Thread: 3D Platformers

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707

Cool 3D Platformers

With the Kickstarter for Yooka-Laylee, the "spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie", currently over 2 million dollars (USD) on Kickstarter, I think it's about time for this thread. For those who aren't aware, Banjo-Kazooie is one of many games based around 3D platforming with a focus on collectibles within the game. The genre itself has appeared to fallen out of favor lately, and modern 3D platformers tend to be distinctly different from their predecessors (think about how different Super Mario Galaxy 2 is from Super Mario 64).

So, the question is, what do YOU think about 3D Platformers? Many of you have already voiced your opinions about Yooka-Laylee, but how do you feel about the genre in general? Do you prefer the modern games, or do you prefer those nostalgic oldies? And what's your favorite one, if any?

This thread was inspired by discussion had on the latest Squirtle Squadcast! Check it out here to hear opinions from some of the squad on Yooka-Laylee, platformers, Banjo-Kazooie, and more! Also check around the forums for more posts based on our discussions, and check the Squadcast YouTube for more gaming and pop culture content~

(/shameless advertisement)

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Super Mario 64: 1996
    Super Mario Sunshine: 2002 (6 years)
    Super Mario Galaxy: 2007 (5 years)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2: 2010 (3 years)
    Now: 2015 (5 years)

It actually hasn't been that long since the last 3D Mario game, though if we don't get anything at E3 in June we're probably not going to get one for a very long time.

I don't count 3D Land and 3D World because they're basically New Super Mario Bros. X with a Z axis and little to no common elements between levels in a world. 3D Land was all right, but it was absolutely blown out of the water by Galaxy.

Also as someone who sort of makes games . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spoiler!

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    3D platformers is a genre that has quite a few of my personal favorite games. Galaxy 1 is my 2nd favorite game of all time, while games like ratchet and clank, Mario 64, are also high up there, just not that high. However, while I love them, I feel like they are a dying genre. They simply don't sell nearly as well as the easier to make 2d platformers. For instance, galaxy 1 and 2 are both outsold by the NSMB games. That's probably why they did 3d world over another galaxy or 64 game. Sales are lower for 3d and 3d costs more to make. Tbh, galaxy 2 was the most recent one I've played. Maybe yooka laylie will revive the genre, but I don't know of it can, and that makes me sad.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    3D Platformers are past their prime. Around the time that Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker were released was probably when 3D Platformers were at the apex of their popularity. However, they aren't completely dead. Not by a long shot. Yooka will probably revive the genre. Think about it, it surpassed it's 175k goal in less than hour, 1 million in less than a day and is currently sitting at a pretty 1.5 million after just six days. That in itself shows that the genre is not dead and that this game will probably bring it back to popularity.

Banned Boulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think that it is obvious which video game company destroys the rest in terms of 3D Platformers and that is Nintendo. Off the top of my head you have, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and many more. They are mostly Mario games though which I wish wasn't the case, but their isn't a serious problem with it or anything.