Thread: 3DS homebrew progress

AdministratorBoulder UserEvent ContributorHackerJournalist
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3DS homebrew progress

The 3DS is making some decent progress towards an exploit. I've seen some excellent work from neimod in particular, and I'll explain what what he has done so far.

Here is neimod's RAM setup. To create such a device, you must first desolder the RAM chip. This is much more difficult than on the DS Lite or DSi, because those consoles used TSOP chip packages, in which the leads to the chip were clearly exposed. On the 3DS, a BGA chip package houses the RAM module. BGA stands for Ball Gate Array, which is essentially hundreds of metallic balls under the chip. Since the leads are not easily accessible, then one would need to use a hot air rework station to remove the RAM module. Once removed, you can fit a custom sandwich board in between the 3DS motherboard, and the BGA chip that contains the RAM module. Neimod has done so, by soldering several hundred wires from the motherboard, to the sandwich, and then covering everything in hot glue for stability.
    6188484607_03fef9de89_b.jpg ---> 6487818901_8e4f468b24_b.jpg

Here, you can see an example of neimod's RAM setup in action. He is able to edit live RAM, which is an invaluable necessity towards the goal of a future Homebrew Channel. With such a setup, it makes it much easier to locate and expose system bugs that would otherwise remain hidden from prying eyes. It would also provide insight into the 3DS's various encryption and decryption algorithms, as they could now been seen live while they are running. What you see below, is simply a text edit in RAM. It is a significant accomplishment, even if isn't a real Homebrew Channel.
    3ds.jpg

And here is the aforementioned RAM setup that has been slimmed down enough, so that the 3DS can be put back together in (mostly) one piece:
    5596993164_37d46cb174_b.jpg

Just thought this would be a fun read, as it seems things are progressing quite nicely for neimod and the other dedicated 3DS hackers. If anybody has any questions, just ask. I'll try to explain in layman's terms.
    Last edited by Kyohack; 04-08-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    If you would like to support the work I've done on this site, then please consider donating:

Check out my Online Pokesav.
    Devil's Survivor Savegame Editor

On The Couch But.....No...Yeah Mostly On The Couch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could you please say that in english.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In English; homebrew on the 3DS is feels close. On the DSi, about year passed between having RAM access and having homebrew.
    If you would like to support the work I've done on this site, then please consider donating:

Does that mean we'll see something like the Wii's homebrew chanel sometime soon?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yes, I expect to see a method of running homebrew on the 3DS, in about a year. I will keep this thread updated if I hear anything new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What is homebrew?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megastijn21 View Post
    What is homebrew?
    If an individual programs a mini-game, then that would count as a homebrew since it wasn't programmed or developed by a professional group or company. Homebrews can be games, apps, utilities, etc.