Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671

Exclamation Moving Forward

Hello you people (whatever we call ourselves nowadays),

I'll have more free time during the summer and be able to mull about this site a bit more, and wanted to briefly discuss some future goals for Pokecheats. Basically, I'm going to eventually make a new Sun and Moon Pokecheats default theme and change things up just so the occasional person who views this forum won't be so confused about the site's overall identity. I noticed that I like these simple yet meaningful discussions we've been having over the past couple of months in threads like the "Nostalgia thread", the general chat, and the Pokemon news articles. They feel much more real and fun to talk in than another, "Hey what do you guys think of this random thing???" thread. These discussions are much more enjoyable because they bring us together to talk about our MAIN common interests: Our community... and Pokemon.

It would be best if the site had a greater focus upon Pokemon news (and revert to being an exclusively Pokemon forum), so people don't feel compelled to discuss other specific interests like Fire Emblem or "their favorite color" on this website. When we have so many different subjects to talk about, it really splits the community apart. For example, I don't have much interest in anime at this point in my life, but there are many users on this forum who love anime! I never go to the anime section, and neither do anime lovers: because there are simply better places for them to talk about their interests than being crammed into a tiny section of one forum! The Internet is evolving, and people have many other social media sites/programs that they communicate on. There's no need to try to encompass every single aspect of our lives in one forum when it is better done elsewhere!

It really makes sense if you think about it... People ONLY go to sites like Smogon to discuss Pokemon, and nothing else. I watch someone like the streamer Kripp on Twitch to see him play the game Hearthstone that he's known for; if I see him playing some other random game, I probably won't watch the stream.

I think that's our big underlying problem with the site; we're trying to incorporate everyone's interests and discussions into one forum as we've aged, when this really is just a "Pokemon" interest website at the fundamental level! I can follow you guys on somewhere else like Twitter if I want to see your rants about League of Legends, daily life experiences, or anything else!

I actually changed my mind and think forum user Derose is right: We're actually in a slump because POKEMON as a whole is in a slump. There hasn't been any (real) major news since the release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire nearly 1.5 years ago. I played ORAS for over 100 hours, but it's been over a year since I've touched the game. Somebody like me is not interested in Pokemon at the current time because of the lack of fresh content in the series. Once Sun and Moon come out, people (including myself) will be INTO Pokemon again and want to talk about it on a specific site like this forum!

So basically, the underlying goal is to promote the growth of a website by DOWNSIZING its focus. In 2009, Pokemon may have been every forum user's main obsession, but that is certainly not the case anymore. Although we've tried to expand the website over the years to promote activity, you ultimately can't take the "Pokemon" out of Pokecheats!

So this Summer (once I finish my coursework), look for some big changes on the forums. Since hype for Sun and Moon is soon approaching, this forum is definitely the place where people will get the best Pokemon discussion! With lots of new Pokemon content, we'll see more activity! We'll cut out most of the useless "fluff" and features that we've accumulated over the years, and go back to our roots of being interested in discussion about Pokemon with each other as friends. With the upcoming hype and release of Sun and Moon, expect more Pokemon news, tournaments, discussion, Pokemon giveaways, and more!

The outlook has seemed bleak for these forums in the past year and I had been pessimistic myself, but if you think about it, there has been absolutely no Pokemon content released (other than a couple of lame spin-offs) for a relatively long time now! There's definitely a direct correlation between our interest in these forums and new Pokemon games, so I ultimately believe that we'll have a bright future later on this year as content about Sun and Moon emerges!

By the light of the sun and the moon, time shines in our favor! (I apologize at that desperate attempt at a pun)

Remember kids... Smiles go for miles!

-Zachgoose :)

TL;DR - Let's make Pokecheats great again by putting the Pokemon back into the site once information about Sun and Moon comes in!
    Last edited by Zachgoose; 04-20-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Thunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0130-1786-1915
    #BringBackThe3DSFCThread
    RIP sig. I'll add something when I'm not up at 6:30 am.

YouTube
    Twitter
    Tumblr

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    #MakePokeCheatsGreatAgain

Sorry for that trump reference, I thought it was fitting for this thread.

All of my favorite characters die AdministratorModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2148-8282-2003
    I think that's a fair point made. The Internet has definitely changed a lot with instant messaging and whatnot becoming more popular. While I've certainly moved away from Pokémon over the last years, I agree that making it a focus is probably for the best. If I (or other users) don't want to discuss Pokémon stuff, then I won't post in a thread.. but that's not too different from the current situation where we talk about stuff other places anyway. So focusing on a specific is a good idea in my opinion.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    i make one thread about favourite colour as a throwback to the best 09 thread and you hold it over me for YEARS. what the hell man.

Generally I'm on board w/ pokemon forum. Been loving pokemon recently. I'll make comments on what you said where necessary.

It really makes sense if you think about it... People ONLY go to sites like Smogon to discuss Pokemon, and nothing else. I watch someone like the streamer Kripp on Twitch to see him play the game Hearthstone that he's known for; if I see him playing some other random game, I probably won't watch the stream.

I think that's our big underlying problem with the site; we're trying to incorporate everyone's interests and discussions into one forum as we've aged, when this really is just a "Pokemon" interest website at the fundamental level! I can follow you guys on somewhere else like Twitter if I want to see your rants about League of Legends, daily life experiences, or anything else!
    I don't think we have multiple categories to include everyone's taste rather we're just using the same formula that Eyan thought was essential for a sound structured forum.

I actually changed my mind and think forum user Derose is right: We're actually in a slump because POKEMON as a whole is in a slump.
    i don't agree with this at all but I assume you(by you i mean zach other hs people too prolly) have realized I have been very behind video game trends as of late so this might be right. However, for me personally pokemon has never been this fun since 09. I think in this past week I clocked multiple hours every day. Each day I am finding something new (mostly dumb) to do in ORAS.

Tunneling into one specific interest sounds like it could really benefit. I still think the BIG BIG issue is finding new members, but sun/moon might help. Thinking back on reasons why other peeps joined I know Will joined pokestation cuz he was hooked to heart gold and wanted somewhere to talk about pokemon and found that website.

Also don't bother modding me in autumn. Won't be around much because of school. I'll probably be kicking around in summer tho.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorasfan View Post
    While I've certainly moved away from Pokémon over the last years, I agree that making it a focus is probably for the best. If I (or other users) don't want to discuss Pokémon stuff, then I won't post in a thread.
    Yeah. I mean, I haven't been interested in the Pokemon games since a couple of months after ORAS' release, but the forum community is too diverse to focus on anything else as a whole. Not to say we'll entirely remove absolutely all conversation if people still WANT to talk about other things than Pokemon, but I do feel like people will naturally talk in other places with more dedicated fanbases for their interests. I don't want to alienate people from posting entirely if they actually WANT to post about other events/interests, but as of now, people aren't posting at all. Enforcing a "Pokemon guideline" will give users motivation to post and guarantee that they will receive responses from other users.

Example 1: Many of the forum users have always been big on Fire Emblem here, but there were only a couple of responses to my big thread on Fire Emblem Fates. Yet, I've seen forum users make hundreds and hundreds of posts about the game on Twitter.

Example 2: Some of my other more passionate interests, like Overwatch or TCGs, I've tried to share on this website on multiple occasions. My comments go largely ignored because I have these specific niche interests, so I've simply found other communities to talk about these things with.

Placing a much larger emphasis on "Pokemon" encourages to talk about Pokemon! It's not like people join a chess club to play checkers; if you are on a Pokemon website, you should spend much of your time talking about Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainers14 View Post
    for me personally pokemon has never been this fun since 09. I think in this past week I clocked multiple hours every day. Each day I am finding something new (mostly dumb) to do in ORAS.

Tunneling into one specific interest sounds like it could really benefit. I still think the BIG BIG issue is finding new members, but sun/moon might help. Thinking back on reasons why other peeps joined I know Will joined pokestation cuz he was hooked to heart gold and wanted somewhere to talk about pokemon and found that website.
    And maybe there are more people like you who are still obsessed with Pokemon, but they feel uncompelled to post here because of the direction of the forum. Since this iteration of the forum, there have been more posts about media, politics, and forum mafia than there have been about the actual Pokemon series!

It really muddles up the identity of the site and makes it harder to post. So people (such as BreeZaps) who still want to talk about Pokemon frequently have gone to different sites.

The experience is much more enjoyable when discussed together. I still talk to people like Shiningbolt about Pokemon on Discord almost every single day.

We just need to make this site "the best place to talk about Pokemon" again, so people will post here!

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Operation: Invade Victory Road

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm still telling you that the first order of business is to get that bloody gts stuff off the main site, or at least replace it with instructions on pkhex or something that might be relevant until the next 3DS firmware update, but at this point we all realize that's about as close to happening as Alan Turing becoming president of Brazil so whatever.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I have a weird relationship with Pokémon in that I routinely spend six or seven hours a day on it thanks to that one game I'm making, which gives me plenty of time to ponder how Black and White 2 implemented the Free Space compartment of the inventory but next to no time actually playing it (though it does help that my 3DS started responding to wifi again recently, some of the time). I'm not completely sure what I would do with a decidedly pokémon-centric site, I could post dweeby threads out the nostrils if you wanted me to but I'm not sure how much the rest of you nerds would be interested in debating whether or not the weird cost-per-step of the different Repel types impacts the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachgoose View Post
    By the light of the sun and the moon, time shines in our favor! (I apologize at that desperate attempt at a pun)
    this is your cue to go play minesweeper for like a month or something

Cascade UserBoulder User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's foolish to think that this site will survive by changing the "themes", when the reason this place gets no-one is because the community has made an habit of being rude to eachother like it's 4chan.

I spent 3 weeks here, and I left completely intoxicated by the anger this community generated. Everyday there was a huge discussion, and names were called, people were insulted for petty reasons, and my god the moderation was atrocious.
    I was told by Nayru how amazing this site was, and I came expecting just that. A small comunity, but a nice one. What happened? What in the world could have destroyed this place's people in such a way?

All I know is that my best decision was to leave, and I have no plans on returning. I always remained positive, never insulted anyone, never engaged in a pointless and ultimately harmful discussion, yet somehow I was always dragged into situations and completely spitted on.
    This place will fall extinct if its rotten core doesn't change.

I reccomend you guys to either live and let live, or live and let die.
    Bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by Igos du Ikana
    Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure... These feelings have vanished from our hearts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
    Operation: Invade Victory Road

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I have a weird relationship with Pokémon in that I routinely spend six or seven hours a day on it thanks to that one game I'm making, which gives me plenty of time to ponder how Black and White 2 implemented the Free Space compartment of the inventory but next to no time actually playing it (though it does help that my 3DS started responding to wifi again recently, some of the time). I'm not completely sure what I would do with a decidedly pokémon-centric site, I could post dweeby threads out the nostrils if you wanted me to but I'm not sure how much the rest of you nerds would be interested in debating whether or not the weird cost-per-step of the different Repel types impacts the game.
    It makes me sad, but Victory Road seems to be much worse off than we are at the moment. I have a lot of history at the site...

I mean, I'm interested in statistics like Repel-per-step for Speedrunning optimizations. It is worth discussing the best way to "efficiently" play through the game at a brisk pace, and I liked threads like the Gen 5 tier list we had a couple of years ago.

You do bring up good points though regarding the hacking aspect. We originally advertised that we'd put more of an emphasis on hacking, but hacking in the current gen is extremely difficult (and we would need Garth to develop new info on the subject which he can't do since he has University and works 24 hours a week right now). I mean, I made a couple of threads about Pokemon hacking, but once again, there was very little to no feedback.

Thank you for your comments, but it hurts that you assume I am good at Minesweeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Lord Diego View Post
    It's foolish to think that this site will survive by changing the "themes", when the reason this place gets no-one is because the community has made an habit of being rude to eachother like it's 4chan.

I spent 3 weeks here, and I left completely intoxicated by the anger this community generated. Everyday there was a huge discussion, and names were called, people were insulted for petty reasons, and my god the moderation was atrocious.
    I don't think the source of our problems overall is toxicity. I'm truly sorry if your experience with the website was in that regard. I'm up on a pedestal, so I lack the understanding of what it's like to be a new regular user. Thank you for taking the time to contribute this input, especially if you had a problem with the site. I'll take your opinions into consideration for what it might be like to be a new user.

Like I said in the OP, there had been a dry spell of Pokemon for the past couple of years. Even gigantic places like the Serebiiforums have had low post counts over this time period. And the lack of Pokemon news is evident across all Pokemon websites. See: Serebii's news posts on most days just being "Omg guys look ANOTHER Pokemon Shuffle challenge!"

I still think most of our community is tight knit (even if we do have some issues), and I know I'd rather be hyping Sun and Moon here then some random small Skype chat that only a few people are in anyway.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachgoose View Post
    It makes me sad, but Victory Road seems to be much worse off than we are at the moment. I have a lot of history at the site...
    the interesting part is that it seems like everyone's aware of that and so far nobody seems to mind. i still battle kakashi, cat still posts silly license plates and everybody still talks about Pokémon, just at a rather slower pace than a few years ago. we'll see what happens when Sun and Moon come out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast