Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yokai Watch

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671

Yokai Watch

Anyone else have this game? I'm sure most people have heard of it as "that new Pokemon rip-off." While it will never replace Pokemon for me, it's actually one of the best video games to come out in a while.

I initially didn't like it when I got it, but I actually have nothing but the highest praise for it now. It's got something the Pokemon games lately have been seriously lacking: life. The city that the game is set in is huge and is completely filled with stuff to do, unlike the mostly barren landscapes of X/Y. The most impressive thing about the game is the sheer amount of content; each Yokai gets a story of their own, and there are countless quests and dungeons. The story is charming and funny, I've found myself laughing on countless occasions. It's got lots of interesting tidbits of Japanese culture, and presents many interesting scenarios about Japanese mythology.

Yokai watch is a great game, and the only minor criticism I have about it is that the combat isn't fully turn based so it can feel overwhelming at first if you don't know what you're doing.

However, it's a 10/10 game overall! What's everyone else's thoughts on it?

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I've heard a lot of the "Pokémon rip-off" thing too, though after looking at the video/screenshots I'm not completely sure why that's the only thing Twitter likes to say about it. I probably won't get it any day soon because my bank account just got pillaged by Steam but it probably will be one of the next 3DS games I go after.

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    the demo was so confusing at first but i thought it was fun! i dont think ill be getting the actual game anytime soon but im sure its good
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    I was super interested in this game, but honestly, the demo wasn't that fun to me. I loved everything about the game EXCEPT for the battle system, which is a huge thing I look for when it comes to RPGs. I might get it for Christmas.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    I've heard people like MunchingOrange, Shady and Nappy raving about this game on Twitter, and I've seen a small amount of gameplay footage, and it looks really fun! I wasn't actually aware that there was a demo, so I may have to check that out xD

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    I was super interested in this game, but honestly, the demo wasn't that fun to me. I loved everything about the game EXCEPT for the battle system, which is a huge thing I look for when it comes to RPGs. I might get it for Christmas.
    I didn't like the battle system at first due to it being "semi-automated", but there's a ton you still do. You can change Yokai's natures to influence the chance of them doing certain things, use items, and specials and negative effects require you to do things on the touch screen. The most fun part is the boss battles, because you select different areas of their body to attack. The boss battles are really creative and fun, actually.

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    Why have European 3DS games gone back in time like 10 years to when we had to wait several months for everything? ;;
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoghy View Post
    Why have European 3DS games gone back in time like 10 years to when we had to wait several months for everything? ;;
    Don't feel too bad; it's been out for two entire years in Japan already! They already have 3 games there.

#NeverForgetPokemonXYWorldWideRelease

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoghy View Post
    You guys just got Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam. Shh

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    Oh no, a whole month.
    (To be fair Fates could take not-very-long but who knows?)
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast