Thread: Imaginary Worlds

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215

Imaginary Worlds

So I've been wasting an unhealthy amount of time on /r/worldbuilding/ recently, and making games that aren't Tetris tends to involve world design anyway, which has got me wondering - how many of you have ever dreamed up your own fantasy world in some shape or another at some point?

That was a silly question, of course you have. Anyway, what was it like? How'd it go? Any general thoughts on how that would work?

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I always liked the idea of multiple game universes coming together into one big universe. so Link could send out a Magikarp, Mario could summon a Persona, etc. Then some idiots stole the idea from me.

What the heck is a "Wreck-It-Ralph" anyway?

Uhh, but seriously, I always wanted to make some sorta story where it's modern technology mixed with fantasy ideas. Having some trouble with magic homework or whatever? Check Google. In the middle of a fight with a dragon and you need to play some music or something to calm it down? "Siri, play playlist 23: Good-er songs for sleep." It's been done before, but a lot of the times they act like separate worlds, where my idea would sorta blend the two together.

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You bet. It had infrastructure and everything. Unfortunately, I suck at coming up with names, so I scrapped it. It wasn't that good anyway, I could always make another
    MP3 - Night Sky Patrol of Tomorrow [IA]

Spoiler!

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Uhh, but seriously, I always wanted to make some sorta story where it's modern technology mixed with fantasy ideas. Having some trouble with magic homework or whatever? Check Google. In the middle of a fight with a dragon and you need to play some music or something to calm it down? "Siri, play playlist 23: Good-er songs for sleep." It's been done before, but a lot of the times they act like separate worlds, where my idea would sorta blend the two together.
    yeah, for some odd reason magic goes really, really well with the medieval era but not so much with a more recent one. Even Harry Potter, which has been verified to take place from 1991-1998, is basically a slice of medieval glued into modern times. Seriously, where's A. P. Potions Class?

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I created (and am currently fleshing out) a world that's based on Ming Dynasty China. It's one large continent split into eight countries, each with its own ruling style and philosophy. In between each of the eight countries (or kingdoms) is no-man's land where demons (based on ancient Chinese Yaoguai) roam. Each kingdom is guarded (but not governed) by its own Guardian Beast, four of which represent directions, re: North, South, East, West, and the other four represent the seasons. Each Beast can form a contract with a single human, referred to as a "Guardian", who goes around killing demons that attack the kingdoms using specialized weaponry and powers relating to their Guardian Beast. There's also a cult that seeks to resurrect the king of the demons, who was sealed in the moon by the First Guardian Beast, whom the eight Guardians are trying to locate. It's a pretty large world, and I'm still trying to work out the details. (The comic "Trouble on the High Seas" in my comic gallery takes place in this world, despite no demons showing up)

-Insert quote about dragons here-
    |Deviantart|Twitter|Pixiv|

Boulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I once made a world based off of eight islands (explained later) that were pretty much a country that united due to threats of colonialism/imperialism from Europe, and it was supposed to be part of a story where kids from all over these islands, despite having biases against each other. There was supposed to be a a threat from drug cartel/gang trying to use these islands as a base of operations. I eventually scrapped the idea.

There was a "North" tribe that started in one island, and was a war mongering people, and members eventually went east to a nearby island (we'll call this Blank Island for now). They still remained allies. People in the "South" eventually were split. People who believed they simply fight to protect themselves stayed on the first island, those who wanted conquer their enemies went to an island southeast, while those who wanted to negotiate went to an island out east. Those who were indifferent or tired of the process went farther east. After a couple more centuries of warfare, people of both the "North" and "South" tribes went to an island northwest of Blank island to live secluded from the fighting. This island was the first to to be attacked by Europeans, and led for them to unify, and having an island for political discussions of how to conduct their nation.
    They purposefully chose an island that was a historic battleground.
    Spoiler!