Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate 4th Generation (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4382-2004-0944
    The main problems have been mentioned already. Everything is too slow, the new team was worse than the others (which is saying something) and whoever was in charge of construction the D/P Sinnoh dex was a ****ing idiot. I like a lot of the Pokémon introduced and am a fan of some features like the Pokémon walking with you (which wasn't even in DPPt), but overall it was a pretty bad generation.
    i removed the beautiful thing from my avatar it is now my profile picture

Boulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    4th Gen was my favorite actually. D/P was ok but not great. Platinum was sooo much better and it was done really well. HG/SS was fun. All the legendaries from previous generations were wrapped up into one. The Pokeathalon was fun. 5th Gen was my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, it had a good story, but B/W was kind of boring until towards the end. Plus I didn't like 5th gen's Pokemon ideas.
    I have claimed Totodile and Spheal on January 1st, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepuffle View Post
    I think it'd be neat if we made like a chronological timeline order for the Pokemon RPs. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoghy View Post
    If the Pokémon RPs are supposed to all be related, I think I'll go kill myself now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepuffle View Post
    Good point.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I actually didn't know people were so unhappy with 4th generation until I read Pengy's and DMT's posts. Even the most vocal recent-generation hater I know IRL thought 4th generation was okay. Anyway, my essay . . .

I never played Diamond/Pearl and had pretty low expectations for Platinum, and even though I agree with the Surf speed and the battle speed and stuff, I though it was a pretty good game. The music was okay, some of it was excellent, and I actually liked a lot of the new Pokemon designs (well, the new evolutions and the Legendaries, anyway . . . Infernape and Pachirisu, eew.) and thought the ideas of of the snow and the bog, even though they were annoying, were pretty clever. The new Battle Frontier, those five Trainers that assist you from time to time, map designs like the Wayward Cave and Mt. Coronet, Move Tutors, I thought those were great. There was a decent amount of plot, however outlandish. The much-needed Physical/Special split had finally been made. The only thing I didn't like was the transition of Legendary Pokemon from forces of nature to deities. That's just kind of weird. All in all, I hardly think these issues outweigh all of the good parts of Sinnoh.

As for HeartGold/SoulSilver, I'm kind of biased because HG was my first Pokemon game (seriously). Even without as much variation as Sinnoh, the map design was pretty awesome. The music was great, 2nd generation Pokemon are great, your rival was great (he wasn't just annoying, he actually had a personality and changed a bit over the course of the game), you get to walk with your Pokemon, there were 16 Gym Badges to get instead of 8, and the Pokeathlon is so far the only set of minigame stuff that I actually find fun. There were some flaws - notably, the lack of plot (cough cough, Team Rocket Radio Tower) and the lack of experience to be had (I entered Victory Road of White 2 with the same levels as I had after picking up my 16th Gym Badge) - but again, I don't think that comes close to making HGSS bad games, in any way, shape or form.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Im not unhappy or happy with it. Im nuetral, it just isnt great in structure, and diamond and pearl were EXTREMELY slow in animation...but I do like the fact that the storyline is a bit longer than others. it doesnt go by too fast.and the dex was HORRIBLE, the whole concept of it was, and I think the aftergame was stupid, because everybody had f***ing unevolved pokemon.But dont get the wrong ideas!!! I still like the game!!!!!!! It still had some great features like umm......... gym leader music. and..... um..... Evolved Pokemon.... But let me get something off my chest: Team Galactic Sucked, The Pokedex sucked, The Routes and Trainers sucked, The rematch concept sucked because no one grew in level, And honestly You're usually underleveled because you wasted your life training Gible or some other stupid 4th gen pokemon that honestly shouldnt be in the "Hard" level group. Just admit it.
    follow my epic twitter account @chairycoke

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't hate it... But the bicycle music for DPPt is really annoying. and in DP, you can't take bikes into the city-route building thingies, either.

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't believe it that there are people that hate D/P/Pt.I liked most of the pokemon.I also like that you can use the running shoes inside.But mainly I like it cause of the pokemon and you don't have to catch all the pokemon in the pokedex to complete it.(At least until the national dex.)Also the villains to me were very-evilish.What I mean by that.Is that I want to stop them,a whole lot.In other games,I just do it cause it's the only way to get trough.But I must admit that the Surf speed is horrible compared to Ruby and Sapphire.
    The Time of Chaos

The Order of Light: The War against Necromancers (A story based on Shadow Necrosis: Ripe with Decay)

Author's Profile

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    Quote Originally Posted by CChariz View Post
    you don't have to catch all the pokemon in the pokedex to complete it.(At least until the national dex.)
    Thanks for reminding me about the stupidest thing Game Freak has ever done to the series.

Pokémon! Gotta See 'Em All~!
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Even though the Generation 4 games were my first, I liked 3rd Generation more. To be bluntly honest, Platinum was my first game, and I didn't know about how bad the rate was for Diamond and Pearl was until I played it 1-2 years later. At least the bicycle wasn't as bad as POKEMON BLACK AND WHITE when you abruptly stop, you automatically stop, but when you move, the game lags for a split second and you can't get into the freaking door! Surfing in Diamond and Pearl, I understand, but in my personal perspective, you being carried by something like a Tentacruel could definitely slow down the Pokemon speed in real life. Music? It was alright, but not great, but my favorite tune in the entire game was Jubilife City at night. Animations in Diamond and Pearl? OK, that's something I'm not gonna overlook. TERRIBLE AND SLOW. Just delayed the battle.

However, 4th Generation was the exact reason my name exists and also the reason why Cynthia appears in HG/SS and B/W. It also introduces Wi-fi battling, which was really good on the creator's part, plus it was a way to have a friendly battle with someone across the world without going to their house (heck, even put it on Youtube for all I know), Wi-fi trading (which I personally liked), the day to night implications, something that 1st and 3rd generation didn't have (I think 2nd had it 'cause of Espeon and Umbreon), and Pokemon like the Garchomp line and Lucario existed.

#SHIROBAKO FOR SECOND SEASON | MyAnimeList | Deviantart | Twitch | Siggy Shop

SS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0576-6835-0593
    Well gen 4 had just came after gen 1, 2 , and 3
    gen 1 (started pokemon)
    gen 2 (great job of expanding)
    gen 3 (epic game)
    gen 4 (ok game)

honestly idk why people hate gen 5 though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Missingno View Post
    honestly idk why people hate gen 5 though
    It's because the Pokemon are stupid looking and stats on most of the Pokemon are horrible. I hate to go off-topic, but in my Pokemon Black adventure, I often had to switch Pokemon because the Pokemon I currently had were so bad, and the ones I got were bad as well.

#SHIROBAKO FOR SECOND SEASON | MyAnimeList | Deviantart | Twitch | Siggy Shop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast