Thread: Robert Downey Jr. Walks Out of an Interview

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238

Robert Downey Jr. Walks Out of an Interview

Now I don't usually talk about stuff like this here because from what I can tell most people here dont tend to talk about movies or movie actors all that much, but I found this completely unfair. For those who dont know, RDJ is the actor who plays iron man, and he had a not so good past. He had drank a lot and was in prison at one point but since then has completely turned his life around and is legitimately a great guy. So Avengers 2 comes out NEXT WEEK. (hype!) and this interview was supposed to be to promote the movie, but it turned into something more. I've linked the video at the time where things go south, and I just want people's opinions on how RDJ handled the situation.

https://youtu.be/ALBwaO-rAsE?t=3m45s

Personally I think the way he handled it was great, the interviewer had no business asking the questions he started to ask.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Apparently this isn't the first time this interviewer has pissed someone off. Like you said, he had no right to ask these questions, especially after it was clear he didn't want to talk about his past after the first question. The worst part? When he said "Is that all behind you now?" He might has well have said "Do you still have a drinking problem? Do you still go to prison?"

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    Yeah I definitely agree. Even if you look at the interviewers twitter he tries to put RDJ in the wrong lol.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Interviewer asked personal questions when he was supposed to be discussing a film. He had every right to walk out.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I don't really mind the interviewer's first question, where he essentially answered "things change," and that should have been the end of it. But the bit at about 6:20 reeeeeeeeeeally didn't belong there, in an interview about The Avengers, or otherwise. Have you any people skills at all, mate?

edit Yeah, he handled it pretty well. Most people probably would have come back fighting, which would have made the situation even worse.

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think they need a new reporter. Personal questions are inappropriate for any circumstance, unless it is rehabilitation. Personally, I think those kind of questions should not have been uttered. I hope they cut this guy's paycheck.
    It takes a Teen Age Riot to get me out of bed right now.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    Robert had every right to walk out. The interviewer, who is a news reporter over here in England and a crappy one at that, knew that the interview was about Age of Ultron, and the first three quarters of the interview were about Age of Ultron, so I don't see why he felt the need to then bring up personal things about Robert's past. He handled it much better than most celebrities would have done, too.

AdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    every right to walk out
    there is every right to ask the question
    an asked question does not have to be answered
    an asked question can be strategically answered still.

asserting moral authority or deducing ethical principles doesn't detract from the lack of a physical obligation to ask personal questions or leave interviews. if we accept that we are bound by professional and legal agreements, specifically in contractual form, we question at what point someone's integrity and trust is worth. there is no physical obligation.