Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now a Nostalgia Thread!

DonatorRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Now a Nostalgia Thread!

Well over the last few weeks I've been just looking around the forums every so often and I've realized that all discussion and threads have gone to a complete stand still. No chatbox, and there are even sections that were posted in last year as their most recent post. So is this just the end of the SS forums as there has been a complete lack of any statements made from the staff regarding getting this place back to what it once was. A tight community that for most people was a great way to socialize with others and discuss certain topics with eachother along with even playing games such as EpicMafia. I just find it so disheartening how this has become literally a ghost forum with nobody really stepping up lately except for Kamex. It just seems like we're all letting this forum go after just a few months ago being functioning normally. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to assume that atleast a few people missed a well functioning SS forum where you could post in any sections with quick answers, talk about games or recent events in the chatbox, and other things that made this forum the SS forum and not just another one on the internet. If the forum is going to stay like this for longer why would there even be a point in paying for it monthly with an attempt to keep it running without any large announcements or methods to get the community back. There are still many members that check in every so often. Granted we've all grown up and are more busy than we were a few years ago. However, why can't we either just make a final "Goodbye" or revive the forum like we have in the past. The market for example had this community look like it did back when I first joined with an abundance of members all genuinely enjoying their time. It's been a great three years here, but seeing this ghostly forum just sit around stagnant has really caught my attention considering that there hasn't really been a period of time "atleast within the last 3 years" where nothing has been happening with staff along with some of the more renowned memmbers even coming out with a "The forum is over with". etc
    Last edited by Zachgoose; 04-20-2016 at 02:05 PM.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Short answer: yes, we're done for.

Long answer: my formal complain thread had a few interesting effects including people coming back for a few days, so we'll see.

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    It's a tricky situation. We're not going to close down, but there certainly is a lack of activity. I avoided contributing my opinion in Dragonite's thread (though I ultimately like the discussion that went on) because I didn't want to make a formal statement on the situation.

Kamex's post that everyone liked essentially said, let's not worry about the problems but work together to find a solution. However, nothing has exactly been accomplished since then. We still have plenty of users on all the time, but nobody seems to post.

I'm not exactly in a position to help too much (I'm in graduate school and have a job on top of that), but I've tried the best I can. It's a bit disheartening, as I feel as if people simply "like" the posts I make, rather than responding to them. I've spent hours making news posts, but they seem to go almost entirely ignored as far as I'm concerned. There's just a lack of response, but forums are a dying medium anyway. Even massive places like the Serebiiforums have very little activity nowadays, as people prefer to use social media sites like Facebook, Tumblr, Reddit, Twitter, and Skype to communicate instead.

Also, many of our users aren't even that interested in Pokemon anymore, including myself. For me, the Pokemon games are completely boring to play through, and I honestly don't care about the 99999th event Mew giveaway. Unfortunately, we will always be tied to Pokemon, and there's nothing we can do about that. Sort of like how Super Skarmory abandoned his username in favor of King of Zeal, there's no real way to escape without starting over from scratch (which, let's be real here, isn't worth it anyway). Just from following you guys on Twitter I feel that people would be more inclined to post if this were like a League of Legends forum or something, but we'll never be able to remove the "Pokemon" from the website.

I know many of you care about the forum and its community deeply, as do I. So our only option rather than letting it die is to do another major revamp. If people have suggestions, I'd be open to hear them, no matter how crazy they are. Anything is worth a shot at this point.

Honestly, I've considered removing almost all of the staff members, and allowing everyone to apply (or reapply) to become a Moderator if they are willing to put time in the website. It is a "cool kids club," and unfortunately as a result no working is getting done and I haven't wanted to demod anyone since they're my friends and I don't want to step on anyone's toes. SuperSceptile was my experiment with this, and I feel that he (and many other regular users) could be great if they had more control over the site.

So, to conclude, we're not going to say goodbye. We'll either forever exist in this limbo status of being on the brink of destruction, or we can do something about it. But the fate of this website does lie in the hands of the users, and there's nothing we can do unless we genuinely band together to make a change.

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Modding Alex seemed to do very well, as you pointed out, so replacing inactive mods with more people heavily involved with the community sounds like it'd be a great idea.

Also, as you mentioned, there has been a change of interest among many of us, so, I do suppose, to get people to actually talk, we can reformat the place to suit it to what we actually talk about here, such as current events.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    If anyone would like to potentially apply for mod, just PM me to talk in private or feel free to post any suggestions that would improve the site if you'd like. Lots of people have viewed threads like this, but there seems to be so few responses...

DonatorRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finding a way to get the community back together somehow via a gamenight or something could potentially help idk

Tournament VictorTournament ProctorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Personally, I think this place is done for. I honestly enjoyed my three and a half years on here though. It was a great starting point on the internet for me, and I'm really happy I got to meet a bunch of cool people here. One of my most memorable moments was when we did the LeafGreen, Emerald, and Crystal chain plays (SCEPT, **** YOU FOR EVOLVING MAGIKARP). But all good things must come to an end. I think what you can do now is host a big goodbye event that members can participate in and then just be done with these forums. Then maybe in a few years or something, if you feel like making a forum again, you can revive this forum or make a new forum from scratch. I don't think anything is going to change the way we are now. Some people here don't think very highly of certain people. Maybe that might go away after a few years and we can all start fresh again because everyone's high on nostalgia or something, just like how the 2012 version of the SuperSkarmory forums was. But then again, we're all going to get busier in a few years, so who knows, really?

Anyway, basically my suggestion is to give up on this version of this forum.
    Last edited by X!!; 02-23-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    There is no goodbye with this one. There is no starting over anymore. We're all getting too old for this, and if the forum becomes inactive, then that's the way it is. In these past few days, only a couple of people have private messaged me with suggestions for change. A lot of us still log on every single day, but there's just no more posts...

Why do people keep coming back if this is what they want?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I know I've not handling this discussion in the most tactful way in the past, but here are my honest thoughts (I'm Aaron, by the way):

This site means a lot to me. Not just this site, but ever SuperSkarmory forum before it. I joined originally in the Forumotion days way back in 2009, and it was honestly the most fun time I've ever had on the internet. I haven't always been here over the past 7 years, but I can say this: I've met so many great people thanks to this site: Shadow, Aqua, Dragonite, PZ, Brick, Eoghy, Tuxy and even more. Heck, if I hadn't met X, I doubt I would know any of those people half as well as I do now. But activity has dropped ever since the merge; we had a massive spike in posts and threads, but then it died down almost instantly. And it's for that reason that I think we need to let it go. This place has been stagnant for a long while now, and all of these desperate attempts to bring it back to life aren't working. The staff here have tried pretty much everything, left no stone unturned...and nothing has worked. I honestly think we need to face facts; we're done. We've had an amazing run, don't get me wrong. But I think it's come to that time where we need to allow this place to bow out in a dignified and graceful manner. I know it'll be hard, because I know this place, and every iteration before it, mean a lot to so many people here. But I think we need to let this place go. I don't hate this place at all; far from it in fact. However, and I hate to say this, I think yes, this forum is done.

Alt of Aaron // Marksman, Gunslinger and Outlaw

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast