Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to the Badge System

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    As a suggestion, I think it would be cool to have champion titles. So, for example, if Kanto badges are about making posts, the person with the most posts on the forums is the "Kanto Champion" and maybe the 4 runner-ups can be the "Elite 4" or something? If you wanna take it further, you could have 8 gym leaders for the 8 runner-ups after that. I know that's not really possible with the Hoenn badges or possibly some of the others, but I think something like that would encourage activity
    MP3 - Night Sky Patrol of Tomorrow [IA]

Spoiler!

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzi9816 View Post
    As a suggestion, I think it would be cool to have champion titles. So, for example, if Kanto badges are about making posts, the person with the most posts on the forums is the "Kanto Champion" and maybe the 4 runner-ups can be the "Elite 4" or something? If you wanna take it further, you could have 8 gym leaders for the 8 runner-ups after that. I know that's not really possible with the Hoenn badges or possibly some of the others, but I think something like that would encourage activity
    This is actually a really interesting idea! The problem for now is just that (since the forums JUST reopened) badges based on post rank are suuuuper close. So it's basically like an 18 way tie for second, with maybe two people tied for first. If it gets to the point of le old SS forums where there are clearly a few people leading the pack that might be nice, and I definitely think it could be cool for Johto/Hoenn.

Anywho, we'll see. I like this brainstorming and it's nice to see that people are thinking on their own about ways to increase activity and encourage posting! ^-^

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    @marissachu

I meant maybe a kind of scroll like the Member or Admin ones, only with the title and maybe a pic of said champion/whoever. Speaking of which, would it be possible to change the Pokemon listed next to the Member title? Maybe once we got to a certain level of posts? I mean, naturally, some pokemon would be restricted like legendaries and Arceus, but I'd personally love to make mine a Froslass or Dunsparce. It just seems kind of redundant to track post count with badges and titles at the same time.

Spoiler!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    @marissachu

I meant maybe a kind of scroll like the Member or Admin ones, only with the title and maybe a pic of said champion/whoever. Speaking of which, would it be possible to change the Pokemon listed next to the Member title? Maybe once we got to a certain level of posts? I mean, naturally, some pokemon would be restricted like legendaries and Arceus, but I'd personally love to make mine a Froslass or Dunsparce. It just seems kind of redundant to track post count with badges and titles at the same time.
    Unfortunately, the way that the banners/title things work is that each is actually it's own file (like the pokemon is essentially glued to the background). As much as I'd love to say it could be a flexible thing, it takes me a decent amount of time to edit in each Pokemon and I don't really want to go through and make hundreds and hundreds of new banners, only for maybe 40 to get used (at most). I couldn't just enable everyone to go out and make their own because there'd be just.. so many issues with that.

Short answer, that part probably isn't going to be happening in the near future. The only real reason they even got included in the first place is because they're kind of cute and Pokecheats already had all of the member ones so I just had to photoshop the Mod/Admin ones. If I have a lot of spare time you might see more of the banner/title things for people that've done really cool stuff, but this probably won't be a priority. (I do agree it's a cool idea though, and definitely might consider it later on when I have a bit of time.)

Soul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0302-0673-6494
    At the risk of going further off-topic:

Now I suddenly want to make some banners. If I can make some decent ones and send them to you, would you consider using them?

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by marissachu View Post
    Unfortunately, the way that the banners/title things work is that each is actually it's own file (like the pokemon is essentially glued to the background). As much as I'd love to say it could be a flexible thing, it takes me a decent amount of time to edit in each Pokemon and I don't really want to go through and make hundreds and hundreds of new banners, only for maybe 40 to get used (at most). I couldn't just enable everyone to go out and make their own because there'd be just.. so many issues with that.

Short answer, that part probably isn't going to be happening in the near future. The only real reason they even got included in the first place is because they're kind of cute and Pokecheats already had all of the member ones so I just had to photoshop the Mod/Admin ones. If I have a lot of spare time you might see more of the banner/title things for people that've done really cool stuff, but this probably won't be a priority. (I do agree it's a cool idea though, and definitely might consider it later on when I have a bit of time.)
    Done. You're welcome. Code is awesome: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7s...5808y5/pcb.zip

preivew:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well, I guess that solves that problem. At least, I hope so. Will these work, @marissachu ?

Spoiler!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    Well, I guess that solves that problem. At least, I hope so. Will these work, @marissachu ?
    Uh, if Garth/Zach want to negotiate how to allow such a feature. I appreciate @Dragonite's effort and obviously those appear suitable, but I was also only mentioning my own hesitations since I was the one who altered the admin/mod badges (which were non-existent before). It could be a cool feature but I don't even know how you would allow people to select their own Pokemon banner in terms of coding, etc.

tldr; They'd potentially work but I'll leave the decision up to someone who knows how to implement things like this.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Lol, "effort." Let's call it that.

As for implementation, I'd suggest sticking some sort of drop-down in User CP that lets you select whichever Pokémon you want (or have unlocked via post count or whatever) or something. The list wouldn't be pretty but it would get the job done.

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Decided to move this and other relevant forum threads here so they don't get clogged by the news system and you guys can see when someone unlocked a new badge.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast