Thread: Hades asf [ORAS OU Mega Houndoom Team]

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938

Hades asf [ORAS OU Mega Houndoom Team]

Well guys, I'm here with another team bc I always make teams wtf why

Teambuilding Process:

So obviously the first member on the team was the Mega Houndoom, and I wanted to make a Houndoom team bc it's quite underrated, imo.

So I needed something that could take Fighting and Ground type attacks for Houndoom, and Gengar seemed to fit perfectly. It also helps that Houndoom can take Psychic and Dark attacks that Gengar doesn't like.

I honestly don't remember why I added Staraptor, I think it was just because I wanted to use it since I haven't for a long time. Plus, the Close Combat helps with the Dark type thing on Gengar.

Serperior was chosen next because I had quite the Rock weakness surfacing, and I needed something to combat that, and Serperior with HA is incredibly powerful.

I put Swampert on here as another Rock resistance, and also so I could handle any Ice types that Staraptor didn't like and Fire types that hurt Serperior.

Conkeldurr fitted on the team quite well, dealing with Dark and Ice types that the team didn't appreciate, and just generally absorbing any Special moves that come its way.

I realised that Staraptor and Swampert really weren't helping the team, as Swampert simply wasn't bulky enough to set up hazards and Staraptor never really did a lot. So I switched them out for Skarmory and Donphan, for Defog support and as a better way of setting up hazards.

Team in Depth:

Hades (Houndoom-Mega) (M) @ Houndoominite
    Ability: Solar Power
    EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Nasty Plot
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Mega Houndoom is so anti-meta right now. He hits the 115 Speed tier, meaning he can outspeed such mons as the Latis, Gengar and Megagross after Mega evolution. Speaking of Megagross, it is an amazing offensive check to Megagross, since it can switch into anything that isn't a Hammer Arm or EQ, outspeed and OHKO with Fire Blast. It is also an excellent counter to Mega Sableye, as MegaEye can do nothing to Houndoom with either of its common sets, and Houndoom is free to set up and OHKO with either Dark Pulse or Fire Blast. The EVs are laid out as such to live a CB Talonflame Brave Bird at full health and three Seismic Tosses. Dark Pulse and Fire Blast are obvious STAB and HP Grass for stuff like Rotom-Wash, Mega Swampert and the rare Suicune.

Casper (Gengar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Wave
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick

Gengar was next on the team. Gengar is incredible in OU, since no one expects Choice Scarf. I can count 3 times where people have sent out their Choice Scarf Pokémon, expecting to finish off Gengar, only to be KO'd and forfeit. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave are both incredibly powerful and scary STABs from Gengar, HP Ice is probably the best coverage on Gengar, since it hits stuff like Landorus-T, Breloom and Staraptor, and Trick is to destroy walls and give them my good ol' Choice Scarf.

Lancelot (Skarmory) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Roost
    - Defog
    - Brave Bird Drill Peck
    - Whirlwind

Skarmory eats physical hits for days. Defog is the main thing Skarmory is here for, since it stops Stealth Rocks from being a huge thorn in Houndoom's side. Roost is so I can recover health, making Skarm very difficult to move. Whirlwind is so I can deal with set up sweepers like Bisharp, DDance Dragonite and CM Mega Sableye, and Drill Peck was to have some sort of offense. I originally had Brave Bird, but the recoil made Roost practically worthless so I switched it up for Drill Peck to stop the negative effects, and of course the Rocky Helmet to really put the hurt on Talonflame and Staraptor.

Elizabeth (Serperior) (F) @ Miracle Seed
    Ability: Contrary
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Dragon Pulse

Serperior is huge in this meta game. Contrary is a given, as is Leaf Storm. Dragon Pulse is mainly for coverage and to hit Garchomp, the Latis and Dragonite after Multiscale is broken, Hidden Power Ground is so I can hit Heatran and Magnezone and Giga Drain to restore some HP. Miracle Seed was the item of choice to take Leaf Storm from 210 to 273 and get more HP back from Giga Drain. I could give it Leftovers instead of Miracle Seed, but the boost from Miracle Seed has helped on plenty of occasions. I also considered Life Orb, because Giga Drain can restore the LO chip damage.

