Thread: Aphex Twin - A musical genius

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Post Aphex Twin - A musical genius

"The best musicians or sound-artists are people who never considered themselves to be artists or musicians. - Richard D. James"

For anyone who don't know who Aphex Twin (Richard D. James) is, he's a British electronic musician and composer, described as "the most inventive and influential figure in contemporary electronic."

That's no exaggeration.

He's released music under names such as AFX, Polygon Window, Caustic Window, the Tuss, etc., and he's been doing it for three decades now. If your first impression of electronic music is things along the lines of club party music, bass dropping dubstep, dance music EDM, Richard D. James is none of this. His music can border along the experimental edge, harsh and rough sounding, but then you check out another release and find soothing, relaxing, ambient music. That's the magic of Aphex Twin. This man is varied.

When you think of electronic music, you expect electronic sounds. Yet even though he creates electronic music, it doesn't sound like such. The way he masterfully uses his sounds, you don't feel like he's just creating electronic noise that sounds pleasing. It sounds like he's using that synthesizer as almost like an instrument. He's mastered the craft that well.

To show how varied this man is in his music, I'll provide several pieces for several different genres he's covered. I implore you to listen to the differences and uniqueness in all his works.

Experimental
    Spoiler!

Acid Techno
    Spoiler!

Ambient
    Spoiler!

Soothing, meditative? Hard to describe
    Spoiler!

Piano
    Spoiler!

Please, I beg of you, at least give some of these songs a little listen. Try one from each category, get a feel of his different styles. What I've shown so far doesn't even scratch the surface of his work. It's mainly the pieces I found exemplifies his works best or the ones I like the most. Tell me what you think. Don't like them? That's fine, people can have different taste. Even if you don't like electronic music, listen to his piano piece. Interested? Talk to me. I'm all ears for discussion on his music. While he may be recognized as a legend in the electronic music scene, I feel as though he's woefully unrecognized by the mainstream simply because of his label as an experimentalist electronic music artist.

Give it a listen, I'm sure you'll find something.

Man, I really need to get into What.CD and get all his works in FLAC...
    Last edited by Patriot; 08-11-2015 at 03:07 AM.
    "charlotte is ok"

Steam YouTube MyAnimeList

Spoiler!

Halftime ModeratorSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    hey isn't this the guy from TI5

if only my boy SMJ was here we could ********** about underground tibetan throat singing.

i've always been interested in AT but i never knew where to start, so honestly thanks a ton.
    OLD ENGLISH.

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    hey isn't this the guy from TI5

if only my boy SMJ was here we could ********** about underground tibetan throat singing.

i've always been interested in AT but i never knew where to start, so honestly thanks a ton.
    I'd say the ones I've linked are the more well known ones, well partly that and the ones I liked.

Thing is he has so much avaliable to listen to it's insane. In fact, a few days ago he literally dumped TONS of his unreleased work that was made in the 80s and 90s on Soundcloud.

http://user18081971.watmm.com/

Yeah, there's no end to them, and no one song is similar. Good luck.

BTW, out of the Soundcloud ones, I'd give 11 Donkey Rhubarb Remix a try.

EDIT:

Link for convienence.
    "charlotte is ok"

Steam YouTube MyAnimeList

Spoiler!