Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books

The One True Pervert DonatorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    When I was much younger, I used to read all day. Stuff like Geronimo Stilton, Gregor the Overlander, the Fudge series, Junie freaking B. Jones. I'm not sure if any of you know of the A.R. system, in which you get points for taking tests on read books, but I got over 230 or so points in second grade. I got a trophy.

These days, I've been reading a lot less, and usually only when necessary, like in English class. This year, we had to read a book every few weeks and write a report and do something creative with it. From this, I've realized that the reason I'm not reaching much anymore was because my tastes have changed. I found out that I like to read things like romantic comedies and chick flicks. Things like adventure or fantasy (arguably the most popular genres among my age group) just don't ring with me anymore.

Spoiler!

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    Quote Originally Posted by sonriopoby123 View Post
    i dont know man romeo and juliet was hilarious to me
    It's so bad I guess it could be considered funny.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I love reading a lot, actually. When I find a book that I like, I'll sometimes stay up till 3 am on school days to finish the "last few" pages. And by that, I mean the last few hundred. It's also a good time waster when you're waiting on being picked up, waiting for your next class during lunch on rainy days, etc.

I've always been a fan of fiction books. I really can't specify a genre, but you probably won't see me reading a non-fiction book unless it's a gaming history book or something (and a few of those are pretty good!) In fact, I think in 5th grade I actually was informed that 99% books I read were fiction, and only 1% was non-fiction lol.

A few good ones I like are pretty much any book by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson books and whatnot), the Hunger Games trilogy, Harry Potter, etc. I'm currently reading "House of Hades" since I would just like to finish that series, and I'm soo close!

And even though I said I'm not really a non-fiction guy, a really good book I recommend is "Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America" The title sounds a little fanboy-y, but it's a very interesting read, and Jeff Ryan has a pretty great style of writing.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I usually have a book on the go. Currently I am reading George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire. I am on book 4. Fantastic series, not much else to say about it.

Also, over the past year or so I got really into mystery novels. Went back and read And then there were none. I am hoping that my reading doesn't die down when school picks up again. It's tough to find time to read for yourself and for school.

Tournament VictorTournament ProctorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't like reading at all. I can't remember the last time I actually finished reading a novel. I did, however, read a Romanian book about North Korean labor camps a few months ago.

Cascade UserBoulder User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My favourite book right now is The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet. I don't even like historical novels, I always was a Michael Crichton/Stephen King junkie, but maaaaan is that novel worth it
    I also enjoy short stories compilations, especially from the early 1900.

Finally, in the fantasstic realism genre I always loved The Shadow of the Wind. That book is jut brilliant

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    1332-8198-6921
    I read warrior cats.

I am hyped for this book right now. http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/The_Apprentice's_Quest
    Had 1527 rep before rep system died.

AdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreeZaps View Post
    I read warrior cats.

I am hyped for this book right now. http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/The_Apprentice's_Quest
    >tfw when you read warrior cats the latest book was Long Shadows.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    1521-4249-4367
    I'm kind of the odd child. I'm great when it comes to English, unlike most of my peers it's my favorite subject. (A close second is World History) But I HATE fiction books. I'm more of a nonfiction person, at least I'm learning something.

I ,eat just go to the teen section of any bookstore and in it you will find sappy love stories, Hunger game clones and other crap. I mean, Divergent and the Hunger Games are pretty much the same darn book when you compare them.

When I was in middle school I read Warrior cats a lot but then found due to trying to fit in I never read them again. Girls I used to sit with told me it was for little kids and I sadly believe them and never read the rest of the series again. It's a shame too because I liked those books.
    Spoiler!

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    was going to reply to this thread like four days ago and sort of abandoned the post halfway through writing it . . . and then today almost accidentally hit "Cancel" instead of "Post." oops!

I used to read. A lot. In second grade, our class had this project where we would fill out a little index card every time we read a book and stick it on the wall outside the classroom, and me and one other friend filled out like half the wall on our own over the second half of the year (much great thanks to those fancy Magic Treehouse books). Once a week in elementary school we were supposed to borrow a book from the school library - yes, we got graded on filling out those little paper cards that the rest of the world hadn't used in about twenty years. Most kids just borrowed/renewed the same comic books and whatnot every week; I probably went through like half of the entire room by the time I graduated eighth grade. And yet somehow me and the librarian were mortal enemies anyway . . .

Also, Harry Potter. Started reading those some time in second grade also, and it was a downhill ride from there. Powered through the 190,637-word Goblet of Fire in like three weeks some time in . . . third grade; by the time Deathly Hallows came out, my family had to get two copies so the five of us wouldn't kill each other over one of them. 10/10 would do again.

My obsession with reading ended, hmm, sometime after I started high school but before I discovered THE INTERNET. Not really sure why. I started reading more nonfiction (outer space, botany, genetics, more outer space - the farther away from Earth something is, the more interesting it is - various computer languages, and . . . er . . . string theory?) and then just stopped reading alltogether, with the exception of a few scattered Terry Pratchett stories and the entirety of the Tunnels series (ordered the last one from the UK because I was too impatient to wait for it to release in America that fall).

Nowadays . . . I'll read a GDD like once a month? Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I hate reading books or e-books. I don't mind reading things online.

This is primarily due to the ******** we do in English class. English class ruined books for me. In English, I'm really bad at "making connections" to the various events and plot points on the books we have to read. The things you're supposed to "make connections to" are things that I would have never thought the author would include in a book. Books are also something you can't finish quickly. It's something you have to invest time into doing. Because of that, I have to be super into the plot or else I will quickly lose interest in that I'm reading.
    Really? I'm the opposite, I hated the stuff we did in English class but now I can barely look at the box art of a video game without thinking of what the writers were trying to tell us. Admittedly most video game plots are pretty crummy, but almost all of them still follow the three-act pattern that normal stories do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast