Thread: Wii U details announced!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Wii U details announced!

Launches: 2012

Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic ControllerTM, Classic Controller ProTM and Wii Balance Board™.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs..

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Here is a recap of Nintendo's E3 presentation from earlier this morning. A recording of the live stream can be found at: http://e3.nintendo.com/

Shigeru Miyamoto introduced the presentation by mentioning that this year is the 25th anniversary of the Legend of Zelda franchise. To celebrate the 25th anniversary, a new Zelda game will be available for each Nintendo console. The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening will launch today on the 3DS eShop. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D will launch on June 19th, 2011 for the 3DS. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword will launch in the holiday season of 2011 for the Wii. Skyward Sword will uses the Wii Motion Plus controller, and will include a Gold Wiimote with the game. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords will launch in September in the 3DS eShop for free, and features multiplayer capabilities with up to 4 people. Shigeru also announced that they are preparing 2 music CDs from The Legend of Zelda series. Additionally, The Legend of Zelda symphony concerts will be hosted around the world, starting this fall.

Satoru Iwata continued the presentation by explaining Nintendo's primary goals. Iwata stated that they must "expand the gaming population", with a console that is equally satisfying for everyone. Iwata stated that "I would like to do this with our new home console".

Reggie, the president of NOA, announced several upcoming 3DS titles. The following titles were mentioned:
    -Mario Cart 3D
    -Starfox 3D (will launch this September)
    -Super Mario 3D
    -Kid Icarus: Uprising 3D (features 3v3 multiplayer, and AR cards)
    -Luigis Mansion 2
    -Ace Combat 3D
    -Cave Story 3D

Reggie also mentioned plans of releasing a future update for the 3DS that will allow 3D game trailers and downloadable game demos to appear in the eShop.

Satoru Iwata then re-appeared on stage to announce the details of their new home console. The console is named Wii U. The "U" represents that the console is "just for you". This is also reflected in the design of the Wii U controller, which features a 6.2 inch HD touch screen. Family members will no longer have to fight for TV access, since each player will have a separate screen built into each controller. In addition to the existing gyroscopic and accelerometer features in the Wiimote controller, the Wii U controller also features speakers, a microphone, and a camera. Video chat is just one of the many features of the Wii U that has been introduced. Even though the Wii U controller appears to resemble a portable gaming console, it is not portable. In fact, the controller must be within range of the Wii U console, in order for graphics to be wirelessly transmitted to the controller.

At E3, they have provided 8 different demos for the Wii U. They aren't prototypes of actual games. Instead, they are simply just interactive demos to show off the graphical and multiple control scheme possibilities of the Wii U. Satoru Iwata also mentioned that "the software of the 3DS and Wii U will link together in some fashion".

Reggie then joined the stage again to introduce some of the titles that will be available for the Wii U:
    -Darksiders II (will be available at launch)
    -Assassins Creed
    -Ghost Recon Online
    -Dirt
    -Metro Last Lights
    -Tekken
    -Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge

Several game developers then shared their comments regarding the Wii U. They mentioned that online content will expand to social network sites. Wii U games will have more interactive online content, that the game developers claim will "change Wii U games from a thing that you buy, to a place that you go".

More...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What a silly name... Wii U. Whats wrong with using the word Super, or even a random number at the end. But really, this thing is awesome. Can't wait for Smash bros Wii U.
    Also, the name "Wii U" sound like a police siren.
    I,Ninten, claim Soul Eater Evens from Soul and Eater.
    I, Ninten, also claim Kon from Bleach.
    I Ninten, claim Scraggy from Pokemon.
    My posts end up being way too long and end up turning into novels, like this one right here.
    ~Troll~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to post the actual console instead of the controller?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JinjaNinja View Post
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to post the actual console instead of the controller?
    Not really.

Anyway, I'm really exited for Smash Bros U.

Give me Zoroark as a playable Character, Nintendo!

Please feed my awesome team of Balloon awesomeness!

Awesome Youtube Channel (MINE!)

AdministratorBoulder UserEvent ContributorHackerJournalist
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Nintendo has put much more emphasis on the controller.

Notice how the WiiU is displayed in a horizontal orientation. The sides are even rounded, so that the WiiU cannot be displayed in the upright orientation. Perhaps this was done in order to reduce to likeliness of the WiiU falling on its side?