Thread: YouTube Red

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215

YouTube Red

No thread on this yet? Y'all are slacking. Anyway, YouTube recently launched their "YouTube Red" program, which involves:

- Ten-dollars-a-month subscription
    - No ads (:O)
    - Save videos to watch offline (people did this before but without permission from the creators it was at best a dodgy gray area and at worst against the rules)
    - Integration with Google Play Music
    - Few more upcoming things such as "original shows and movies from YouTube's biggest creators" and probably a few yet-to-be-announced things
    - Maybe more that I have not been made aware of yet?

As usual for a big YouTube update, Red did not quite have what I'd call a solid landing, and by that I mean I've been right in the middle of it, read plenty of literature about it and STILL am not 100% sure if what I just wrote in this thread is correct.

Anyway, it seems like there's been more than plenty of confusion over the specifics of what's involved and how it affects people and whether or not your videos are still available if you don't agree to the new terms of service (spoiler alert: they're fine.) A bunch of MCNs (mine included) have automatically enabled the new TOS with the channels under them so as a result a bunch of us . . . never ended up actually seeing much of Red.

To be fair, not all of the weirdness seems to be YouTube's fault, the bit about privating some videos seems to be a bit of legal quagmire involving channels who have not OK'd the new TOS not being allowed to have their videos involved in the whole paid service thing, which raises questions like "what happens to all the talented people who haven't logged in since 2009 and might not still be alive? Do their videos just get locked up forever?"

Obviously there are going to be a bunch of updates on this as the problems get ironed out, and obviously they're probably going to screw up a lot of stuff for a lot of people before they get it working, but YouTube's also got a lot of money at stake here so there's a good chance they'll make an effort to fix problems with Red faster than they have in the past.

It seems like the subscription system is a net positive for creators over the unreliable ad revenue system, but there are a whole lot of variables involved in money, period, and I don't really feel like thinking about them all at 3 AM.

To me, the most interesting part (for right now) is that I can't just say "screw the money" and use video game OST as background in a video anymore because there's a chance that'll result in the video actually getting blocked from viewing, which is . . . interesting. For those curious and/or who might be affected, this is what they sent me:

Spoiler!

One of the other major points of interest is the ten dollars a month bit - this amounts to $120 a year, which is a pretty decent number of dollars. This, of course, depends on your person view on the balance of time and money and probably supporting the people you watch.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/te...n-service.html
    http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/10/red.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWNIoTjLbM

Go!
    Last edited by 。・゚・◝( ◕ ヮ ◕)◜・゚・。 ; 10-27-2015 at 07:51 AM.

All of my favorite characters die AdministratorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2148-8282-2003
    I have to admit I'm in the same boat as you for now - I'm not sure of the details regarding YouTube Red yet, and I got a similar email regarding one of my own videos. I don't like the idea personally, since YouTube shouldn't have paywall content in my opinion to maintain it's image of being a user content friendly environment.. But I have to admit, if some of the big YouTube personalities go behind a paywall, I bet that they'll rack up the subscriptions.

Personally, if they do put a lot of the content I watch behind a paywall worst case scenario, then I still won't buy it because I'm cheap. But considering Internet subscription prices nowadays, I think it's a few $$ too expensive. I think it should be around $5 or $6 a month. YouTube has a huge amount of content, but unless Triple A content like movies and stuff are included in this, I don't think it's a reasonable price for user-created videos.

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    It seems like a decent thing to implement, so I'm all for it. They're mostly little features that are easily gained through third party apps, or not that big of a deal, though.

It very much reminds me of Twitch Turbo, where you have to pay on a monthly basis just for no-ads, the little icon, and a couple of other small perks, but plenty of users certainly have that!

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    So, just to be clear, Youtube Red doesn't affect the current viewing experience? It's just an expansion of sorts, I assume?

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Except for the videos-getting-blocked-for-silly-reasons part, it seems like it.

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    I'm SUPER concerned about this. I get that the basic premise isn't too outlandish, it's basically like a supercharged Twitch turbo (though $10 a month seems kind of on the high side...). However, there's been a lot of talk about who gets the money from these descriptions, and how that money gets distributed to content creators. The majority of money that YouTube creators make is from ads on their videos, and YouTube Red could have really serious affects on a lot of smaller/moderately sized channels depending on how many people partake in this and how much of the money content creators actually get. Initially there was talk about YouTube Red's free trial (which many people would surely partake in) not paying content creators when trial users consume their content, but there's been talk that they may actually be paid.

I've seen a lot of youtubers that I like sort of panicking over the potential effects of this, and just hope that this doesn't have really bad consequences for the YouTube community while Google makes a ton of money off of this venture. Sigh.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by marissaboo View Post
    I'm SUPER concerned about this. I get that the basic premise isn't too outlandish . . .
    Most creators I've seen have a pretty mixed reaction to it, for various reasons, and a lot of Twitter seems to be up in arms about both real and made-up issues. As a whole, I'd say that so far Red's launch has been orders of magnitude messier than the G+ of two years ago, which is impressive since back then we didn't think it was even possible for such a big company to screw up so colossally.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with the "not paying creators for first month" bit. YouTube isn't stupid; Google employs arguably the smartest software engineers on the planet, but any six-year-old could tell you that not paying the people who bring in your money is a very, very bad idea. Like, I never thought labor laws would have many applications on YouTube but I think we just found one. edit this isn't an EXPLICIT comparison, up until like three years ago most of us were doing this for free and a little before that everyone was, but the point is that it's really, really not a nice thing to do. Interestingly, we might not actually notice a dip in earnings because the month is November, which is when ad revenue goes through the stratosphere because holiday marketing and companies in general blowing their remaining ad budget.

Third, I'm not sure if this is part of the Red update or not but I think I've found another really, really big problem (sorry for putting @X!! on the spot, but this was the one example I have atm):

edit: it's gone now.
    Last edited by 。・゚・◝( ◕ ヮ ◕)◜・゚・。 ; 11-03-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: bleh