Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religions and Beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Religions and Beliefs

I realize that I just made a time-bomb, but no forum is complete without one. So here you can debate your religion with your fellow internet dwellers. And I would like to point out now, that this is different from the creationism one, because it isn't about only 2 beliefs, but all in general, and their finer aspects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Creationism refers to a supernatural being creating the universe, not just the Catholic/Jewish God.

(Member since November 14th, 2009)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Deist here, lolz. I know it's kind of a dead view, but still, I am one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As I said in the Same-*** Marriage thread, I'm not really religious. There was a chance I would have been brought up Catholic, since it's on my mom's side of the family, but my parents decided against it. I've never been to church or anything in my life, so if they had brought me going well then things might have been different. If I had to put a name to my beliefs, I'd guess I'd say I'm agnostic.
    deviantART • Youtube • Tumblr • Twitter

Credit to PixAlchemist for the sig
    White FC: 1463 5881 2099

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hate going to church, it's so irritating to see all these people that put on this act of being religious, then seeing them around town Monday doing the exact opposite of what they have interpreted the Bible to say they should do.

Religion is hypocrisy.

Hacker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDItsMeInTheFlesh View Post
    I hate going to church, it's so irritating to see all these people that put on this act of being religious, then seeing them around town Monday doing the exact opposite of what they have interpreted the Bible to say they should do.

Religion is hypocrisy.
    That's not Religions fault. Religion is supposed to influence you and show you the true path of life. If you decided to follow it but not follow its rules, then you are the hypocrite. Not Religion.
    Have any questions or suggestions about the site? PM me! Or send me an e-mail: tidus.psn@gmail.com
    PokéStation: Twitter & Facebook

Kyohack: Those russian hackers must've been smart enough to google search what bulbasaur is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did not say it was religions fault, I simply stated that about 85% of people who take place in religious activities do so to fit in. Not to reach salvation, or because they actually believe the religion's views. But to fit in. And then, then do the exact opposite of the religion's views, thus hypocrisy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Religion is a combination of a persons attitude, beliefs, and practices. There are two kinds of religion, in my mind. Individual and institutionalized. Personally, I'm dead set against religious institutions. I'm sure not all places are like this, but every religious establishment I've ever been to has basically been some supposed expert telling me what the correct interpretation of morality, values, and ethics really is. I hate that. With a passion. I don't want some one to TELL me what right is, I want to form my own thoughts and maybe discuss it with others. I personally think that organized religion makes this impossible. We can't discuss belief in a civil manner because we've all been told someones interpretation of something, and have been told that all other thoughts are wrong, and have to be corrected. Because of this, people get extremely touchy whenever their belief is brought up. They all KNOW that they're right, and everyone else is wrong. I have always thought it would be better if everyone thought for themselves and found the answers to the questions of life their own way, but I don't know if people will ever be capable of that. I've met some people that, if they weren't fed exactly what it is they believe, they wouldn't believe anything. I find it really sad.

Hacker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDItsMeInTheFlesh View Post
    I did not say it was religions fault, I simply stated that about 85% of people who take place in religious activities do so to fit in. Not to reach salvation, or because they actually believe the religion's views. But to fit in. And then, then do the exact opposite of the religion's views, thus hypocrisy.
    What about the other 15%? Trust me, I'm Muslim and my Religion is not easy to follow. Praying 5 times a day is obligatory, pray before you sleep, before you eat, go outside, come inside and countless more things I'm obliged to do. Do I do them? No. Simply because in this modern type of world, it's hard. Listening to music is forbidden in my Religion, yet I still listen to Drake and Chris Brown everyday. My iPod is full with songs and not one recitation of the holy book. Am I hypocrite because I follow my religion yet I do not follow all the rules? No. Why? Because of the influences from other people, famous people, idols and so on. You cannot call Religion or another a hypocrite because he doesn't do what his Religion tells him to do. Sure, there are people who you can call hypocrites, and that's only because of the influences he has received from others that took over his beliefs causing him to doubt his or her Religion.

Religion is not at fault for anything. It's YOU who chooses to believe or not. If you doubt it, then it's not the true Religion for you. Follow your heart, that's Religion. (I'm sounding like a priest or something right now, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by johtochampion View Post
    Religion is a combination of a persons attitude, beliefs, and practices. There are two kinds of religion, in my mind. Individual and institutionalized. Personally, I'm dead set against religious institutions. I'm sure not all places are like this, but every religious establishment I've ever been to has basically been some supposed expert telling me what the correct interpretation of morality, values, and ethics really is. I hate that. With a passion. I don't want some one to TELL me what right is, I want to form my own thoughts and maybe discuss it with others. I personally think that organized religion makes this impossible. We can't discuss belief in a civil manner because we've all been told someones interpretation of something, and have been told that all other thoughts are wrong, and have to be corrected. Because of this, people get extremely touchy whenever their belief is brought up. They all KNOW that they're right, and everyone else is wrong. I have always thought it would be better if everyone thought for themselves and found the answers to the questions of life their own way, but I don't know if people will ever be capable of that. I've met some people that, if they weren't fed exactly what it is they believe, they wouldn't believe anything. I find it really sad.
    I understand what you mean, simply because the people in my Religion do this as well. But it's not wrong to do so, but the only person who I want to listen to/learn from about my Religion is someone who has a lot of knowledge about the Religion (mostly priests; or Imams in Islam). Now, Imams (priests in Islam) are scholars of Islam, they have studied all theirs lives and know what's right and what's wrong. They are the only person you should listen to, if someone comes up to you saying this and that about the Religion, then ask them where have they learned that? Did they read it in the Koran? Are the they giving the accurate explanation on said subject? If they say they do, then listen to them. You are not one to judge him on what he has learned from others. If you doubt him and what he says, go to an Imam (priest) and tell him that this man has told me this and that, is it true? Only he can confirm it. Don't get me wrong, those people who come up to you and give you a speech about the Religion are only doing it because they do not want you to go astray. To be specific, they want you to become interested in your Religion, practice it more, become knowledgeable so you can tell your kids and others kids about it when you're in his shoes. From what I've experienced, they come and talk to me because they love me and care about me. You shouldn't be offended when that happen's, they're only trying to care for you, which is what my Religion tells us to do. Care for others.
    Have any questions or suggestions about the site? PM me! Or send me an e-mail: tidus.psn@gmail.com
    PokéStation: Twitter & Facebook

Kyohack: Those russian hackers must've been smart enough to google search what bulbasaur is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
    What about the other 15%? Trust me, I'm Muslim and my Religion is not easy to follow. Praying 5 times a day is obligatory, pray before you sleep, before you eat, go outside, come inside and countless more things I'm obliged to do. Do I do them? No. Simply because in this modern type of world, it's hard. Listening to music is forbidden in my Religion, yet I still listen to Drake and Chris Brown everyday. My iPod is full with songs and not one recitation of the holy book. Am I hypocrite because I follow my religion yet I do not follow all the rules? No. Why? Because of the influences from other people, famous people, idols and so on. You cannot call Religion or another a hypocrite because he doesn't do what his Religion tells him to do. Sure, there are people who you can call hypocrites, and that's only because of the influences he has received from others that took over his beliefs causing him to doubt his or her Religion.
    No, you're not saying to do one thing and do the opposite. What I'm talking about are the adults who punish their children for pre-marital ***, then have an affair. Or tell their children not to curse, and then curse themselves.

THAT is hypocrisy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast