Thread: Where's The Fair Use

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215

Where's The Fair Use

So if you thought YouTube was rather shoolyard bullyish about fair use and copyright already, in the last few days the whole Internet has EXPLODED with complaints about big companies doing things they couldn't. Fine Bros. was, apparently, only the tip of a decently gargantuan iceberg.

The system has actually been very broken for a very long time, as anyone who's posted anything on the Internet in the history of the universe can tell you, but, well, it's not getting better.

I'm not going to define "fair use" or describe how Content ID doesn't really work (but I'll go on record saying I lost a fair bit of money through it, too) for those of you who are too lazy to open a new tab and type "Google," but it's always been fairly clear that things like reviews (critical or otherwise) fall quite safely under it; the brunt of the fallout has been landing on people who post not-so-sunshiney reviews about movies and stuff, but a few days ago the entire Pokémon Reorchestrated (yes, I posted a dead link) YouTube channel got taken down because, apparently, copyright infringement. For those of you who don't know, Pokémon Reorchestrated is more or less the patron saint of all musical reinterpretations who makes everyone else sound like white noise (sorry, Kamex).

Those of you who have been around for a while might remember SOPA, which thank God didn't ever become actual rules we had to follow, but this has strikingly similar implications and is a bit scarier because it's not the work of some old fogey politicians in a lecture room somewhere.

So go get mad. Imagine Mr. Popo said mean things about your mom in the chatbox or YYHD insulted your favorite politician. Pokémon Company took down the granddaddy of fan music, I once had a content claim on the sound of wind in a video, so basically nothing on YouTube is safe.

See also Nostalgia Critic:

Marsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'll take the Imagination out of it. **** Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Hillary Clinton.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For the record, Pokemon Reorchestrated was taken down because he violated the agreement he had with the Pokemon Company. His agreement was he could remix and resell the music through iTunes and the like, but he could not host the actual music on Youtube, and instead, only use Youtube as a promotional platform for the music. The strikes came through the videos that had the whole tracks in them (Which he apparently didn't take down fast enough), and not through the promotional videos.

With that said, even with mainstream attention, as long as Google continues to get money from advertisers and people who will pay to get other people's videos taken down, this isn't going to change any time soon.

-Insert quote about dragons here-
    |Deviantart|Twitter|Pixiv|

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Your mom is so fat, she blamed society for it and became a raging feminazi....

On a serious note, why has Google not made an official statement yet? Are full-blown retarded cucksicles working there? A better question: why hasn't anyone spammed the ever living **** out of striked videos?

Better question overall: Where the **** is Anonymous?
    It takes a Teen Age Riot to get me out of bed right now.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerodragon12 View Post
    For the record, Pokemon Reorchestrated was taken down because he violated the agreement he had with the Pokemon Company. His agreement was he could remix and resell the music through iTunes and the like, but he could not host the actual music on Youtube, and instead, only use Youtube as a promotional platform for the music. The strikes came through the videos that had the whole tracks in them (Which he apparently didn't take down fast enough), and not through the promotional videos.
    did they give a warning first? not that I'm aware of.
    were they required to give a warning? not that I'm aware of.
    would it have been nice of them to, considering that Pokémon is an empire of childrens' toys? yeah, maybe.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
    did they give a warning first? not that I'm aware of.
    They did, actually. The guy running the channel said that he got a warning before, and then laments that "maybe [he] didn't remove them fast enough".
    Last edited by Xerodragon12; 02-19-2016 at 11:20 PM.

-Insert quote about dragons here-
    |Deviantart|Twitter|Pixiv|

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    imo google probably doesn't care, semi-popular youtubers won't bring them any cash
    about all i need to say really. they're not making money off of youtube. this isn't hurting them at all.
    follow my epic twitter account @chairycoke

Boulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylveon View Post
    I'll take the Imagination out of it. **** Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Hillary Clinton.
    but ted is so awesome he has his own coloring book
    I have claimed Totodile and Spheal on January 1st, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepuffle View Post
    I think it'd be neat if we made like a chronological timeline order for the Pokemon RPs. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoghy View Post
    If the Pokémon RPs are supposed to all be related, I think I'll go kill myself now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepuffle View Post
    Good point.