Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate 4th Generation (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

SS Veteran
    California, if you wanna know more, e-mail me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why do people hate 4th Generation (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

I don't get why most posts I read online are haters of 4th generation of Pokemon. I would think they would like Lucario, since he's a beast, and Garchomp. Anyways, I believe Game Freak created 4th gen not to introduce any more new Pokemon, but to finish up with the Pokemon ideas of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations, and I think they did so nicely. I mean they finally added more oomph to the old Pokemon that had more potential (Magmortar, Roserade, Tangrowth, etc...). Even though 4th gen brought a lot of legendary Pokemon compared to the others, I don't mind that, as they look pretty neat (even Darkrai looks beast).

So why do people hate 4th gen? I don't see much hating of 5th generation (even though they say that the Pokemon designs look stupid), and plus, 4th gen had some good music (although Game Freak could have done better with the Elite Four theme, makes it feel as if I'm battling more Gym Leaders, instead of a bada** group of Trainers with bada** Pokemon).

Thanks for your time.
    (zangoose)

"Yes, it worked! Now onto Phase 12..." -Dr. Richtofen

Vinnie Vu

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i myself think 4th gen was decent!I really think Game Freak could have done better,in a way i have to say Game Freak did a pretty good job but i think they put some really Bad Pokemon in the game. Except for Lucario,He is a boss!
    Made By Spacey! Zero is love. Zero is life

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    The games were slow, the level curve was poor outside of Platinum, the Pokémon variety in DP was bad, the music was mediocre, the games were slow, Mt. Coronet was stupid and you had to go there too often, the characters were poor, the games were slow, DP surf speed was hilarious, the marshy areas and snowy areas were irritating (and slow), you couldn't get about thirty new Pokémon until you beat the main game in DP and the games were slow.
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought 4th gen was pretty decent. Definitely not my favorite, but still enjoyable. The pokemon were alright, but a lot of the further evolutions I just found to be meh. The games themself, D/P/Pt, were again just alright. I really enjoyed them, but not as much as the previous. Same for 5th gen, too. I enjoy the games, but just not as much as the first 3. I don't by any means think 4th gen sucked, though

SS Veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pengy already listed most of the main problems with 4th gen. 4th generation is my least favorite, even though I actually really liked HeartGold and Soulsilver. The Sinnoh games really disappointed me.

First of all, the games were much, much too slow. The battle animations were much too slow, the health bars were drained at a snail's pace and every short surfing route would take centuries to get past. After playing Pokemon Diamond for twenty minutes when I first got it, I already wished I was playing 3rd gen instead.

Second, I hated the Pokemon. A huge number of the new Pokemon were either part of the evolutionary line of existing Pokemon (and many were therefore unobtainable until the aftergame), and many others just sucked. While there are a couple cool ones (Lucario, Garchomp, Froslass) many of them just failed to impress (e.g. Cherrim, Pachirisu, Wormadam/Mothim). Also, the type distribution was terrible. There were only two fire types in Diamond and Pearl and both of them were pretty much at the very beginning of the game. There were hardly any good Water and Flying types, while those types are important for HM purposes.

Third, the overworld. Sinnoh was quite large, but it was also completely boring and charm-lacking. The areas with bog and snow slowed you down, which added nothing to the game except for frustration. The music wasn't good either. It wasn't memorable enough.

While Diamond and Pearl did come with online trading and battling, which was a very big innovation, a lot of the new things they added into the games were just stupid and weird. The contests in 3rd gen were already pretty dull, but 4th gens contests were horrible. Making Poffins wasn't nearly as cool as making Pokeblocks, the bicycle was a huge step down from the great bicycle system in 3rd gen, Team Galactic wasn't on par with any of the other bad-guy teams and the graphics were actually worse than 3rd gen's.

As said before, I enjoyed HeartGold and SoulSilver. Diamond, Pearl and Platinum were disappointing to me, though. And let's not forget about Pokemon Battle Revolution, which is one of the worst games I've ever played in general.

tl;dr 4th gen is the worst Pokemon generation so far and it was a huge step down from the first three, which were all great. That's my opinion, at least.
    I have left the forums. Farewell, everyone. You can still reach me on Skype if you want.

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3866-9448-9410
    Maybe this is just because it's the first generation I've played, but I found 4th to be very good. It could never match with 3rd or 2nd gen, reasons already explained by LP and MrT, but I don't really get why people hate it. It actually is still the generation I play the most.

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TuxGamer View Post
    Maybe this is just because it's the first generation I've played, but I found 4th to be very good. It could never match with 3rd or 2nd gen, reasons already explained by LP and MrT, but I don't really get why people hate it. It actually is still the generation I play the most.
    Honestly I wonder if sometimes the generation that people start on is the one they play the most. I've loved Pokemon since it came out, but I was never able to play the GB games until I finally a gameboy of my own. Which wasn't until 3rd gen. I still went back and played 1st and 2nd, but the 3rd gen games for whatever reason have just stuck with me and remain the ones I play the most. Both R/S/E and Firered/Leafgreen

DonatorBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, people generally find that the first generation that they started in will always be the best. The first pokemon game I played was Pokemon Red, however I find 3rd gen to be my favorite. D/P were awful to be because everything moved way too slow. Platinum was a slight improvement, but was still somewhat lacking in memorability. HG/SS were great remakes of G/S/C and I'm not sure if nostalgia has a part in that or not, but to me they were great.

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671

Sonic the Hedgehog on 4th gen.

But yeah. Sluggy and slow in battles and map navigation that it almost feels unplayable at points.

4th gen did add a vast amount of incredibly smexy Pokemon, though. But the pacing of the DP and HGSS (I haven't really played Platinum) completely ruined the experience for me.

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I sometimes really, really like it, or really really hate it. I like the music, gym leaders, and.... I guess SOME of the geography. I hate everything else. With the exception of some pokemon, it really didn't make much of an impression. That's why I sold Pearl in the first place. The battle system is slow, the movement is slow, and the story is hard to follow. So, yeah. My impressions of 4th gen in a nutshell.
    Where in the world did my life go? Cause it sure isn't here.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast