Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Very Important Suggestion

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    The merge has done nothing at all; in fact, it's done more harm than good. Post counts have been reset and the same old, generic threads have been made again. That's all that has happened. What is the point in paying for a forum that is very much on its way out? There isn't enough incentive to post and be active here, since the Market has a few silly little things that provide no substance whatsoever. Stop kidding yourself and stop trying to give everything you can into a forum that's been dead for a while now, because there's no point anymore. The forum is dead, everyone just needs to face that and move on with their lives.

Furthermore, with regards to what Xero said:

Quote Originally Posted by Xerodragon12 View Post
    But what you fail to see is that you are also the producers. It's your posts, your threads, and your interactions that drive the forums, not the staff's. The staff exists solely to ensure that the content that does exist stays within the bounds of the forums. We manage interactions, not bring them to life. In other words, we, the staff, exist solely as quality control. We contribute what we can from time to time, but ultimately, you guys are the ones who need to produce your own drive and your own incentives to post.
    No, absolutely not. There is an equal expectation from both the staff and the regular members to create discussion. For the staff to "contribute from time to time" simply isn't enough, and is part of the reason that this place is going down the drain. The lack of activity from the staff makes them come across as lazy and demonstrates that they lack conviction in the state of the forum. There is nothing that says that staff are only here as "quality control" because you should be attempting to make conversations as much as the rest of us are. It sounds as though you're trying to put yourself on a pedestal by saying that because you are higher rank than us, you don't have to do as much.
    Last edited by GengyGengar; 01-10-2016 at 07:21 PM.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Man.

What great discussion going on. I am going to contribute my 2 cents to the pile of all the other cents and watch as it gets completely ignored and feels worthless, because that's what it feels like what happens whenever you contribute content to this ****** website. (censored word is synonym for poopy in case you were wondering)

I do not want to speak on behalf of the staff so I just going to say how I feel and now how the staff feel.

Getting to the core issue, of why the forums suck, it's honestly kind of simple. I wholeheartedly believe that there is a lack of care in what some say and post.It's such a horrible feeling when you post a couple lengthy bodies of text onto a thread you find really interesting only to feel like it gets ignored or glanced over. It's just sucks. I understand that the majority of us have a limited amount of time and it takes a while to make quality posts and to read other's posts. But way back when the forums were good, a main reason why they were so good was because stuff actually felt like discussion. You would post multiple times in a thread and started to form a nice dialogue. Nowadays here's how a general thread works.

>cool, neat, topic
    >person1 contributes
    >person2 contributes
    >person3 contributes
    >person4 contributes
    >person5 contributes
    >repeat until thread eventually dies out

Back when the forums didn't suck, there would be more of 1 and 2 banter and maybe 3 works off of 1 and 2 maybe. But all of that is gone. Threads just seem stagnant and no one really cares. What I am trying to get at is basically the lively parts of responses are basically dead. Now I know this is not always the case but it happens often enough to be considered a problem in my eyes.

And if you are looking at me and wondering if I think this is more of a member problem than it is a staff problem, Yeah that's what I think. To be frank, administrative stuff works only if there are members who are there to support them and when I make motm and get 6 responses, then I will not feel like doing the next month because no one cares. Sure the staff can contribute more threads and announcements but news flash, staff are members. What we say about members also applies to staff.

Now I know I am not the greatest of administrator's so idk what to do from the administrative side, but I have been at this website for too long, and I have seen it at its best and also at its worst. If you guys honestly believe that the website needs to get better, try caring about other people. It makes me upset how much you guys flame each other in arguments and I want to have a civil discussion about this issue. So I will be more than willing to respond to what you guys think.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainers14 View Post
    Getting to the core issue, of why the forums suck, it's honestly kind of simple. I wholeheartedly believe that there is a lack of care in what some say and post.It's such a horrible feeling when you post a couple lengthy bodies of text onto a thread you find really interesting only to feel like it gets ignored or glanced over. It's just sucks. I understand that the majority of us have a limited amount of time and it takes a while to make quality posts and to read other's posts. But way back when the forums were good, a main reason why they were so good was because stuff actually felt like discussion. You would post multiple times in a thread and started to form a nice dialogue. Nowadays here's how a general thread works (ctd)
    Thank you, at least acknowledge that there's a problem instead of, just, whatever q4 2015 was all about (tainers, and also a few other people so far). I don't care whether or not you make this Serebii II or not, but the place is bone dry in 6 months and I'm the only one who notices I'm going to be kind of annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainers14 View Post
    And if you are looking at me and wondering if I think this is more of a member problem than it is a staff problem, Yeah that's what I think
    something about semantics and keeping promises better than Eyan did, I attacked that enough in my last post about this and don't feel like spending the rest of my night on it (again).

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    clearly the userbase is the manager of the forums not the actual people who run it. youre expected to post 10 times a day, excluding pfg! get to it!!!
    Was it all worth throwing away?

Tournament ProctorDonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    Quote Originally Posted by marissachu View Post
    I just get so confused by these threads. Like, there's a few options for people who realize that the forums are become inactive and "dying":

-Leave, you don't have to be here.
    Great line to say to someone who explicitly said they themselves don't want the forum to die.

-Post more and encourage your friends to post more.
    Could it be? Is the reason why we don't post because our friends don't tell us to? Sure, let's put it that way. Be a leader, not a follower. But wouldn't it suck if you were to post and your friends STILL don't contribute?

