Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokemon GO

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerodragon12 View Post
    Nintendo (re: Miyamoto) believing that games should focus more on making the gameplay fun for everyone.)
    Fun for everyone = more casual games.

Casual players don't have the time or patience to really invest themselves in a game. Take a look back to the first few generations of Pokemon. You had to explore on your own in order to progress in the game, and the maps were complex. With gens 5 and 6, the maps are basically just a straight line without any backtracking, and everything you need to know to progress is just spoonfed to you by mandatory cutscenes and such. Not to mention you have stuff like free mega legendaries that you can just mash A with and win the game because they have 3 times the base stats of other trainer's Pokemon.

Masuda admitted that Pokemon games have become more easy over time, because Pokemon has to compete with other games, so much strategy, depth, and content is simplified for the sake of appealing to a wider audience.

Nintendo has made a significant portion of the profits from Pokemon GO, even though it wasn't developed by them. That's why their stocks increased so much. If there is a big money making trend, of course they're coming to follow it. We've already seen a surge in Nintendo finally trying to compete in the mobile markets, with games like Miitomo and Pokemon Shuffle.

I understand that Pokemon GO lacks depth because it wasn't meant to have depth, so I'm not really criticizing it in that way. I'm more critical of its potential ramifications on gaming as a whole and further pushing the idea that people want more casual games like this.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachgoose View Post
    I'm more critical of its potential ramifications on gaming as a whole and further pushing the idea that people want more casual games like this.
    Correct, except for one point: the entire rest of the gaming world except for Dark Souls was already doing this sort of thing about five years ago. The problem to me is that the success of Go is suggesting that gaming's going to be in its Dark Ages for a bit longer than I expected it was going to, say . . . a month ago.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
    the entire rest of the gaming world except for Dark Souls was already doing this sort of thing about five years ago.
    "making games easy" and "making stupid mindless trash that you play on your cellular telephone," that is, not "making massive geocaching games." although apparently Niantic was doing that, too.
    Last edited by Dragonite; 07-18-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    May I add that the "casual playerbase" is the kind of crowd that tends to move on from fads very quickly

Acknowledging that this game hasn't actually been pay-to-win, so players can keep on playing without waiting. However, from what I've observed, you'll eventually hit a peak, and I kind of compare that peak to completing a video game. A lot of people are gonna put this game down at that point. A lack of content is going to keep the.. "non-casuals"(?) not so interested either. I appreciate that the point of this game wasn't so much to be an adventure, however, a lack of features is gonna kill off this game if more don't come soon enough.

i should probably stop typing these after midnight lol
    Last edited by Bricktoad; 07-21-2016 at 05:57 AM.
    follow my epic twitter account @chairycoke

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    worth mentioning: judging by the dearth of Go spam i've seen on Twitter and other places in the last few days, I'm guessing people have already started getting bored of it. either that or journalism's just gotten a bit preoccupied with the RNC.

Member of the MonthModeratorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Global Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2165-7533-5238
    I've done next to nothing with this app. I never saw the appeal of it. The trailers were cool and all but we knew the actual app would be nothing like it. I didn't have much fun with it when I did decide to take a stroll. This is probably because I was always more into battling rather than catching pokemon, and this app is mainly catching.

That being said, I'm happy this has been so popular. It brings some more attention back on to pokemon, including people who haven't touched the series in a while. For example, one of my friends who mainly plays on PS4, wants to get a 3ds just for sun and moon. That was just because of the app. Even my mom was asking me about the app lol.

It's funny. My friends were expecting me to have played the s*** out of this since I'm such a fan of the series, but in reality they've gotten much more out of it than I have. I'm just waiting for Sun and Moon to be honest.

I much prefer Pokemon Shuffle as a time waster/mobile game.
    Last edited by SuperSceptile; 07-22-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12