Thread: ORAS

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567

ORAS

I'd like to know, how was ORAS for all you guys? Was it child's play? Did it refuel your passion for Pokemon? Do you still play?

I still play it. I always loved Hoenn, and ORAS is just so perfect that I just can't stop playing it. I'm almost done with the Pokedex too.

(100th post suck it fools)
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ORAS was a lot of fun. It was a major upgrade over Ruby and Sapphire by expanding more of the dialogue and making it feel a lot more personal. The redesigned regions were great and every new area felt really great. I loved the delta episodes as well. It gives a great new meaning to Pokemon, just wish it was a little longer.

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3866-8946-2232
    I loved ORAS. With Sapphire being the first Pokémon game I ever played, it really gave me a bit of nostalgia, wandering through Hoenn like it was brand new again. I loved the revision of the storyline and the incorporations of the new concepts into the already great 3rd Gen games.

I stopped playing OR after I gave up on hunting for all of the legendaries. I'm not one to spend a ton of time playing after I've beaten the game.

DonatorBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still haven't beat this game. I think I got 7 badges and then just stopped playing. Haven't felt motivated to go back to it. I don't think I have as much fun with Pokemon as much as I used to which is quite sad.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Emerald and X and Y were my favorites for a while, and it's only natural that a mix of the two would be my favorite! I'm doing a Nuzlocke of it right now, but I stopped since I lost my 3DS XP

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    Still salty because no battle frontier.
    Also sonrio you need to slow down holy crap.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0688-5832-4685
    I still haven't completed this game. I'm really REALLY liking it so far since Hoenn is the only region I haven't completed fully, and since I haven't played itbefore, I don't quite know what to expect, which makes a good adventuring sense.
    Ross the Boss, AKA THE DANGER RANGER

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    So, ORAS.

The good

I dunno if I just hang around the wrong parts of the Internet, but I've been seeing a lot of hate for ORAS ever since they came out. We must be playing different ORASes. I thought they were great. Not my favorite Pokémon games ever, but I'd still replay Alpha Sapphire in an instant if I didn't have my life summation of competitive StUfF on it.

It looked great, it sounded great - I've heard complaints about the music too, and imo anyone who complains about the music in ORAS should be strapped to a metal park bench in the summer and forced to listen to Harlem Shake for a month straight. It was pretty easy, not quite as bad as X and Y (I still played with the Experience Share off) and actually got a little challenging for me somewhere around the middle of the Elite Four, but that might be because I'm better at Pokémon than I was like three years ago.

The story was good for a Pokémon game, though not quite as good as the Gen 5 one (I consider BW and B2W2 to be part of the same story).

You can fly over Hoenn on a Lati. It's not an open world, but still, you get to fly over Hoenn on a Lati.

It doesn't have the Battle Frontier, but it does have the Battle Maison and since my primary goal is to get enough points to move tutor Fire Punch onto everything that's all I care about.

The Delta Episode was amazing, had me going "omg" for most of it and had me seriously questioning my knowledge of the Pokémon continuum by the end. And like pretty much everyone else on the Internet has already established, it did a nice job of leaving the plot for Delta Emerald Z or whatever wide open.

The thing with all of the legendaries at the end was a little weird and kind of felt like they were just being stuck there for the sake of giving us free Dialga, but it's a free Dialga so I'm not going to complain.

You can fly over Hoenn on a Lati.

Wally was still slightly more annoying than my little sister, but his remixed music at the end completely floored my jaw.

Wattson looks like Santa Claus.

Megas didn't feel as shoehorned in as they did in Kalos. They were there, but it wasn't like the game was saying "HEY, DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN MEGA EVOLVE YOUR POKéMON?!?!?" every five minutes.

The bad

Really had to think hard about what to actually put down here.

The water route bit was still there, and while I'm not going to give the game a 7.8 because of it there was still definitely too much water. You'd think they'd have listened to the primary complaint of RSE and stuck a few more islands and sunken ships and maybe a New Mauville Sidequest or three to break it up, but I guess not.

I still wish the Elite 4 and Gym Leaders still had a little more to them outside of the Pokémon League edifice, but that's something I've been complaining about long before ORAS so whatever.

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3866-9448-9410
    I really liked ORAS, even though I never played the original R/S/E games.
    Hoenn as a region doesn't really suit my taste all that much (all that damn water everywhere), but the plot and the Pokémon were nice. Haven't found motivation to keep playing after the Delta Episode though.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    After XY, ORAS were like a breath of fresh air for me, and they rejuvinated my love for Pokemon after XY nearly killed it.

Positives:

~The graphics are breathtaking
    ~The music is incredible, and I still listen to it on a daily basis
    ~The water routes were still there, which I loved in the original and still love now.
    ~Gliding was a welcome change of pace, and a very unique addition to add to the game.
    ~Wally.
    ~Like Dragonite said, Mega Evolutions weren't forced upon you like in XY. Yes, they were there, and people used them, but they weren't being shoved down your throat nearly as much as the abominations of Gen 6.

Negatives:

~The Delta Episode felt like a complete waste of time, and Zinnia wasn't that great of a character (actually kind of annoying, I thought).
    ~Going around trying to catch every legendary felt like a huge chore, considering I don't really like all that many of them.
    ~No Battle Frontier. Yes, there's the Battle Maison, but that really isn't the same thing.