Thread: UPDATED! Paragraph Tag is Back! | Story Formatting and Suggestions

The One True Pervert DonatorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

UPDATED! Paragraph Tag is Back! | Story Formatting and Suggestions

Salutations, my fellow forum members.

Today, I am here to show what a good creative writing thread can look like.
    Keep in mind that creative-anything is heavily subjective, so what I will explain here are simple rules or suggestions.

For the first post, users typically use it as an introduction post. This can be used to explain to the audience what your story is about; you can even insert a short synopsis! Still, it doesn't mean that you can't put your writing or the first part of it in the first post. However, if you choose to leave your first post as an intro only, please update the thread with an actual part of your story soon. Wouldn't want every writing thread to be ideas only now, huh? Though, what each post includes and in what order are entirely up to you!

If your writing is continuous, it might be a good idea to post in increments, meaning, different parts. Usually, these types of writings are long, so a table of contents can be made either in the first post, or a post dedicated to it.
    There are different ways to create a table of contents, but a good way to do it is to use the "link" tag. It looks like this: [ URL= ] (without spaces). There is a shortcut to it that looks like a globe in the advanced post interface. If you click on it, you can paste the URL of a certain post. You can get the URL of that post by clicking on its post number on the top right. Once submitted, it will look something like this:

[U RL="http://dev.pokecheats.net/forum/showthread.php?21898-First-Second-Post&p=471050&viewfull=1#post471050"]http://dev.pokecheats.net/forum/showthread.php?21898-First-Second-Post&p=471050&viewfull=1#post471050 [/U RL] (no spaces)

Notice the green text? You can change that so the text linking to the URL in the brackets is different. For example, you can change the text to say "Chapter 1", and then by clicking on the text, it will hyperlink you to that post! Try it out!

Another way to keep organized is to separate the text into paragraphs. You can do this by using the enter/return key!
    Like this!

Or this; notice the empty line above!
    You can also combine that with certain BB Codes, like the indent tag: [ indent ] (no spaces). If you haven't noticed, I've been using the indent tag this whole post! However, by using the indent tag, it indents the whole paragraph, which isn't what would happen on say, a word processor. There used to be a tag to indent only the first line, but is now null due to the merge of the forums. I await the day for it to come back.

EDIT! Thanks to @Kyohack and his kindness, the [ P ] tag (no spaces) is back! The P, or paragraph tag, is wonderful for formatting so that it looks similar to a real book! To use it, use the P tag on a block of text to indent it! It will act as a paragraph, so if you hit enter/return, and then type something, it will be as a line break was in effect! For example:

Hi! This is a really short paragraph that might or might not reach the edge of the post so that it can wrap around. I am randomly typing things right now, yayayayay. My favorite color is blue and I love corgi puppies; they're just soooooooo cute! My English teacher likes Pomeranians, but I think they're a bit feisty.
    Hi again! I'm a new paragraph! Notice the line break? That's because the paragraph before me had the P tag, but I do too! Without the P tag, there wouldn't be an indent!

But did you know that if you leave two paragraphs with P tags in the same line without pressing enter, it will start a new line without a line break? Check it out!

Hi! This is a really short paragraph that might or might not reach the edge of the post so that it can wrap around. I am randomly typing things right now, yayayayay. My favorite color is blue and I love corgi puppies; they're just soooooooo cute! My English teacher likes Pomeranians, but I think they're a bit feisty.Hi again! I'm another new paragraph! This time, notice how there's no extra space between this paragraph and the one before it? That's because we're placed on the same line in the editor! If you're confused, press "reply with quote" to see all of this text in the editor to get a better idea!

Here's the link to Kyohack's update post on the tag.

People may comment on your work, complimenting you or giving you constructive criticism! Make sure that when replying, you clearly distinguish it from another part of your writing! If your parts are long, then this isn't really necessary, but otherwise, it might be a good idea to title either your parts, or to title a reply.

And that's all! The rest is up to you!
    Last edited by EpicCh33se; 08-06-2015 at 08:26 AM.