Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pokémon Shadow Unbound (fan game)

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    are we supposed to be swimming or are we supposed to be jesus
    follow my epic twitter account @chairycoke

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    there's supposed to be a Surf blob pokémon underneath you but i haven't bothered to add it yet

edit: i guess it's also not out of the question that the water's only puddle depth, but whatever
    Last edited by Dragonite; 09-19-2016 at 01:06 PM.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I meant to write this like a week ago but forgot

So, long story short, I finally compiled a playable version of this game. At least, I hope it's playable. More below.

relatively short because I only copied the parts that are included in the executable:

Spoiler!

Here's a sister video to the "water effects" one of last time.

Spoiler!

The interesting bit

This is currently a demo that does not contain plot, RPG battles or a lot of other things that are standard fare in completed games. But don't worry, as long as I don't die before I finish it, it will some day. Right now I'm kind of looking for people to fool around with it and find ways to crash it.

You can hit F2 to go into an editor which lets you throw around 3D objects, edit Pokémon, items, move data, etc. and a couple other things which may or may not work. You can zoom around with WASD like usual, and turn the camera with Middle Mouse. You can hit Right Mouse + F2 to jump the player to where the camera is in the editor - useful if you manage to clip through the terrain geometry or fall below z=0.

All of these links should go to a Google Drive folder that contains a Default.zip, a YYC.zip and a .gmz. Default uses the standard Game Maker interpreter and should work on all Windows computers but is somewhat slower, YYC has been compiled to machine code and should be considerably faster but may not work on computers with potatoes for graphics cards (example: mine), and the gmz can be extracted in Game Maker Studio to let you play around with the source code and let you laugh about how bad of a programmer I am. The parent directory also has a couple things in that which might be found interesting, but I don't remember if I enabled sharing on it or not.

Yes, these start at version 7.0.2.x. Shows you how long I've been screwing around with this. (Numbered versions not listed were probably shared for testing between me and my friends and never actually posted anywhere.)

Version 7.0.2.16

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I did a thing. Shooting stars spawn at night on average every 30 seconds. (Will write more when I'm feeling less lazy.)

Edit: here's a video.

Last edited by Dragonite; 10-27-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I'm feeling less lazy now.

Spoiler!

Main interesting things are the comets that appear at night time on occasion, the NPCs that follow you and the Pokémon that follow you. Especially the last one. I'll leave a video for the last one (although there are also videos for the other two things).

I'll also be trying to include semi-playable downloads more often now, since the game is sort of starting to take playable form. Same rules as last time apply. Also same as last time, the Default version should work but I have no idea about the YYC version because my computer literally can't handle my own compiled code.

Version 7.0.2.17

Current lines of code: 23,473

In other news, the Game Maker Studio 2 beta came out a few days ago. Been messing around with it a little. Looks extremely slick. Can't wait to use it once I get back into 2D games.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Again I'll save a big post for when I have another playable thing but here's the logical extension of the Following Pokémon thing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Whoa, has it been almost three months since I posted a major update in this?

Spoiler!

I haven't been updating that thing nearly as often as I should have been, but battles have officially been scrapped and this game is now entirely devoted to HMs, which I know the whole planet is going to be thrilled about.

Media

I'll update this post with video and probably screenshots tomorrow, it's kind of late and I want to sleep and stuff.

Download

Same rules as last time apply. Unlike last time, there's no Default version, only the YYC version, since I got that working on my computer and all the computers I've tested it on. You can have the source code too, if you want it.

Version 7.0.2.28

(You can assume the version numbers between the last one and this one were tests that I sent to my friends without officially putting out for the world to see.)

Update: game has several crashes. Since I'm moving on, I may or may not be fixing them.

Interested in game design?

Hit F2 while you're running around the game world and you'll have access to the game's debug mode. Or you can go into the game's filesystem and see what you can find. Feel free to play around, you might learn some things. (I will not be fixing crashes related to things that happen in Debug Mode, it's not the most stable thing in the world.)

Current lines of code: 24,506

It actually peaked at about 27,000, 28,000, don't quite remember, but I deleted a lot of scrapped features (and a lot of battle code) so it shrank quite a bit.

The end of Pokémon, and a new beginning

Yes, you just read that. For better or for worse, Nintendo's been way more pushy about enforcing their trademarks and all that jazz since even the last time I updated this thread, and between that and this game sticking out enough from the usual RPG Maker games I'm legitimately worried about getting shut down if this game ever gets big enough.

The source code and graphics and what have you isn't going anywhere. The Game Maker files'll still be in the download section for whoever wants to open it up and play around with it, and if the world of intellectual property ever relaxes itself (probably not) or if I'm still alive when the trademarks on Pokémon ever expire (it's complicated) I'll see if this project can still be opened up on future-generation technology and we can continue from there.

In the mean time, I'll be gutting the Pokémon graphics, data, sound, etc. from the VirgoNova engine and, at long last, making something original. Stick around, it should be a fun ride.
    Last edited by Dragonite; 01-30-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123