Thread: Using math irl.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215

Using math irl.

So sometimes it dawns on me that I'm sitting in front of pages and pages of various types of mathematics for one thing or another (usually probably related to something about making video games)

Spoiler!

and I know I'm probably not the only one who sometimes uses a calculator while not in class. Right? So what about you nerds?

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    I'm by no means a mathematician so this may not be as interesting as some of our math/physics/engineering/compsci folks, but I definitely use basic algebra on the daily. I probably use fractions the most when I bake, especially when doubling or halving recipes. When I was a kid I used to try to figure out the amount of change owed before the cashier would tell my parents or calculate the number of coins before Mario Party would total it in some cases, and I still use some basic math of that sort. Mostly mental math though, I hardly ever break out the calculator even when it comes to tipping at restaurants.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Whenever I am watching TV, I always want the volume set at a level that is divisible by many numbers. I pick volume levels such as 24, 36, 48, 20, 45.

And each time I pick the number I always name the potential factors in my head before picking the volume.

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    I think math sucks.
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'll use a calculator for a tip and that's about it.