Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team work

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567

Team work

Do you prefer to work in a group, or to work by yourself? Why is that? If you said team, do you team up with preferably the same members you always work with? Does it depend on the situation at all?

It mostly depends, but I like to work in groups. I get more work done that way usually and I like talking with others instead of being alone in the corner concentrating.
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like to work alone. Whenever I have to work with other people, they either make me do all the work, or are too stupid to understand what to do, and I never feel like explaining it to them. If I'm going down, they're all going down with me.

I'm cool like the rain and hot like the sun, I'm a neon rainbow and you're no fun~

Spoiler!

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    depends on the situation. when it comes to creative things, i've been burned way too many times - collaborating with people on youtube who never turned in their half (COUGHCOUGHTSSCOMMUNITYCHANNELCOUGHCHOKE), people who say they'll help me make a game and proceed to tell me how i'm not using the right tree sprites, ad infinitum.

for actual important things, bleh. Sometimes I have to, but usually the people i end up "working" with end up equating everything with "optional," but sometimes that's at least better than nothing at all.

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    I feel like doing team work really brings forth the type A personality part of me. I spent so long in high school being forced into groups of people who just... never seemed to pull their weight. This pretty much ruined my interest in group projects since it always seemed to turn from "oh it'll be easier because it's split between 5 people!" to "oh now I'm doing 5 peoples' worth of work."

However, I do think working in teams/groups is an essential part of life in general (most of us will not grow up to be complete hermits), so I appreciate the value of trying to work in a group. The issue is just when you get a bunch of free riders who know you won't just accept a bad grade and will just have to do all of the work for them.

I have to admit though, I've had much more positive experiences with group work in college, particularly in higher level courses. I think it's easier to work with people who are all interested in the subject and who are willing to do work, and I've definitely had times where I don't feel like I'm doing enough, something that would've never happened in high school.

In general though, I'd say I'd rather work alone than in a group. There's way too many variables with group work, especially random groups, and I don't really like to leave my fate up to any level of chance when possible. Outside of school I'm generally fine with working as part of a team though (like in a sport/game/YouTube channel).

AdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marissachu View Post
    Outside of school I'm generally fine with working as part of a team though (like in a sport/game/YouTube channel).
    Marissa, chief spreadsheet google docs maker.

I'm an inward thinker, which means I have fantastic ideas from time to time. However, I have difficulty communicating these fantastic ideas to others and this can cause tension in group scenarios. I am - and have been known to be - a notoriously difficult person to work with.

However it's not that I dislike groups; it is that objectively I work better in smaller ones or on my own all together. If I have absolute control over a group, where my ideas are supported and not opposed, things should be extremely efficient.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I usually perform better on solitary assignments. However, I do enjoy collaborative assignments in JROTC because, in that program, everyone actually does their work and there's always someone who emerges as a leader to make sure work is done to the best quality possible.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm better at working alone for projects, and I usually try to do that if I can. Sometimes it screws me over, but it's helped me a few times. I can usually work well if I get to choose to work with people I'm close to, but I don't always get the chance.

For other things, I can usually work in a team. For Robotics, basketball, games, etc. But that's mostly because I get to choose my friends there as well, except for my Robotics team, where it's mostly because I'm not the best builder, and I'm not exactly what you'd call "observant." Heh.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    While I don't mind working in a team if the need arises, I'd much rather work on my own. I like to do things my own way, and I hate it when I work in a team and I put ideas in, and they just completely dismiss them. That's why I like working on my own, because if I have my own ideas and I think they could work, I'll use them.

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3866-9448-9410
    I cannot work in teams, no matter how hard I try. I think it's mostly because I'm awful at communicating my ideas. I also often feel like my ideas simply get ignored in group works.
    Maybe I just feel that way because I've always been put into teams full of idiots in school, but I can't change it now.

I prefer not to work with other people as much as possible because I tend to put things off until the very end and when I work with others, I feel pressured to do more work on time than at the end. When I do work with others, I try to pick people I work well with, such as close friends or acquaintances of whom are in the same mindset or situation as I am. I really hate being in groups that teachers pick because I generally get put with people who don't do crap and I end up working on my own but lying for them that they put in half of the effort so they get a good grade. I think I should really work on that sort of thing but w/e.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast