Thread: Pokémon VGC 2016 Rules Revealed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pokémon VGC 2016 Rules Revealed!

The 2016 Pokémon Video Game Championship Rules have been revealed. Most notably, this year is unique because it will allow up to two "Uber" Pokémon to be used on each time. These "Uber" Pokemon include: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.

What impacts will this change have upon the VGC metagame? Do you think it is a bad change, or a welcomed and interesting addition?

The basic rules are listed below:
    "All battles will be Double Battles played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

Time limits for battles will vary by event. At major events (Regional Championships and above), battles will have a 15-minute time limit, 45-second move timer, and a 90-second Team Preview.

Pokémon brought in via Poké Transporter will not be permitted (the blue pentagon is required).

All discovered Pokémon will be allowed except the following Mythical Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa.

Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.

All items will be allowed except Soul Dew. Each Pokémon must hold a different item."
    Last edited by Zachgoose; 12-09-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    Quote Originally Posted by NewsBot View Post
    The 2016 Pokémon Video Game Championship Rules have been revealed. Most notably, this year is unique because it will allow up to two "Uber" Pokémon to be used on each time. These "Uber" Pokemon include: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
    You just know every team is gonna have Mega Rayquaza and a Primal. This is so predictable :^)

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    I try to limit my Extra Credits quoting but I think it's time that we start beating Game Freak over the head with the concept of "first order optimal strategies" and how they're not supposed to overpower "every single other strategy." Unless Mega Ray got a huge nerf in the last two months and I didn't hear about it, idk.

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Nah, you're fine. I think Extra Credits has some great principles on game design. :P

Personally, I don't like this change because it will certainly over centralize VGC being around support/countering these ubers. Also, it sort of defeats the "pick 4 Pokemon to go into battle" concept, since your opponent already knows that you're guaranteed to bring two ubers just because of their raw stat advantages.