Thread: Spicing up gameplay!

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Spicing up gameplay!

I don't know about you, but I play video games. If you're a gamer like me, then you can agree sometimes playing the same thing over and over again makes the game seem a little stale. So, when it gets to that point, I start thinking of things to "spice up" gameplay, and make it interesting!

How I do it, well, it depends on the game. Let's take Call of Duty: Black Ops III for example (yes I play it but for one game mode only). There's a Zombie gamemode, where you can go in solo or with a friend and try to survive however many rounds until you die. Sometimes that just gets boring. So what I do is set limits for myself. I do challenges to make the game more interesting. As opposed to running a certain path, I'd run a different route with different weapons like "Snipers" or "Shotguns only".

For other games, like Smash Bros for example, it can get boring. So what I do is do a bunch of random battles and play against bots as opposed to using my usual mains (Link and Mario)

Then in Pokemon, we all can say we've probably attempted/done this once. Like completing the Pokedex, running the game with one Pokemon, running the game with one type of Pokemon, Nuzlockes and shiny hunting.

So how do you spice up your gameplay?

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't try to do anything out of the ordinary usually, but when I do, I do it because I want to be a weird hipster about it. The only couple instances where I've done such a thing that I can think of at the moment are Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, competitive Pokemon, and Kancolle.

I've completed a mostly Charlotte run of Portrait of Ruin because of the guides I've looked up for it favoring Jonathan over Charlotte. It turned out to make the game much more manageable, bar her lack of super jump and jump kicks (*grumble, grumble*). But it also meant that I had to make some of my own strategies which was actually really fun to do.

Kancolle and competitive Pokemon are relatively the same. Any time there's an event in Kancolle, I always have to forbid something in said event, usually Tone-class Kai Nis and torpedo cruisers, sometimes night battle cut ins. For the uninitiated, torpedo cruisers are akin to using Uber tier Pokemon, Tone-class are highly recommended for whatever reason even though they're almost the same as their cheaper variants, and night battle cut ins... have a 150% damage modifier (the damage being modified in question is anywhere between 100-250 damage to regular targets that are not named BB Princess or CV Princess/Demon, around 70-200 to regular bosses). Competitive Pokemon is rather simple, just no legendary Pokemon.

#SHIROBAKO FOR SECOND SEASON | MyAnimeList | Deviantart | Twitch | Siggy Shop

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    If it's a boring day I'll think about playing Dark Souls. If it's a really boring day I might even start playing Dark Souls.

Idk if this counts but sometimes after playing more recent Mario Karts for a while I'll go back to the older games and try not to throw my DS at the wall when I realize how stiff the controls used to be.

I might actually try to play Skyrim with my feet some time if it ever gets warm enough to take my socks off. Might have to remap a few controls for that, though.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0688-5832-4685
    Of course I've tried to play through Pokémon games with some challenges too, but that's boring.

If I get really bored one day, I usually make up challenge for my self in some video game to test my skills. Currently, I'm trying to play through Super Mario 3D Land right now, even if I have completed it maybe 7 times since it was released. Except what I'm doing it that I'm collecting every single coin, in every single level/area. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Even in the special world. I'll even try to complete each level as fast as I possibly can to try and get the maximum amount of coins that I can.
    Ross the Boss, AKA THE DANGER RANGER

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    Hi. I just do stupid runs of FE games like only using certain weapon types or increasing enemy growths or 0% growths or whatever else. It's fun.
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    3711-8217-1938
    Normally, I set myself ridiculously hard challenges that I know I'll fail because it'll be fun. Also, I quite enjoy going back to games that I used to think were amazing when I was a child and seeing them for what they really are, good or bad. For example, just recently I played through Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury on the GBA. It's a fun little time kiler, nothing too unique or out of this world, but it hit me in my nostalgia feels and made me remember all of the fun times I had playing it when I was younger.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    update: I am now doing a RepelLocke of HeartGold. As in I'm not using any repels for the entire game because I have literally no idea what's in the tall grass past about Route 34.

And also using pokémon I've never used before sans Meganium and (kind of) Crobat. Also it turns out that Hoothoot is INSANELY HARD TO USE BECAUSE IT ONLY LEARNS PECK THROUGH LIKE LEVEL NINETY FIVE ARKSGLHFGKJHL

DonatorBoulder User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm mostly content with just playing the game the way it was meant to be played. I do very much enjoy watching other people try self-imposed challenges. The one I've tried was a "no crafting table" run of Minecraft to the Enderdragon. Apparently it's possible, but....geez. Never stood a chance.
    I need a sig. Hit me up if interested, please!