How to use desmume.
Since I've received a high amount of messages regarding to the use of desmume, I have decided to write a small guide about it. In this guide I will explain which version of desmume to choose, and how to optimize desmume if you have a slow computer. At this time of writing, the latest version of desmume is version 0.9.8
Choosing the right version of desmume:
If you've been to the official download page for desmume, you'll notice that there are several versions available for download. If you have a Mac OS, then your download choice is obvious since you only have one option to choose; the Mac binary. If you have a Windows OS, then you may be confused about which version to pick. I have ranked them in terms of performance, so try each of these in the order that I've listed them, until you find one that will start up:
- Windows 64 bit binary
- Windows 32 bit binary
- Windows 32 bit binary (non-SSE2 build)
Optimizing the performance of desmume:
If your game seems slow, then there are a few things you can do to optimize the performance of desmume. Before changing anything, make sure that you are using a fresh version of desmume that has all of the default options. See above for choosing a version of desmume. Below, I've listed some settings that will affect the performance of desmume. For your changes to take effect, restart your game by pressing Ctrl+R.
- For a speed-up, click Config -> Emulation settings, and uncheck the "Advanced Bus-Level Timing" option. Some games require this option this option to be checkmarked, but I have yet to see any. If you experience crashes or unusual glitches, then it may be a good idea to re-enable this option.
- Another way to fix lag, is to increase the frame-skipping number, by clicking Config -> Frame skip. Depending on how much you've increased this option, the graphics will seem a bit choppy. However, you'll notice that game-play is faster.
- To decrease your CPU load, you can make your computer's graphics card render the graphics. To do this, click Config -> Display method, and make sure DirectDraw HW is checked. In some rare cases, if you don't see anything on the screen of desmume, then you will need to choose DirectDraw SW to render the graphics for your game. If you are running your OS in VirtualBox or if you are using remote desktop, then you must choose DirectDraw SW.
- Vsync is a graphics option that will sacrifice CPU in order to eliminate tearing in 3D graphics. If you want better performance, then make sure this option is disabled. Click Config -> Display method, to change it.
- If you need an additional speed-up, then you can turn off your game's sound. Click Config -> Sound Settings, and change the Sound Core to none. If you still want sound, then you can lower the quality by changing the sound interpolation setting to none. You can also save some CPU by disabling in-game sound effects such as reverberation and visualization. To do this, un-check the Advanced SPU Logic option.
I've had over four years of experience with a variety of DS emulators, so if you have any questions about desmume, then feel free to ask them below. I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Yes so true. This exactly what i've did
However , you may like to add this :
If you want another speedup in your computer , you can download Gamebooster 3.5, which is a good option if you want to defrag (remove useless trash out of your computer to make it faster , this option will make your PC 25% then normal except for new booted pcs or reformated pc. moreover this option is confirmed to be 100% safe.)
You can also add DeSmUmE.exe to the Gamebox and speed it up dirrectly. this speed up will give a 25-50% boost to your desmume. however no one confirmed theres a glitch in the game OR desmume after dirrect contact with GB dirrect speed up device.
Another question to Mr.Kyohack. Is donating via OneBeep can be done? i mean it is possible using the OneBeep method to donate onto this forum?
Don't Run Outta Breath - Every Step Could Be Death...
My game freeze after i come to the turtorial how to cach a pokemon with Bianca,on the first exit in first town.I using desmume 0.9.8,help pls
Happened to me too once.
It is basicly because you have updated your patch. or something.
If the game just freezes and you see black screen or normal screen with no sounds , you might need to begin a new because this will probably fix that problem. But if it's because of the text you will need for the 2.1 release or use a cleanrom at once.
Don't Run Outta Breath - Every Step Could Be Death...
Sometimes Desmume lags when you do an anti-virus scan, it keeps happening to me when I use Desmume and Norton Anti-virus scan simultaneously.
how to encounter wild pokemon??every time i toss masterball it just came genesect only,why???
I can't manage to convert my M3 Real .sav to .dsv properly, could someone explain how to do this? I tried both Shunyweb and SaveTypeConverter but the resulting .dsv files are replaced while starting a game (one at a time of course, right location, same name as the game). Btw, how big should a save be? Thanks.
Umm hi i have a problem
i just downloaded Desume and i also downloaded a game but....i can`t see the screen
i can here sounds but when i pictur it i can see the screen?