Thread: Mirror

The One True Pervert DonatorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mirror

As a school assignment, I had to take 10 vocabulary words and use them in a story. I think I went a little overboard...

I can feel people stare at me with leering eyes as I scurry past them after their turn and up to the next person. “Have you seen this man?” I hold a flyer by the top and shove its contents in front of a woman's point of view. “N-no...” The woman seems taken aback. This, however, as I've realized, is no time to be worried about the well being of others other than the man I'm looking for. “Are you sure?” I move the flyer a little closer to her face. “No, I have not.” “Oh...” “Is something wrong?” “Quite. I have lost sight of him and he has ran off.” “I see. Shall I help you find him?” This woman is being too kind. Any extra help would be appreciated, but involving civilians other than those that have seen him already would be demanding on their part. “No thank you, ma'am. I am grateful for your consideration.” “Good luck on your search.” I say “Thank you very much.” out of politeness and hurry along. “Goodbye, Mother.” I don't look back. Instead, I look forward for any more potential sighters. “You, the bearded man in the shawl lapel.” He surveys his surroundings to make certain to as if the call was directed at him. Pointing up towards his face, he asks, a little wide-eyed: “Me?” “Yes, you.” I hold up the flyer. “Have you seen this man?” A croaky sound arises from his throat as he clears it. “I can't say I have.” His harrumph was very suspicious. I ask again. “Are you sure?” “I am quite sure of myself, mister, and I will not allow a stranger to insult me so. I repeat, I have not seen him.” An impudent man. “My apologies, sir.” I lower my eyebrows and thank him. “Goodbye, Father.” I then move along to continue my search. Where could he have gone? Such a troublemaker could wreak havoc anywhere in this district! Why, I bet he could annihilate the whole city if he were any more clueless. I have to find him promptly, and then scold him for running off. As just asking with only details in mind is time-consuming, I've printed a flyer to facilitate the task. It seems as if nobody has seen him, however. That, or people were too busy minding their own businesses as he ran on by. But then again, how could someone like him avoid attention? Agh, he should be found by now then! If not by me, then the authorities! I have already requested a search at the local precinct, for added area coverage, but I have a feeling I will get to him first. I stop a young woman on her stroll. “Have you seen this man?” Her eyes trace along the text on the flyer and she stares at the picture in the middle. She then looks at me, and then back to the flyer. I get a little impatient, as time is incredibly valuable as of now. “Have you or have you not seen th-” “Shh!!” she silences me without looking up. “I'm thinking.” How rude! I should be the one reprimanding her. I give a second thought and have my mouth remain shut. Any unnecessary drama could shorten the amount of precious time I have already lost. She looks up at me again, this time with a curious look. I give the same look back, but probably for a different reason. “What is it?” I ask. “Nothing.” A few moments pass by. Finally, she looks up and tells me in a happy voice. “I haven't seen him.” “Well thank you very much.” I let my arm down. What a waste of time. I wave the woman goodbye. “Goodbye, Sister.” As I swiftly walk by, I reminisce. Why was she looking so intently at me? I fix my trilby hat so that it doesn't cover much of my face. There is no need to worry about my appearance, is there? I think about it before chuckling. Of course there isn't a need to worry. I walk up to a tall woman. “Have you seen this man?” “Is he lost?” “I am afraid so.” A look of pity. “I assume you haven't encountered him.” “I never said that.” “Then you have?” “I never said that either.” This is going to go nowhere. I lift the flyer higher. “Have you seen this man?” I repeat, in a more prominent voice. “Maybe.” “Maybe?” “Why don't we discuss this over a drink?” I try to process her arbitrary request. “I don't have time for that.” I mustn't be derailed from my goal. “It will be on me. Lunch too.” “It is thoughtful of you, but I really cannot afford to go drinking in my situation.” I retort. “Aw, bum.” “I just want to know if you've seen the person I'm looking for. It is a paramount issue.” She looks at me. “I think so.” “Really?” Is my search finally nearing its end? “Yes. Although, it has been a long time.” A long time? He hasn't been gone for that long, has he? “Maybe... a few years now?” she adds. A few years? “I do not think you have the right person.” “Is that so? Then I haven't seen another person of the like.” A shame. “I must take my leave then.” “Good luck.” We both wave each other goodbye and I start to walk. “I'm usually here by this bar!” I hear her shout. “Goodbye, Friend.” I walk slightly faster to accommodate for the lost time. The sun will be setting soon, and I want to find him before nightfall. It would only be troublesome to have him remain unfound for the night. It would even be worrying. Who knows what could happen to him? I detect an elderly man walking slowly. I also slow down to match his speed before approaching him. “Have you seen this man?” He squints his eyes as he tries to make out what the flyer says. “Him?” “Yes, him.” “He looks... familiar.” “Really?” “I... don't remember. My noggin can't remember much anyway.” “Can you try?” “I would if I could. But I think trying too hard would shorten my life even more so.” “You mustn't be so morose.” Thinking in such ways can only be unhealthy, especially for one at this age. Silence. “I presume you have not seen him.” “I've seen him.” “But you cannot remember.” “I can try.” “Please, don't. I'll be going. Good day to you.” I walk away. “Goodbye, Grandfather.” I do not know if I passed up my answer to his whereabouts just then, but I'm sure I can find out elsewhere. As I walk around the corner, the sound of music becomes more distinctive. A proud roar through the air, piercing through every other sound. I keep my ears keen for the duration of my advance towards the source of the music. Oh, I recognize this tune! At once, my mind fills with nostalgia, and I become aware of myself walking faster and faster. Up ahead, I see a man leaning on a brick building, brazen trumpet to mouth, and cheeks tight. The trumpet shines with a glare from the setting sun. I stay latent behind a wall and deduce how long it will take for the song to end based on my memory. Once it does end, I pivot around the wall and toss a coin into a top hat on the ground. I hold up the flyer. “Have you seen this man, sir?” It takes him a considerable while, but he recovers from the coin that I suddenly tossed and frowns his eyes at the photo. “Who is he?” “He is under my care and he is lost. Have you seen him?” He studies the photo with extra attentiveness. “He looks like someone I know.” “He does?” “Yes, someone I detest.” What an unexpected answer. I wonder to myself if I should pry further. “How do you know him?” “He is my wife's brother. He is unappreciative of me, and I can return the favor.” “Truly?” Could his brother-in-law be unappreciative of his music? “Truly.” “Do you know where he is now?” “He is probably performing aimless tasks somewhere.” Such trivia is not helpful in my pursuit. “I see.” I reach into my pocket and pull out another coin. Upon seeing this, the man speaks up. “There is no need, sir. I had already received one from you.” He waves his arms in front of me. “For reminding me.” I say, and I toss it into the hat. “I will be going now.” “Thank you.” he says. I start walking again. “Goodbye, Brother-in-law.” I peer over to the left and watch as the orange sky is beginning to be swallowed by darkness. Despite the time, I am slowly trudging for an unknown reason. It is possibly not the best choice, but try as I may, I can't make myself walk any faster. Where is he? It's getting dark, and he should go home already. I look up to see a beautiful woman pushing a stroller ahead. I hear the child inside the stroller cry incorrigibly, his wails even louder than the trumpet. “Have you seen this man?” The woman looks at me broodingly, and then she smiles. “I have.” “Where is he?” I am getting desperate. I might be getting as desperate as to give up, even though I know that I should not do that. She slowly lifts her arm up and points at me with her index finder. What? Me? I rummage my thoughts to try and piece it all together. The child has now ceased crying and has started prattling. It is distracting. I cannot seem to think. “W-What do you me-” They're gone. The woman and the child are nowhere to be found. I stand there- here, waiting for nothing. “Goodbye, my love. Goodbye, my child.” I walk along, pulling my entire life behind me.
    I don't understand why I understand. A subconscious response; a click of the mind. The wind picks up, and the flyer becomes a flier because of my loose grip. I stare at it, floating away, dissolving into the waning sunset. Next to me is a shop window. I can discern my reflection from the last bit of daylight available. My reflection-his reflection. I take off my hat. Like an evening rain shower, my eyes well up and I cry. I feel sad. I feel happy. I am overwhelmed by emotions; the same emotions that have saved me and plagued me countless times. The showers become heavier. They drag my knees to the ground and I curse to the sky. Was this all in vain? Was it worth the experience? I don't understand why I understand. I let my emotions carry me through the night.

I've finally found myself.
    Last edited by Alice; 11-01-2014 at 02:33 AM.

The One True Pervert DonatorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Spoiler!

For those wondering, we have 20 vocabulary words every week, and had to use 10. The 10 I used were...

1. annihilate
    2. facilitate
    3. reprimand
    4. arbitrary
    5. paramount
    6. morose
    7. brazen
    8. latent
    9. incorrigible
    10. prattle
    Last edited by Alice; 11-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    hella #deep
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Fun read. I'm curious. What were your vocabulary words? :P