Thread: Metal Gear Solid

Pretty Good DonatorModeratorBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2879-0451-7117

Metal Gear Solid

With MGSV:TPP just one week away from release after being announced back in late 2012, I figure it appropriate to start a thread about this masterpiece of a franchise. The video above will be the last trailer Hideo Kojima will make for Konami before he leaves due to Konami in a nutshell just being the worst publishers and company to work with in the video game industry.

I started playing this back in either 2011/2012 with the original Metal Gear Solid which I bought from the PSN Store. Since then I have played through each game in the main series and it's just been a roller-coaster of emotions and thrills. The series has lead the stealth genre in video games to new levels and is constantly innovating with fresh and groundbreaking ideas. The story is amazing while complicated and gives the games a unique cinematic feel as Kojima's directing skills improve as the years go by. The contrasting natures of the games serious undertones but with occasional goofy Japanese humor littered around creates a unique dynamic approach in story telling and gameplay. You save the world from nuclear-armed walking bipedal tanks while sneaking around in a cardboard box and everything feels so surreal but you find yourself totally into it.

MGSV will be the final game in the franchise with Kojima's involvement before he leaves Konami to use his talents for other projects. Who knows whether or not we'll see another creation like P.T. if it's supported by another publisher. Nevertheless, Metal Gear is his masterpiece and is a staple in gaming history. I cannot recommend this series enough to those who are interested.

What are your thoughts on the series? Favorite game, character, enemy unit, etc.

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    I'm not the biggest fan of the series. I'm sure they're great but I haven't played any of them. I will say though that I have high respect towards Kojima for making this series and making the quality games that he does. I do have the 4th game in ps3 but it's been collecting dust. I bought it because it was 5 bucks and I figured it'd be good to play but now I'm second guessing myself because I haven't played the rest. Same goes for MGSV. I'll likely get it to support Kojima's last outing. Honestly my biggest exposure to metal gear would have to be snake in smash bros. Although I did watch projared play through the entire first game for the NES with the game grumps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2879-0451-7117
    If I had to recommend how to get into the series I'd say play the games in release order starting with MGS onward. The original MSX games are really dated and the plots for the two of them are explained rather thoroughly in MGS. The timeline is all over the place throughout the series and you need the knowledge the series gives you with each chronological release to really get a grasp on what's going on.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My experience with this series has been weird. Played all the games at different stages in my life.

I started out playing MGS when I was like... 6 or 7 years old. It was tough, especially trying to beat Psycho Mantis. That fight is stupid. Never touched the series again until I was in my early teens with MGS 2. I played that game non stop. I really wanted to play 3 but I could never find a copy with it. Since 3 took place in the cold war I thought it was irrelevant to the series. So instead I went ahead and played through 4. Just recently(like over the summer) I decided to prep myself for MGS V. So I went out and bought 3 over kijiji and played through the version with the poor camera controls. Now... My body is ready to embrace what is coming in metal gear 5.

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "charlotte is ok"

Steam YouTube MyAnimeList

Spoiler!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2879-0451-7117
    all i can say about mgs5 right now is that it's absolutely stunning. there's so much you can do in it i'm speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    i love this because if u equip the bionic arm and sprint and punch enemies they got knocked the **** out so hard. big boss is onepunch-man

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I haven't played MGSV yet, but I accidentally scrolled down to the youtube section of an MGSV review and spoiled myself the twist.

I hate myself.
    "charlotte is ok"

Steam YouTube MyAnimeList

Spoiler!