Thread: Political Correctness

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Political Correctness

Something that I would whack a person over the head for because sometimes it ticks me off so god dang much.

Let's start off with one and only one open ended question: what are your feelings about political correctness?

If I could sum up my own opinion about political correctness without cursing, I wouldn't be able to because by god I associate horrible things with them. So let's have a discussion, shall we?

Go.

#SHIROBAKO FOR SECOND SEASON | MyAnimeList | Deviantart | Twitch | Siggy Shop

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    ah, I love the political correctness discussion. People are so wonderfully efficient at screwing it up in cataclysmic fashion :D don't really feel like writing one of my trademark walls of text so:

trying to make things that are (already not offensive) -> (not offensive) = bad. stupid. you just look like an idiot who doesn't get out much. yes, I like to consider other peoples' backgrounds, no, I do not think you should ban halloween because it's totally going to offend people who (a) don't observe it or/and (b) can't afford to dress up. Yes, that actually happened. Multiple times, iirc.

going out of your way to offend people because you don't like political correctness = even more bad and stupid and you just look like an idiot who doesn't get out much. hellooooooooooooo, #alllivesmatter.

i might also add that the Reader Forum section of my newspaper's editorial page is generally a hilarious mix of people butting heads over said issues. learn to step up your game, YouTube comments.

DonatorBoulder User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Although I generally agree with Dragonite about how asinine it is with people deliberately trying to **** each other off and claim they don't care about political correctness, I think in general people try way too hard not stepping on each other's feet or worrying about offending the opposite party.

There are several people in this world who just need to suck it the **** up. My honest opinion is when you have someone who overly worries about their feelings and cries "muh race!" when hearing/seeing something that they don't agree with, they react MUCH too strongly. In the big scheme of things, they don't measure up to a big and busy world where things are constantly evovling around an ever-growing culture (especially with the Internet the way it its).

I'm well aware I sound like a jackass when I say this, but a few feelings being hurt doesn't mean squat in the big picture. 'Political-correctness" is just another meaning for "I don't like what I'm hearing, shut up!" I support self-interest over wasting too much time helping others, but there's such thing as too much.
    I need a sig. Hit me up if interested, please!

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I could go full "back in my day, people weren't wusses", but honestly, I have no strong feelings towards Political Correctness one way or the other. On one hand, yes, P.C. has made a lot of people more sensitive towards very inane comments that would not have been considered offensive otherwise. I'm not just talking about jokes regarding minorities and women, but also just one-off standalone teasing that people, for the most part, confuse with bullying. On the other hand, P.C. does protect people from clearly offensive comments, like calling Asians "Ching-chongs" or the like. But honestly, I don't think it as a sign of "Oh, kids these days can't take mere insults. They must be weaker than the previous generations. How does it feel to be so weak that mere words hurt you?" It's more of "We're in the 21st century. It's 2016. We shouldn't be relying on out-dated stereotypes and cultural slang to talk to people."

At the same time, though, the P.C. Police does appear to overstep its bound, mistaking cultural curiosity for cultural appropriation and mistaking friendly teasing for bullying. (I really don't get what's wrong with cultural appropriation, btw. If someone is interested about my culture, I'd be happy to help explain it to them, and many other people from other cultures seem to think the same way.) Universities and Professional sports teams are being asked to change their mascots, because it's apparently offensive to Native Americans, there's arguments regarding cultural costumes on Halloween which most people wouldn't even regard as offensive, and the list goes on. It's a little frustrating to read on the news that someone got offended by something not particularly offensive, but I guess our culture, P.C or not, kind of glorifies that. Some people just look to get offended, I guess. I'd write more, but I have somewhere to be.

-Insert quote about dragons here-
    |Deviantart|Twitter|Pixiv|

DonatorBoulder User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerodragon12 View Post
    Some people just look to get offended, I guess.
    People just love to work up some drama in their lives, gives them some meaning for them, or something. It's kind of retarded, actually. I'm sure you know plenty of people like that.
    I need a sig. Hit me up if interested, please!

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerodragon12 View Post
    Some people just look to get offended, I guess
    getting offended is kind of the first-order optimal strategy for getting attention for yourself. basically, the grown-up analogue of a toddler banging on pots and pans to get their mom off the phone.

also would I come under fire for saying I thought the Washington Redskins thing was hilarious? because the Washington Redskins thing was hilarious. I think a similar thing happened to my own high school mascot (unsuccessfully) a few years ago, too.

edit: oh yeah, and then we have dunderheads like Donald Trump going out of their way to be as calculatedly politically incorrect as possible. hee hee.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My view is that, if you're saying stupid **** to intentionally offend people, like Donald Trump, you're a ****. But if you're telling people that they can't participate in activities in which you would not participate in that have no effect on you, such as jokes, holidays, etc, you're a *****.

Tl;Dr don't be so far to the right to the point where you're being a ****, and not too far to the left where you're being a *****.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    entertainment is dead
    follow my epic twitter account @chairycoke