Thread: Weavile Discussion Thread

Tournament VictorTournament ProctorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Weavile Discussion Thread

Many of you probably know but Weavile is my all-time favourite Pokemon.

Weavile is a Dark/Ice-type Pokemon with 120 attack and 125 speed, making it a fearsome revenge killer in OU. What makes Weavile one of the best Pokemon to use in OU is the fact that it can exterminate a ton of popular Pokemon, like Garchomp, Latios, Starmie, Gengar, Serperior, Landorus-T and Mega Altaria. It has a few interesting tricks besides the cookie-cutter Knock Off and Icicle Crash, such as Ice Shard as a priority attack, Low Kick for Terrakion and Tyranitar, Poison Jab to hit Azumarill and Clefable and Pursuit to trap Latios, Latias, Gengar and Alakazam. It can even use Swords Dance to boost its attack and clean at late-game.

Of course, Weavile has a lot of flaws. It has a downright useless ability, it's pretty frail, especially on the physical side, which means it's very vulnerable to priority attacks, especially since it's also weak to SR. It has some coverage problems, considering Low Kick and Poison Jab aren't powerhouse moves and can't always OHKO their targets unless Weavile has a Swords Dance boost. Also, it has no means to get past some troubling fairies and steel-types. Despite this, Weavile is something to watch out for.

What's your favourite Weavile set to use in OU? Have you ever played with it in XY?

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I like Weavile. I hate it when someone has Bullet Punch or Mach Punch.

Ahh.... THe wonderful game of pokemari. PLay with Yoshimoto today!

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    I like Weavile. Too bad it's extremely predictable compared to some other pokemon. Not a whole lot of viable sets to use. I've always liked its design and as you stated, it's a powerhouse.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    Weavile is an incredibly powerful Pokemon. I really love this Pokemon, because it's huge Speed and Attack stats mean most of the time it can easily outspeed and get a huge hit on the opposing Pokemon. Pairing it up with a Focus Sash means you can give it Swords Dance, which skyrockets Weavile's Attack stat tremendously. My favourite set is probably:

Weavile @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Low Kick
    - Icicle Crash
    - Knock Off

I really love using this set. Focus Sash guarantees at least one SD, which really helps this set. Icicle Crash and Knock Off are the obvious STAB attacks of choice, and Low Kick provides excellent coverage, as well as putting down Pokemon that normally wall it, like Magnezone and Heatran.

The problem with Weavile is it has quite a wide variety of moves and, sometimes, it can be difficult to choose what would work best. Knock Off, Icicle Crash, Pursuit, Ice Shard, Poison Jab, Low Kick, even Fake Out. However, it hits like a truck and has high Speed, making it a very dangerous threat in the current metagame.

Tournament VictorTournament ProctorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Idk about Focus Sash. Weavile really needs all the power it can get since its STABs aren't exactly powerhouse.