Thread: College Students/Former College Students of Pokecheats - Question continued in post

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

College Students/Former College Students of Pokecheats - Question continued in post

Holy crap I didn't realize there was a word limit to thread titles.

College Students/Former College Students of Pokecheats - What is something from college you learned and has influenced your life?

Also this is totally in the style of a r/AskReddit thread.

DonatorMarsh UserSoul UserRainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    4682-8983-8215
    Pretty much everything in Susan Weinschenk's "100 Things Designers Need to Know About People," and a few other things from my Interface Design class. Since, you know, my interfaces suck.

Also, Fitt's Law now haunts me daily, but that was something I knew beforehand and we talked about in class.

ModeratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I learned how to express complex ideas concisely and simply so everyone stays on the same page, whether it was verbally debriefing teammates who didn't study the same fields I did, or writing papers that need to be understandable by laymen; learning to explain terminology and concepts people don't normally encounter is a key part of understanding the concepts yourself and expressing yourself in 280 characters or less.

Outside of more general stuff like that, everything you will ever learn has a role in your real life, whether you know it or not. One time, I had to explain to my roommate, a PhD student in Electrical Engineering, that melting brown sugar in honey was a matter of specific heat (which I learned back in high school chemistry), and he was still convinced it was magic. Also, ever since I studied control systems, I can not help but notice positive and negative feedback loops everywhere I look, from obvious things, like automation, to more subtle things, like how some people react to criticism, and put up barriers that limit more and more criticism.

EDIT: Also something everyone should learn: GIGO. GIGO applies to everything. If you don't understand the concepts early on, everything you do that is built on those concepts are going to be trash. If you don't put in the effort to do something properly, it shows. GIGO applies to everything.
    Last edited by Xerodragon12; 06-14-2018 at 04:22 PM.

-Insert quote about dragons here-
    |Deviantart|Twitter|Pixiv|

Rainbow UserThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    **** all
    follow my epic twitter account @chairycoke

DonatorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    1332-8198-6921