Thread: How hyped are you for Cloud?

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671

How hyped are you for Cloud?

Just wonder how much everyone is looking forward to playing as him. We briefly mentioned him in the Nintendo Direct thread, but perhaps we could go into more detail here.

Personally, I think it's friggin awesome that he's in! It really shows that the Smash Ballot actually counts for something. I assumed that the Ballot was mostly just for show, and they were just going to bring back lame clones like Wolf and Pichu.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    To be honest, I don't think I could be less excited. Sure, he looks like a great character, but I don't like FFVII and I don't like Cloud. I understand that he's the most iconic and popular character from the Final Fantasy franchise, but...I just don't like him. I guess it sort of opens up the fact that a lot of unexpected characters could possibly get in, but that doesn't make me any more hyped up for Cloud.

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    PICHU IS NOT A LAME CLONE WTF I QUIT

But seriously even though I've never played a Final Fantasy game outside of Tactics Advance (not out of lack of wanting to, more out of lack of time/proper consoles), I'm really really hyped about this. I think it's really cool to get a FF character is Smash and I'm really happy for all the Final Fantasy fans that are losing their danged minds over this. Should be really neat!

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @marissachu Pichu isn't a lame clone. Pichu is a sucky clone. PIKACHU MASTER RACE BAAABYYYY

*********** aside, I am not too hyped for Cloud. It's cool that a square enix character got in but I was never really big on final fantsay growing up. If I played FFVII when I was younger I probably would be.

Maybe when I play the remake whenever it releases I'll start to warm up to the idea of Cloud in smash.

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    Zach you just opened my rage. I agree pichu is a lame clone but WOLF IS NOT!!!!! Wolf is pretty much unique in every way besides final smash.

Anyways, onto the topic of Cloud. I didn't really feel one way or another about him, although I can see he's a mix of Ike and Shulk in terms of moveset. I know it's early to judge based on a trailer but from what we've seen he looks BROKEN. Ike is a high tier character and adding something like limit break to a similar moveset is crazy. With all that said, I'm happy he's in simply because we get FF music.

Spoiler!

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    what just happened in here

I don't Smash, but I'm actually kind of glad Cloud is in the game. It's a trace of the elusive "nintendo opening up to third party" thing we've been not seeing since, eh, forever. And since FF7 sold just shy of ten million copies I don't think there are many better third party characters do do it with. You know as well as I do that we won't ever be seeing Trevor Phillips in Smash.

Also Twitter seems to think that this means we're getting the FF7 remake on NX, so that's kind of nice. The original was nice, but it's aged about as well as an overripe banana.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm decently excited. I don't really like Final Fantasy 7 as most people, but I have fun sometimes.

I'm mostly excited for his gameplay. It looks like it'll be something really unique in away, and he'll probably be the second or third DLC I buy.

The One True Pervert DonatorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was actually playing in a Smash tournament at school when a friend in the room shouted "HEY GUYS, A SMASH BROS TRAILER," and I was like "What?! Is it the ballot?!?!?!"

So everyone rushed over to surround his phone and we stared in awe as the trailer played. I did not expect it one bit, but I am freaking hyped.

All of my favorite characters die AdministratorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2148-8282-2003
    I personally have never played FF7 so I'm not a huge fan of Cloud in general, and I won't get any of the cool references that they're putting in.. but I think it's pretty cool. Ryu and Cloud are both really awesome characters from games that are certainly not first party Nintendo games. I think it's great that they're included! It makes me feel like some of the characters I used to dream about being included from other series might have a shot now.