Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Shadow Unbound (fan game)

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Not a "real" update, but I got a few things done - most importantly, figured out how to get rid of the annoying blurry pixel effect in front of NPCs and other transparent textures.

Spoiler!

No download or fancy video today, but it did also finally occur to me to manually write down things when they get done:

Spoiler!

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    when are we gonna get rocket boots
    follow my epic twitter account @chairycoke

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    All right, again not a "real" update but I've spent most of the last week programming flowers so I might as well post this here so I can pretend it was worth my time. Explanation in video description.

Oh yeah, and here's the full texture sheet if anyone's curious (right click + "view image"):

Spoiler!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Well, today felt productive.

Here's a fancy dev log thing. As you can see, I tend to switch tasks quite often, which probably isn't helping me out too much.

Spoiler!

I'll probably have another video/download soon-ish.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    So I've spent a lot of time in the last few weeks fiddling around with various Key Item mechanics. Here's the Pokédex, which is now a Key Item because it's more convenient to implement it as an item than as a menu option:

And here's the Dowsing Machine, which envisioning in 3D was quite a lot of fun:

Also I lied about having another download to mess around with, still don't. But I do have a nice, convoluted changelog:

Spoiler!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    So I've been kept busy by a bunch of art-ish stuff over the last few weeks, resulting in me not getting as much programming done as I would have like to because I've been busy making 3D models and stuff.

I learned how to rip model/texture information from DS game ROMs - and yes, that's a completely different set of graphics than the sprite sheets you find on DeviantArt - so now a lot of the stone walls and things I have filling the world have a bit of a more cohesive graphical style (you'll see what I mean in the screenshots). They're not quite what I'd like them to be in some places, though . . . again, you'll see.

I've also got a bunch of Harry Potter (Unreal 1 and 2) textures and a TON of things from this web site somewhere and I'm going to try to extract a bunch of Skyrim/Oblivion textures later, but I don't have high hopes that those will look good in a Pokémon game. At all. Like, I've found a couple things on TR from Super Mario Galaxy that look all right, but not much.

Pictures:
    Spoiler!

Also added an option to change the game crosshair, because someone complained about the plain Poké Ball one. The last one totally wasn't stolen from Skyrim.

Spoiler!

Also figured out that the upper ceiling for number of triangles I can render/draw in the world before it starts lagging is 500,000-700,000, which isn't bad for Game Maker (about on level with the GameCube) but still something I'll have to worry about if I want to have the entire region AND the building interiors on one map. Things like chunking, making real low polygon models, and probably more (because after a certain point the sheer number of entities in the world becomes a problem, even if they aren't drawing anything). Not quite looking forward to that :/

Also my YoYo Compiler module got borked somehow. Getting that working again would help immensely, I assume :|

So, I've also started recording myself making a few of these, and I have more going up hopefully soon. Unfortunately my computer isn't quite the most amazing workhorse in the world and lags quite a bit when I try to do these, but hopefully I'll have plenty more of these.

Pokémon Battle Arena
    Pokémon Center

Fun fact, the maps in the DS Pokémon games can be extracted from the ROMs as single .obj models. Meaning if I re-textured and made a few collision models I could totally have you run around exactly Unova in first person.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    So it finally dawned on me to look at the terrain geometry of the actual DS Pokémon games, and that trying to emulate that would be (1) easier than what I've been doing before and (2) look better anyway.

Will add trees and tall grass and path "tiles" and more terrain features later on.

Spoiler!

Route 208, for comparison (with the camera rotated a bit):

Spoiler!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I finally put something together worthy of a download version for you to try, if you want that. See the bottom.

I finally began my foray into real map design! Made a floating island and I'm probably going to outfit it with houses and a town and stuff eventually, but I'm not quite sure what else to put in it.

Alternatively I could make it a sort of miniature forest/meadow/nature preserve, though I like the concept of having a city sitting half a mile in the air for no reason. Somewhat inspired by Zeal of Chrono Trigger and Eyan's totally going to be the Gym Leader.

More perspectives:

Spoiler!

please do not question the logistics of keeping a massive clod of rock floating in the air

There's also a bunch of other things, like this.

Also it seems that I've been forgetting to bore you all to death with the changelog. This one includes a very fun incident involving completely breaking collision detection and having to dig out a backup and start all over!

Spoiler!

Download

Here. Windows only, extract and double-click the executable to run it, all the usual stuff. Hopefully shouldn't trigger your antivirus, although one of the data files has the extension "vir" so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Tested the executable a little and it SHOULD do everything properly, though if you find anything let me know. You can run around and talk to people and run up the side of that round mountain because I haven't made a proper collision model for it yet and the slope is technically still within the game's "climb height" (and the unfinished mountains don't have collision information associated with them at all, yet).

You can hit F2 to go into the editor and screw around with a bunch of settings if you want to, it should be pretty self-explanatory.

Right click/press B to throw the physics ball, which is good for testing collisions with distant objects.

There's a semi-functional quest marker system, the dude that gives you a bunch of items has an exclamation point over his head, though unfortunately nothing you can do will make that ever go away.

If you're in the editor, you can leave it with F2 and the camera'll zoom back to where your character last was. If you want the character to zoom to the camera instead, hit Right Mouse + F2.

Escape pauses the game, you can quit or change a bunch of settings from there.

Have fun!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Never allow me to design user interfaces.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Watery effects.

There've been a few other things in the last, what, month? But I still want to have something that resembles a playable game before I do another big long write-up :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast