Thread: Using the Datel Trainer Toolkit on Windows 7 & Windows 8

AdministratorBoulder UserEvent ContributorHackerJournalist
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Using the Datel Trainer Toolkit on Windows 7 & Windows 8

When I first bought my Trainer Toolkit, I used it with a very old laptop that had Windows XP. My laptop has become increasingly older as the years have passed, and now my primary computers are Windows 7 & Windows 8 desktops. I used the same procedure for installing the Trainer Toolkit drivers on Windows 7 & Windows 8, but it failed, and gave me an error saying "Windows was unable to install your NDS Trainer":
    drivers.png

This frustrated me at first, because I had done everything correctly to install the driver. I used Device Manager in Windows, right clicked on my Trainer Toolkit, clicked on Properties, and then clicked Update driver. I navigated to my CD drive where my install CD and drivers were located. But Windows complained that it couldn't find the driver. I even tried specifying the driver files individually, but Windows still refused to accept them.

After researching the issue, I found that Microsoft's improved security in Windows 7 & Windows 8 prevents the installation of unsigned driver files. In fact, Microsoft implemented such strong security that it can't be changed; there's no way for me to force the installation of these drivers. To fix the issue, Microsoft recommends checking the manufacturer's site for newer drivers. However, Datel, the manufacturer of the Trainer Toolkit, does not provide any driver updates.

Solutions:
    So I'm still stuck with Windows XP when using the Trainer Toolkit. But I was determined to, at the very least, get everything working on my desktop so I wouldn't need to switch between multiple physical keyboards. My solution for quite a while, was using the Input Director program. Input Director allowed me to control my laptop's keyboard and mouse from my desktop, and was so seamless that it performed as if the laptop were an additional screen.

But with my worn and outdated laptop hardware, there are occasional hiccups in performance. I wanted to simplify things further, and only use my desktop. I used the Virtual Box program to create a Windows XP virtual machine. Everything ran smoothly and was much faster than my laptop in regards of performance. Virtual Box has functionality to mount a virtual .ISO file of a disc, which I used to install the Trainer Toolkit software on the XP virtual machine. Virtual Box also allows you to stream USB devices from your physical OS to your virtual one. Just click Devices, USB Devices, and then checkmark the "Generic Mass Storage Device [0100]" and "Datel NDS Trainer [0100]". Windows XP detects the hardware, and then prompts for driver files. After driver installation, I was finally able to use the Trainer Toolkit:
    TT on windows 8.png

I hope someone else finds this useful in getting their Trainer Toolkit hardware to function on their newer OS's. I have a moderate amount of experience, so if anyone has any questions regarding the solutions I listed above, then please let me know.
    Last edited by Kyohack; 02-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    If you would like to support the work I've done on this site, then please consider donating:

Check out my Online Pokesav.
    Devil's Survivor Savegame Editor