Thread: Top 5 FE games

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Top 5 FE games

This is the official thread that will list our members' favorite Fire Emblem games. I limited it to 5 due to how many games are actually available (officially) in English. You don't have to, but I think it would be fun to give some reasons as to why you like them in the order you do. Let us ride together!

1. Fire Emblem 7 - Awakening brought me to the series but 7 is really what made me a FE fan for life. It toned down the insane difficulty spikes in 6 and perfected the GBA gameplay with a truly wonderful cast of characters. The story lacks the depth of later entries but the game is so overwhelmingly enjoyable it doesn't detract from it at all.

2. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - I went back and forth between 9 and 8 but the narrative in Path of Radiance is what eventually what won me over. Yes, the story in Sacred Stones is great but the mythos in PoR is very interesting to me and seeing all of the diverse races give the game an epic fantasy feel. Plus, for whatever reason, I really like Ike's character progression from mercenary to leader.

3. Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones - All that being said, Sacred Stones is really close to PoR. Some of the greatest stories ever told are friends being torn apart by war and FE8 is no exception. I find the cast generally not as interesting as 7 but the two siblings leads are pretty great. I generally prefer the sprites of the GBA trilogy over other FE styles and they are gorgeous in this game.

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening - Probably not going to be a popular pick but I can't just ignore my first Fire Emblem game. Yes, it has some major plot flaws and doesn't really have the epic feel of other FE titles but its an awesome entry. The cast is pretty enjoyable and there is so much to do. If nothing else, Awakening has brought the series back to the forefront of gaming even if it had to cut a few corners to get there.

5. Fire Emblem 6 - This game took me a year and a half to finally complete. That's how hard and frustrating some of the later maps were for me. That being said, 6 is an excellent sequel to 7 (story wise) and since I played them backwards it was really cool to see how things had changed. It's the lowest on the list because of Roy being a poor imitation of his father and not at all interesting (imo), Hector getting shafted, and the crazy difficulty spikes at various points in the campaign.

(I think RD is going to be somewhere in this list when I finally finish it)
    Last edited by Will; 08-04-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    Ah, top 5 threads! The bane of my existence due to my inability to pick favourites! I'll give it a shot, though! (And probably say very little and just talk about a few generic things. : P)

In no particular order:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.
    Radiant Dawn was my first FE game and I'm really lucky because if I absolutely had to choose a number 1 it would be FE10. The plot is very engaging, the characters are great, the gameplay is really solid and the music is incredible. People like to complain about lack of support conversations but they're often really awkward and out of place and Radiant Dawn gave plenty of character development through base conversations and battle/boss conversations. While some characters absolutely were shafted (Vika, Aran, etc.) the writing was superb and Tellius definitely has the most engaging set of characters in the series. The only major flaw I have with FE10 is that sage caps suck. -_-

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.
    I could list everything great about Path of Radiance but everybody know why it's great. Instead I'll complain that they replaced Maniac Mode with "Easy Mode" when Normal Mode already was the Easy Mode (like it is in FE10) and also complain that you can't turn off map animations. It also leaves a lot of loose ends for FE10 but I don't mind that.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.
    The Sacred Stones actually has one of the strongest plots in the series. It also has a ton of replayability and some of the most memorable map themes:
    Rise Above.
    Determination.
    Truth, Despair and Hope.
    FE8 has a really great set of main protagonists too. The only problems are that it's also kind of easy and that the side/postgame content sucks.

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776.
    Thracia is great because of it's ridiculous difficulty, mainly in your first playthrough, since enemy stats kind of suck and knowing about the cheese and how to stop it makes Thracia not nearly as difficult. It still has many very interesting mechanics (Fatigue, Capture, etc.), one of the most unique protagonists, a map theme for when you're losing, very good character diversity and the ability to make pretty much everybody really good while not breaking the game (because of capture and because pretty much everybody is broken in their own way. Except Ronan. Poor guy).

Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow.
    I wasn't sure what to put here but I think FE12 deserves the spot because it has really solid gameplay and very good class balance. It's the FE game where I've had to most think about unit positioning and it really tests you on harder difficulties. It's a shame that Kris killed FE3's story. However, it's still a really solid game and the original plot still exists. They just killed Marth's character and took away everything he did when they started FE's descent into self-insert hell. Also, unit balance kind of sucks and the latter half of the recruitable units pretty much all suck. :/
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Over there! *points at my house* Nice, inn't?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    5. Shadow Dragon: I don't like 7 or 8 and was running out of alternatives. To be fair, this game has some nice music and really felt like the original Fire Emblem game. Only problem is I didn't like the portraits at all and the whole kill off your characters for extra chapters thing isn't very fun.

4. Radiant Dawn: New Ike is emotionless, but I like new Elincia. Gameplay is fun, but I hate how there aren't any magic-based swords. I don't like the story very much and they chose to make this an almost completely serious game, which I am not a fan of. Aesthetics are just as dark and only gets darker until the end of the game, which is just...ugh. Why do I like this more than Shadow Dragon if I don't like the game for these reasons? Gameplay and characters. They're pretty solid.

3. Awakening: I like a lot of the music and enjoy being challenged. It also has supports, which Radiant Dawn lacks. Sure, it's totally different than the other games, but this game has a lot of replayability.

2. Heroes of Light and Shadow: Maybe I was lucky, maybe not, but my first playthrough of this on Normal was perfect. Absolutely perfect. It was very challenging for me, but not in a game over a million times and get lucky kind of way. You have to put a lot of thought into where you position your units, who will attack when and with what, when to use your amazing staves like Rescue and Warp, etc. It's a very fun game to play. I also liked some of the music, and I thought the slight change in art from Shadow Dragon to this made characters look less plain.

1. Path of Radiance: My favorite Fire Emblem. Ike is my favorite protagonist out of 6-13, it has my favorite music, some nice aesthetics, a thought-out world with the people in it making logical decisions. Oh, and the writing was pretty good. The first time I played this game was when it was released and a few months after playing my first game, Blazing Sword. All of the new gameplay mechanics that were introduced were fun to figure out and use, so yeah. I was even engaged with the gameplay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't played all of them, but I'll list those I've played, completed and sort of liked.

5. Awakening. I didn't really like any of the characters, the child system was weird and its story was not very fun, but I found the actual gameplay quite enjoyable.

4. Radiant Dawn lands a place here despite me not having finished it because of its kickass soundtrack.

3. Path of Radiance. Ike was cool and I liked a lot of the characters, and the overall plot was amazing. My only gripe with it was that it felt kind of stiff, but that might just have been my problem.

2. Blazing Sword. I liked all of the lords, the soundtrack was great. Plus, the GBA artstyle can't go wrong. Hell, I like everything about the GBA ones.

1. Sacred Stones. Who else saw this coming? It's my overall favorite game because I like SO MANY of the characters, more than in Blazing Sword. That's basically all it has over Blazing Sword. Oh, and the branching promotions. I love those.