone Edge (bulky versions are 2HKO'd). Ghost, Dark and Psychic types won't switch in right away in fear of Crunch, so I usually net a few surprise kills before they even come out. Fire Punch + Babiri Berry to handle any version of Scizor. Fire Punch also lets me swiftly KO any Forretress thinking it walls me. Its also useful for hitting Skarmory, who can become a nuisance with Whirlwind otherwise. Tyranitar is the second sweeper of the team, and helps remove some of my other Pokemon's counters.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Ability | Inner Focus
    EVs | 252 Atk/ 252 Spe / 4 HP
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch
    - Extremespeed
    Set Analysis:

The late game sweeper, the MVP, call it what you want. After one Swords Dance, Lucario destroys everything in its path. Close Combat is my main attacking move, being able to KO Skarmory if its taken prior damage, and of course anything thats weak to it. Crunch is for the bulky Ghosts and Celebi. Extremespeed is the most useful move, however, letting me kill Infernape, Starmie and Jolteon. Jolly Nature to outspeed other Lukes and some versions of Gliscor.

Threat List:

Gyarados: My team has no direct way to beat it. It usually requires me to go to Mence for the Intimidate, then Kingdra to DD along with it. Stealth Rock damage + priority + sand storm damage is usually enough to take it down.

MixApe:Infernape with Close Combat, HP Ice, Fire move, spells the end for my team. Only way of beating it is to play around it and hit it with priority attacks...

Bulky ground types: Not so much bulky Ground types, but Ground types with recovery are really hard to to take down. Hippowdon and Gliscor especially, since they pack Earthquake, can phaze me out, and can just recover off any damage they may have taken. Mence's Draco Meteor, Kingdra's Waterfall are really the only way to beat them. If anyone can suggest something for this, it would be greatly appreciated :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Salamence is Uber in DPP I should remind you. :P

So the first thing is to find a replacement for Salamence.

I think that you should use a Mix Flygon to fill that role and that you'll find it as a better lure for drawing out physical walls such as Hippowdon and Gyarados than MixMence.

Flygon @ExpertBelt
    Rash (+SpA, -Spd)
    EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake
    - Thunderpunch

The goal is simple, switch in on something which you can easily KO and use that bluff a scarf while your opponent then switches in his physical wall which will either be Hippowdon or Skarmory, both which you can 2HKO with Draco Meteor and Fire Blast respectively. The Evs allow you to outspeed Adamant Lucario and to also OHKO Gyarados with Thunderpunch which is a far better method than just going to Salamence to Intimidate it.

I hope this works for you, seems like a pretty fun team. Good luck with it!
    goku24: by the way you rasit ***** im a vergin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlur View Post
    Salamence is Uber in DPP I should remind you. :P

So the first thing is to find a replacement for Salamence.

I think that you should use a Mix Flygon to fill that role and that you'll find it as a better lure for drawing out physical walls such as Hippowdon and Gyarados than MixMence.

Flygon @ExpertBelt
    Rash (+SpA, -Spd)
    EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake
    - Thunderpunch

The goal is simple, switch in on something which you can easily KO and use that bluff a scarf while your opponent then switches in his physical wall which will either be Hippowdon or Skarmory, both which you can 2HKO with Draco Meteor and Fire Blast respectively. The Evs allow you to outspeed Adamant Lucario and to also OHKO Gyarados with Thunderpunch which is a far better method than just going to Salamence to Intimidate it.

I hope this works for you, seems like a pretty fun team. Good luck with it!
    Mence isn't banned on the server i'm in, but if its uber anywhere else I guess i'll have to try this set out!! Thanks for the set

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe add in a Scarf Rotom or Starmie to take your Gyara and Ape weakness.

I honestly can't quite tell you what to take out yet, but I'll look onto that and edit this post accordingly.

Good luck with the team.

^ Credits to Lunar ^
    sumatsu: so what does gtfo mean again?
    Jasmine: http://www.google.com/
    sumatsu: it means google?

*copied from DDwhiscash's sig*
    I was once know as AJ the fearless .... and then Jasmine used Breloom

(21:34:42) +DC: im a *** then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Maybe add in a Scarf Rotom or Starmie to take your Gyara and Ape weakness.

I honestly can't quite tell you what to take out yet, but I'll look onto that and edit this post accordingly.

Good luck with the team.
    both of those pokes are special attackers. this team is supposed to be made up of entirely physical sweepers to break down the opponent's physical wall until it can't take my attacks any more...once the physical wall is gone, the team has a field day. I guess this is sort of like a hyper offense oriented team...

but yeah, I was thinking maybe a scarf flygon or rachi...I already tested this team out with a scarfgon and it lost a lot less with kingdra.

any more suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    maybe try occa berry on your metagross because can take two earthquakes from areo with out shuca?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the odds that you see this are slim but whatever; im bored.

Im just going to start with a few nitpicks.
    Metagross doesn't really need Shuca honestly. It needs lum or even occa berry honestly. If people EQ a metagross with a mence, they are just retarded as any good salamence should fire blast unless you know for sure EQ will kill. Plus, Lum beats roserade who stops tyranitar easily with spikes. You still get rocks on swampert easily and flygon is really just a weak mon anyways. Occa or lum but i would give it lum but you are really weak to specs heatran and shucatran.

Second. with toxic spikes a high possibility as well as to ease switching, go with rest and chesto on kingdra. kingdra is going to be switching in a lot as your only water and you don't want A. toxic spikes to take your lum berry and you switch in on a possible status or B. Substitute plus sandstorm. It destroys your longevity and from what im seeing, kindra is necessary.

third, Roost over superpower. Once again, leftovers is nice but with high powered draco meteors and outrages going around in the dragon-centric game, you need recovery and a reliable steel especially since metagross is your lead and lucario your sweeper.

Fourth. I really hate babiri berry. Its really not worth it in my opinion especially if you take the option im going to give you later. Ive always liked lum berry and leftovers as two alternatives. Also. Fire punch is worthless. Id either replace it with Crunch (as SE kills Scizor at +1) or even ice beam since you want to lure in gliscors for lucario. Ive only used this once and it was pretty cool. if you hate both options. Fire blast is also better than fire punch as it A. Kills scizor B. Dents Skarmory harder. You would need to change nature and EVs around but whatever. Its worth it sometimes but Ice beam would be my first choice.

Fifth. In a game with no spinner, rocks, and sand, you need recovery on salamence. It is vital even for your high paced play. a simple roost changes the game around as now your opponent can't just stall for damage by "predicting" dragon / fire/ earth attacks letting LO and Sand kill you 16% at a time. the standard BB / DM / FB / roost or even the newer EQ / DM / FB / Roost will serve your purpose a lot better.

Sixth. Ive always loved adamant lucario as it allows a narrower gap for Salamences' Gyaras and skarmorys from surviving.

Im going to suggest two different changes for the team that might help you overall. First, i would replace Scizor with skarmory which gives you a little leeway on the ground attacks and it gives you hazards which everyone enjoys. It hurts your momentum a little but really you don't need to be greedy with spikes. One is enough; let them switch and counter. You lose momentum only here but next time skarm comes in, go ahead and WW as lucario doesn't need 3 layers to get the job done.

If you don't like that, I have a more creative solution. Im going to suggest a max attack bronzong with a brave nature with SR over metagross. I know it sounds weird but it works to keep momentum. If you dont like that, id go heatran over metagross and go skarmoy

You really need a ground resist so either bronzong and skarmory will do as you also need a steel thats got recovery (scizor or skarm) to take repeated attacks.

Not reallly indepth but it will work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why 252 speed on scizor it can't outspeed anything having more base speed than it so i'd invest in hp and sp def so that it can get some bulk to set up sword dance rather than wasting 164 stat points.