Thread: Manga!

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Manga!

Seems like a pretty vague title right? Wait till we get into discussion!

Manga, Japanese Comics. A lot of our favorite Anime often spawn from manga. So my question is to you: Do you read manga? Do you prefer manga to anime? How fast can you read manga? And what manga are you reading, finished reading, or want to read?

As for myself, I do love reading manga. I've certainly grown more adjusted to read rather than watch, because I've lost a bit of interest in watching anime, plus it helps me get through the bigger series really quickly. The manga I'm reading currently include Last Game, Bleach, One Piece, Shingeki no Kyojin, Naruto and Horimiya. I'd also like to MAYBE touch Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, also I'd like to continue reading Magi. Uh, Tokyo Ghoul and Air Gear also make this list. I'm up to reading anything to be honest. What I've finished... it's a big list. The World God Only Knows, Bakuman, Death Note, Kaichou wa Maid-Sama! Just a miniscule amount.
    I can read manga at different rates. If it's manga like One Piece, Bleach and Naruto (like 20 page chapters), it takes me a minute to go through each chapter. I'm a fast reader, and I can get through like 10 chapters in 10 minutes. For other manga like Shingeki no Kyojin and Last Game, I tend to take my time with it. I tend to enjoy the story so much, so I want to savor it before crying in my little shell for a month as I wait for the next chapter.

Balls in your court guys, I want some opinions!

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    I usually never read manga unless I'm really interested. I prefer anime because watching the characters do stuff then looking at still images is way better.

It's funny since the only reading I do nowadays is VNs and they're practically voiced and colored manga.

Oh yeah, one of the mangas I've read was Whistle! It's a soccer manga and I liked it a lot, which is unusual.
    Last edited by sonriopoby123; 08-29-2015 at 10:26 PM.
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I usually read manga based off games that I like, but that's sorta only because it's more accessible/easier to find. So, the Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Persona 4's, etc. I like it a lot, but my favorites would probably be the Zelda ones, since they have so much personality in them.

I would get more, but my book store doesn't have the most diverse selection.

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Eh, sometimes I read manga. I usually read it when I really liked the anime series. I can't really commit to things like reading a whole ton of chapters of a manga. That said, I really enjoy reading Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Noragami, and at times I'll read Case Closed/Detective Conan, but that's pretty much it. :V

#SHIROBAKO FOR SECOND SEASON | MyAnimeList | Deviantart | Twitch | Siggy Shop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    1521-4249-4367
    I read manga sometimes, but it's mostly because I liked the anime and the manga usually has a bit more info than the anime did. (Looking at you Fruits Basket.) But my anime/manga skills suck so I'm usually not one for really long manga series unless it's one I like.
    Spoiler!

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've read several on my phone. (MangaStorm app)

I've completed 11 so far, and am in the middle of reading (or waiting for new chapters) 24 series.

As for my favorites, Beelzebub, Horimiya, 20th Century Boys, Tokyo Ghoul, and GTO.

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/ssSithy
    "charlotte is ok"

Steam YouTube MyAnimeList

Spoiler!

The One True Pervert DonatorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Y'all need to read Gunslinger Girl. There are two translations for it, one which is retail exclusive and the other, which is online exclusive. I prefer the retail specific one. Books are about $15 and are omnibus' with multiple volumes. Barnes and Noble generally has them.

Anyway, Gunslinger Girl is my favorite manga. It's about a counter-terrorist organization called the Social Welfare Agency, who use mechanically modified, young girls and adult male "handlers" to do the job. It's an incredibly ironic story, as the innocence of these girls do not match up with all the despair and the killing that they do. Not to mention that they're basically brainwashed into doing these things in the first place.
    It'll be sure to make your heart wrench.

There's also an anime, but both seasons only cover like, a fourth of the series, and both of them are animated by different studios.
    Last edited by EpicCh33se; 09-07-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicCh33se View Post
    Y'all need to read Gunslinger Girl. There are two translations for it, one which is retail exclusive and the other, which is online exclusive. I prefer the retail specific one. Books are about $15 and are omnibus' with multiple volumes. Barnes and Noble generally has them.

Anyway, Gunslinger Girl is my favorite manga. It's about a counter-terrorist organization called the Social Welfare Agency, who use mechanically modified, young girls and adult male "handlers" to do the job. It's an incredibly ironic story, as the innocence of these girls do not match up with all the despair and the killing that they do. Not to mention that they're basically brainwashed into doing these things in the first place.
    It'll be sure to make your heart wrench.

There's also an anime, but both seasons only cover like, a fourth of the series, and both of them are animated by different studios.
    I actually started reading that. Well, kinda. I only had 4 chapters finished before I kinda forgot about it and got busy with other stuff.
    "charlotte is ok"

Steam YouTube MyAnimeList

Spoiler!