Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Member Of The Month

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzi9816 View Post
    most popular, etc
    This is a bad category, and I feel if this system is implemented, we should avoid something like this. Simply because they're too difficult to give a good reason for having. You'd have to formulate a question around why you think this person is popular, or something along those lines.

That, or it would be something like this:

Most Popular: x

Give reasons as to why you think x deserves the title of most popular.

It just doesn't make any sense. I'm all for some non-serious nominations and some 'serious' nominations, but let's stay away from these dumb things you can't give good reasons to nominate someone for.

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    I think one of the key things that you have to consider when creating a ballot of sorts is that either you need to be prepared to come up with new ballot items every month or the things on the ballot have to have some fluidity.

For example, something like "Biggest Weeb" might be funny, but once you've all chosen your biggest weeb for the month, it's kind of unlikely that you'll suddenly change your mind come next month, making the question just kinda pointless the second go around.

However, something like "Most Active" (I know it's not super exciting this is just an example), provides room for other members to become viable options. Forum member A will probably always be the biggest weeb, but they might only be the most active during the summer.

I do agree that, as silly as MOTM can be, that members who participate in forum antics and make good posts should at least get some sort of pat on the back for what they've done, especially since likes are usually reserved for meme posts or posts with 1-liners, not for the cool kids who spend 20 minutes writing out elaborate thoughts and interacting with others.

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    memes deserve recognition!
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I really like how you're planning on using reasoning as well as the amount of votes, sorta like the Super Smash ballot. Makes it less of a popularity festival and more of a real judging, you know?

Also, since we are planning to have user-submitted articles and whatnot, maybe have a "Most Interesting New" category? Or "Most Accurate?" I don't know, just a suggestion.

Over there! *points at my house* Nice, inn't?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think this particular month should have less categories than the others. For now we don't know how many people will be here or how active they will be, what sections of the forum outside of forum games will get the most posts/threads/views, who fumbles the ball the least, etc.

We're still in the development phase, so maybe 5 categories would be good for now, then we could build up to 10 if this place builds some steam.

Oh, and I agree with Marissa completely. This could get stale really fast if we choose the wrong categories or don't change something up.
    Last edited by Shiningbolt; 08-05-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Worst troll pls.

I like the new member of the month idea though. I remember seeing how much that had to be filled out just to do MotM. I'm excited to see what the categories for MotM.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Huge thanks to everyone that has contributed thus far.

At this point I think the way to go is to divide the categories into two sections. The first section will be the serious business. This section will be consistent from month to month most likely. The second section will be the humorous or creative section. The categories here will vary from month to month.

As for what categories to pick, I am thinking of the first section of containing three solid ones worth more while the second section will have more categories than the first section however they will not be worth as much.

After pondering on the category selection the one category that I think should be always included is "The Helpful Member". The great thing about this is that it's easy to justify with a lot of words as opposed to saying a name with no real reason as to why a certain member is helpful.

The other two, I am a little stuck on. Originally I wanted to do "nice member" but that is quite cheesy. What I am thinking of doing is a category that benefits posts that are typically quantity over quality. (a multiple paragraph post over multiple 1 line shitposts in forum context) but idk how to describe it into a couple word category. Help on this would be appreciated.

If there are any objections to the ideas I moved forward let me know. Once the serious category gets developed we can move onto the non-serious category. I am thinking of having this thread stickied at all times so that you can drop off any fun suggestions at any time they come to you.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. (:

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainers14 View Post
    The other two, I am a little stuck on. Originally I wanted to do "nice member" but that is quite cheesy. What I am thinking of doing is a category that benefits posts that are typically quantity over quality. (a multiple paragraph post over multiple 1 line shitposts in forum context) but idk how to describe it into a couple word category. Help on this would be appreciated.
    Something along the lines of "Role Model Member" or something like would fit that imo
    Was it all worth throwing away?

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oof. That's a decent one. I like it, but I'll see what other people think before making an executive decision.

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3866-9448-9410
    I'm not sure about this, but maybe "best thread of the month" and "best post of the month" could make good categories? Also things like "funniest member", "member with the best personality" or "most interesting member".
    I am not too fond of a "most active member" category though, it might encourage spamming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12