Zanzibar (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard

Donphan was put on in place of Swampert because it is naturally bulkier, having higher HP, and gets Sturdy which guarantees I can get hazards up. Stealth Rock is super obvious, Rapid Spin is so if Skarmory is dead I can still get rid of Rocks for Houndoom, Ice Shard for priority and Earthquake bc STAB is important. I was considering moving the Rocky Helmet from Skarmory onto here and giving Skarm the Lefties, but Lefties on this guy is more helpful, so I think I'll leave it for now.

Pillars (Conkeldurr) (F) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Mach Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Knock Off
    - Ice Punch

And our last guy, Conkeldurr is here to eat Special hits. The set is really common and basic, Mach Punch for priority and to **** on stuff like Weavile and Bisharp, Drain Punch to get HP back when I need it, Knock Off for Chansey and Choiced Pokémon and Ice Punch is the best coverage for Conkeldurr, destroying Staraptor and any other Flying types that annoy Conkeldurr.

So there's the team. Some feedback would be really helpful, since this team isn't perfect and has problems TALONFLAME KELDEO
    Last edited by AzureArcanine; 04-15-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    I think Azumarill would be good on your team. You could use some more special bulk, it counters Talonflame/Keldeo, and you could use a bit more physical damage.

I'd replace either Donphan or Skarmory since they kind of fulfill similar roles (although you could argue the same with Serperior/Houndoom)

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'd give your Serperior the Wide Lens. Makes sure you don't miss as many Leaf Storms. Takes it from 90 to 99. Significantly helps, trust me. The Miracle Seed is a good choice, but what use is extra damage when you can't hit your target as much?

This describes me so well it's saddening...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachgoose View Post
    I think Azumarill would be good on your team. You could use some more special bulk, it counters Talonflame/Keldeo, and you could use a bit more physical damage.

I'd replace either Donphan or Skarmory since they kind of fulfill similar roles (although you could argue the same with Serperior/Houndoom)
    Thank you for the suggestion! If I'm going to be honest, I would probably get rid of Donphan because (iirc) Skarmory can get Stealth Rock and also can't be SpinBlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRed1000 View Post
    I'd give your Serperior the Wide Lens. Makes sure you don't miss as many Leaf Storms. Takes it from 90 to 99. Significantly helps, trust me. The Miracle Seed is a good choice, but what use is extra damage when you can't hit your target as much?
    Honestly, I don't recall missing a Leaf Storm at all while I've used this team. I know what you're saying, and I'll make sure to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion :3

Tournament VictorTournament ProctorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1. donphan sucks use excadrill or something

2. hp fire > hp ground on your serperior since you have conk and m-doom for heatran and life orb > miracle seed

3. brave bird > drill peck on skarm

4. change your conk's spread to 128 hp / 252 atk / 128 spd or 252 atk / 236 spd / 20 spe

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by Milotic View Post
    2. hp fire > hp ground on your serperior since you have conk and m-doom for heatran and life orb > miracle seed

3. brave bird > drill peck on skarm
    as a general rule, never use single type enhancing items in competitive unless you're an Arceus.

as a second general rule, the only realistically useful physical Flying attack is Brave Bird. the only realistically useful special Flying attack is Hurricane. oblivion wing, dragon ascent and aeroblast are all right but they're signature moves of ubers so they're kind of out of the picture.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    1. donphan sucks use excadrill or something
    donphan is being swapped with azumarill

+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 262-309 (81.1 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Houndoom: 236-278 (81 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

this is on tran's scarf set, which is quite common as far as i know. earth power outspeeds and 2hkos unless it switches in, but i don't like that risk. ill try hp fire though