Thread: Mario and Sonic: Heroes United

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mario and Sonic: Heroes United

Here's an idea that I have. It is a Mario and Sonic Action/Adventure crossover that has Bowser and Eggman team up to destroy both Heroes in order to be able to take over Mobius (what I call Sonic's world) and the Mushroom Kingdom.

It's always been a dream of mine to have Nintendo and Sega make this idea come true one day. What do you all think of this idea? And do you think they will ever make this game?

Pretty Good DonatorModeratorBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2879-0451-7117
    I'll be honest with you, I can see why the stuck to the Olympics stuff.

Mario and Sonic's gameplay style are way too different to be in one game, which is a problem many people had with the Sonic Adventure games. It would take way too much time to be able to make these characters work together in the same game with their gameplay style, which can confuse many players to adjust them to one characters gameplay after playing the others.

Mario is your basic platformer, jump on enemies, get power ups, collect coins for extra lives, basic obstacle course styled levels.
    Sonic is a momentum based platformer, take your time to earn the speed, go fast, collect rings to unlock Chaos Emeralds(necessary to get the best ending of the game), explorable levels with many hidden pathways depending on what part of the level you take.

Not to mention the story of the game would be difficult to interpret. Mario doesn't exactly talk and Sonic has an attitude and would probably have to do most of the talking through cutscenes.

Granted it's a better idea the boring olympics. They really should do a fighting game instead.

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4484-8437-4282
    Okay. This is how I'd go about it in my dream Mario and Sonic platformer.

Since Mario and Sonic's gameplay styles are so incompatible with each other, I would have to do it Generations style, as in one act of each zone for Mario, one for Sonic. Mario would have the exploration-based style levels of 64 and Sunshine (Because that's what I prefer), but with a single goal instead of mandatory stars to collect (there would be optional collectibles), with his 64 moveset and stuff.

Sonic, so he would not be extremely different from Mario, would have more Adventure-styled gameplay, with a focus on the rolling mechanics instead of dashpads to gain speed, and obviously improvements to high-speed controls. I would use Modern gameplay, but I feel it would make Sonic seem to overpowered compared to Mario.

They fight bosses together, you can switch between them ala Sonic Heroes, and it's here where you can Unleash (lol pun), awesome team moves, similar to Team Blast. It would be more strategic then the Team Blast, as you may have to use a move to hit a weak spot, and you might have some selection as to which move you do.

NO Rehash locations. There would be all new locations, with a even divide between the Mario and Sonic universe.

Throw in a Eggman and Bowser/Mario and Sonic universe colliding plot, and maybe some jokes poking fun, like maybe a little running gag that Sonic gets slightly annoyed at having to slow down for Mario, and such.

Maybe we could have some alternate playable characters as well. Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and Peach for Mario stages, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy for Sonic stages.

What do you think? =P

❝ I eat pears now, and stuff like that ❞
    tumblr

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    Whoa whoa whoa......
    HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS THREAD?

Okay, in seriousness, I think it would be kinda hard trying to make a game with these two in it, for adventure.

Sonic is a basic racing/platform game. It's a fast paced game, collecting Rings and Chaos Emeralds, while trying to stop the villain.

Mario is a platformer, which is not fast paced, and you collect Coins, and rescue the damsel in distress, AKA Peach.

If they could make a game with both characters, but I would like to play levels with other characters, like Tails or Luigi. The Olympic games are fine as they are.
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Pretty Good DonatorModeratorBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2879-0451-7117
    Quote Originally Posted by CelestialNova View Post
    Okay. This is how I'd go about it in my dream Mario and Sonic platformer.

Since Mario and Sonic's gameplay styles are so incompatible with each other, I would have to do it Generations style, as in one act of each zone for Mario, one for Sonic. Mario would have the exploration-based style levels of 64 and Sunshine (Because that's what I prefer), but with a single goal instead of mandatory stars to collect (there would be optional collectibles), with his 64 moveset and stuff.
    Mario's gameplay style in 64 and Sunshine was to be about exploration so you can find the stars/star sprites. Going for a simple goal in mind wouldn't really work if you're going from point A to point B which all the stuff to explore. Most players couldn't really about collectibles unless they're achievement whoring or something like that.

Sonic, so he would not be extremely different from Mario, would have more Adventure-styled gameplay, with a focus on the rolling mechanics instead of dashpads to gain speed, and obviously improvements to high-speed controls. I would use Modern gameplay, but I feel it would make Sonic seem to overpowered compared to Mario.
    We already have a problem here, Sonic in his Adventure style gameplay would already be OP compared to Mario's gameplay. Mario has punching and kicking, which both have to be done manually to attack and Sonic has his spindash and homing attack, which pretty much do the work for you by the press of a button. The Adventure style gameplay was mainly a linear get to point A to be B in both Adventure 1 and 2, which compared to Mario's exploration styled levels already causes a drastic difference.

They fight bosses together, you can switch between them ala Sonic Heroes, and it's here where you can Unleash (lol pun), awesome team moves, similar to Team Blast. It would be more strategic then the Team Blast, as you may have to use a move to hit a weak spot, and you might have some selection as to which move you do.

NO Rehash locations. There would be all new locations, with a even divide between the Mario and Sonic universe.
    At the point of crossing Mario and Sonic together, making stages look fresh would be an extremely difficult task. They both have had all kinds of similar stage designs from water levels(Beach world levels from Mario/Labyrinth or Hydrocity zone from Sonic), lava levels(last world of most Mario games/Marble zone or lava reef from sonix), castle levels(obviously in Mario/the Castle levels from Sonic Heroes), etc. Making new stages for each character would be the toughest part of designing the game to look fresh and new. Mario and Sonic combined have pretty much done every possible stage theme ever.

Throw in a Eggman and Bowser/Mario and Sonic universe colliding plot, and maybe some jokes poking fun, like maybe a little running gag that Sonic gets slightly annoyed at having to slow down for Mario, and such.
    Just a personal nitpick, but I think Sonic's been in enough wacky dimension travelling adventures.

Maybe we could have some alternate playable characters as well. Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and Peach for Mario stages, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy for Sonic stages.

What do you think? =P
    Answers in bold.