-??? Probably other things that are actually productive??? Brainstorm? Pose real questions?
    I really don't like your attitude, so I'm not gonna post.

It seems so counterproductive to me to just post about how crappy some place is-- if it's crappy and you want it to get better, improve it. If it's crappy and you don't want it to get better, leave. Running around like a chicken with its head cut off regarding how HOOO BOY THE FORUMS THEY'RE JUST SO **** NOW, RIGHT?!!? does no one any good and contributes to the very death y'all seem so obsessed with.

Shut up and get out or do something with your lives, jfc.
    Yikes.

Whatever happened to the massive influx of users that the forums were supposed to gain? What did we ever decide to help us gain members? The main Pokecheats website? Nintendo WiFi is dead. Serebii and Bulbapedia are literally the only websites you would need for Pokemon news. There are several mainstream websites already doing several things we do better. Oh, you're saying we'll get popular the more we cover? Well just how are we gonna get people to visit in the first place.

I remember when we used to have newbies from Eyan's channel posting here everyday, posting their Pokemon teams and asking Eyan for an opinion, although he would never see those threads. It's saddening, because everyone lacks motivation to post as we're just not popular anymore, and will probably never will be.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2063-0136-8567
    Oh and a posting ettiquette thread would be nice so people can learn not to post massive blocks of text.

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    If you want to see a post that's not just me being irritable and responding to this thread then read tainers' post because he was a lot more eloquent and less of an ***.

Usually I would try to be nice and productive but I've literally seen people "welcome" potentially new members (yes there's been like 3) by saying things like WELCOME TO THIS DEAD ****** FORUM LOL. Yes, I'm sure that's not the case with some of you who actually care, but there seems to be a strange amount of people who keep coming back just to complain in chat about how bad the forums are.

Clearly there's issues with both staff and the member base. A bunch of you seem to hate it here but don't want to make suggestions about what maybe could be done or what you'd like to actually see, just yell at us and post just... so many threads about how the forums are dead. What do you expect, that people will become more energized and actually want to participate when they see your meme threads about how they should resent this place and all the people in it?

I'm sorry if y'all are offended that I think counterproductive threads that are basically just rants or shitposts and not you know... helpful, are incredibly irritating to read. If people had actual suggestions and believe there is actually some glimmer of hope then sure, go ahead, but I'm sick of the negativity around this space. I don't know that I've heard someone say nice about this place in years, even back when things were actually pretty decent, and eventually that makes me tired of reading complaints no one person can solve from people who don't really want things to get better anyway.

Also I clearly don't have the ultimate perfect solution or I would've just friggin' done it. I tried for several months hence why my post count is actually half decent for a staff member but eventually it got to the point where, as I'm sure many of you yourselves have realized, there was nothing I could do. Complaining that I have a bad attitude and don't have all the answers while the same is true of yourselves fails to address the "actual" topic of this thread and demonstrates the exact reason I'm so sour.

PS I'm sorry to those who were disillusioned by the "bust" of a merger, but no one seems to ever acknowledge that one of the main reasons we merged was to make it so Garth wasn't balancing two separate servers or something in his domain that I can't articulate because I'm not knowledgeable enough, not like the prior PSN merger that was for a different purpose. I fail to see how remaining on superskarmory.net would have changed anything, so I'm still unsure why this was coming up.

PPS I do appreciate Sonrio for actually making a productive suggestion that we should maybe have etiquette threads or w/e although I don't know that anyone would read them at this point since apparently we're all experts on everything and do everything perfectly so why would we ever change ahahahahaha

AdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Beating the dead horse of a discussion I've witnessed for five years.

I don't like most of you, and think your opinions are awful.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Basically, the mods are right. It isn't their job to make us talk amongst each other. We have to do that on our own. We need to take initiative and create the discussion that we want to see happen and partake in.

For the staff to "contribute from time to time" simply isn't enough, and is part of the reason that this place is going down the drain. The lack of activity from the staff makes them come across as lazy and demonstrates that they lack conviction in the state of the forum.
    No. The staff, as with the regular members, have no obligation to post against their will. They may post whenever they and at whatever frequency they desire. They are human, just like us.

clearly the userbase is the manager of the forums not the actual people who run it
    Considering that the format of an internet forum is so that members create and contribute to the content, the corps of the users has just as much of a responsibility to produce content than those in the administration. So, no, it is not at all unreasonable to expect users to be more active themselves if they want to see more activity.
    Last edited by Sylveon; 01-11-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    I don't want to argue about this again and I haven't really read everything but I'm going to jump in anyway:

Back in 2009 and 2012 everyone was much younger and oftentimes this was their first proper community. Over the past several years we've all got to know each other very well and grown up. The overall structure of the Internet has changed a lot too. Thus, people tend to be less interested in posting on forums when they can just talk with their group of friends on Skype/Discord/TS/whatever or they can just go on Twitter/Reddit/Tumblr.

A lot of people also have more difficult school/college workloads or jobs or whatever and getting new members probably isn't going to happen, as much as we'd like it to. They have no reason to come here over some other forum if they even want to be part of a forum community. :/

Everything and everyone here is very dear to me and I don't want things to die but I also have no real interest in posting myself.
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast