Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoopa-Unbound Discussion Thread

Tournament VictorTournament ProctorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hoopa-Unbound Discussion Thread

Spoiler!

With 160/170 offensive stats and an excellent movepool, Hoopa-U is almost impossible to switch into. Boasting its signature move, Hyperspace Fury, as well as access to moves such as Gunk Shot, Fire Punch, Drain Punch, Psyshock, Focus Blast and Grass Knot, plus the Hidden Powers, Hoopa-U is a nightmare to face for defensively-inclined teams. It even gets Substitute and Nasty Plot.

What's your favourite Hoopa-U set?

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    My favorite set is the one where you bench it and replace it with something that doesn't look like it was inspired by Deviant Art.

No, really, 160/170 offenses don't go as far as they used to unless it has Specs, in which case it gets outsped by almost everything in the tier anyway. Its special defense makes it more of an issue imo. Mewtwo (all forms), Arceus, Darkrai and a few other things have slightly lower offenses (except Mewtwo Y) and enough speed and other redeeming qualities that they can reasonably expect to do other things, too.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    I actually really like Hoopa-U. Its offensive stats are monstrous when coupled with a Life Orb, and, like you said, its wide variety of different moves provide huge coverage for basically every type and it's very difficult to switch into and predict what it's going to do next. My favourite set is the one that Ubers told me to try, which is Hyperspace Fury, Fire Punch, Hidden Power [Ice] and Gunk Shot. This set is great because it can punch holes in many of OU's biggest threats, and it's very difficult to switch into, and anything switching into it will be dealt a hefty hit.

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    I don't like this thing because whenever I face it on showdown I freak out because I have no clue what it does. I did learn though that this thing can't take hits very well, and it's pretty much a glass cannon.

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    Invest in defense only since it can take a few hits with it's special defense.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa in Sun: 252-297 (83.7 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I haven't had many opportunities to use this thing, but maybe it's because I'm using it wrong. Oh wel
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    Yeah, its Special Defense is sitting at a nice and solid 130, with an 80 HP, so it can take Special hits. However, its base 60 Defense stat really isn't that great, so, like Sonrio said, investing in Defense is probably a really good idea.

Tournament VictorTournament ProctorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yeah, its Special Defense is sitting at a nice and solid 130, with an 80 HP, so it can take Special hits. However, its base 60 Defense stat really isn't that great, so, like Sonrio said, investing in Defense is probably a really good idea.
    There's no reason to invest in defense. You're supposed to take advantage of its retarded offensive presence. Only invest in its offenses and speed.

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    Base 80 speed really isn't that useful. You're gonna be hitting hard anyway.
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    After running a butt-ton of calcs, the only two things I found that can reliable switch into Hoopa-U, outspeed and OHKO are Dragonite, which has to have investment in Speed, and Kyurem-B. Any other Pokemon either outspeed but don't OHKO or are outsped and 2HKOd, so Speed can't really be that important on Hoopa.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    After running a butt-ton of calcs, the only two things I found that can reliable switch into Hoopa-U, outspeed and OHKO are Dragonite, which has to have investment in Speed, and Kyurem-B. Any other Pokemon either outspeed but don't OHKO or are outsped and 2HKOd, so Speed can't really be that important on Hoopa.
    Yes, but Hoopa needs speed to outspeed Heatran and base 70s-75s, such as Breloom and Scizor. Also, max speed with a Hasty (or Naughty) nature means Hoopa-U will be able to outspeed most defensive Pokemon, like Mega Altaria, Rotom-W and bulky Zard X.

And Kyurem-B is OHKOed by Focus Blast while Dragonite dies after rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast