Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minntul's Official Christmas Countdown 2014!!!

Pretty Good DonatorModeratorBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2879-0451-7117

Minntul's Official Christmas Countdown 2014!!!

Yes, that's right. It's official now, sons. B)

Hello all my good friendly forum users! For the third time in this forum's history, it's the duration of the year to celebrate the Holidays and have our traditional countdown to the 25th of December, Christmas! Time sure flies, and it's great that we once again get to spread our joy and excitement for this month of the year. The Holidays help bring us together and I'm hoping this will be a major boost to resurrect this forum's activity to get things going strong again, especially to assist the rest of the staff's hard work to help make this place much more interesting and fun for you all. There's much we have to offer in upcoming time, but for now I hope this will suffice and satisfy you all! ^^

I understand there are many of you out there who are both familiar and unfamiliar with the Christmas Countdown, but my small personal goal with these is to assure that satisfactory posts are made each day by all of you capable volunteers! I've no doubts of your literary skills and posting proficiency, and I'm also really satisfied with who signed up and how quickly the dates were filled up. Regardless, if you're having doubts about the post you are making, feel free to PM if you're needing assistance, confirmation, etc.

The post format is relatively the same as the previous years countdowns. Post the date, the amount of days until Christmas, your personal choice for a video to display, and a paragraph or two about pretty much anything about what the Holidays mean to you. You can talk about your excitement for the future, what the Holidays mean to you, how the past year has been for you, a personal experience around the Holidays, or just whatever you want. It might seem like a lot of work, but it'll be easy once your mind phases into it. Pretty much just copy any previous Countdown post and make it your own for others to read. I love reading all the posts everybody makes in these Countdowns, and I'm there are loads of others who enjoy it too! If you are still unsure, I've left links to the previous Countdowns at the start of the post for you to check out.

Also, even if you are not part of the Countdown, I implore you to post in this thread as many times you like! Don't let it stop you from expressing your Holiday mood. The more posts here the better! What I loved most about the first Countdown was how active and excited everyone was during it. Let's try and bring that back.

Let's get this show on the road!

Today's Date: December 1st
    Days Until Christmas: 24

I struggled to find a nice video to start the Countdown off. Here's a nice tip which I just learned for all of you participating. Have a video prepared beforehand. You'll save yourself a lot of time. Anyway, I chose this video because I just really love this movie. If you haven't watched The Nightmare Before Christmas for some reason, then that's a problem you need to fix. It's about a resident of Halloween Town named Jack Skellington who struggles to regain the happiness he gained from celebrating Halloween. He then stumbles upon a place called Christmas Town which thrills him enough that he decides to try and bring Christmas to Halloween Town. The film is a musical and features a lot of really nice songs I enjoy a lot. Most importantly, it taught me that even skeletons like Christmas, which is very important to me, personally.

Since I'm usually the one who starts the Countdown off, there's not a lot I can say about how the Winter has been for me so far. I'm hoping that unlike last year, my country gets some snowy love. I really love snow, it can be a pain, but I think it's the most beautiful weather there is. There's just so much it reminds me of and how positive it lets me view the future, which is something I desperately need nowadays. I also just really want to take a selfie out in the snow with a sick scarf and a warm coat. B)

I guess I'll reminisce of my experiences this past year. It's been a long, gruelling and not very fun year for me unfortunately. I experienced a lot of stuff which has kind of damaged me mentally in some ways. The experiences of dating someone, extreme exam stress, breaking up, receiving mixed exam results, thinking too much about my own life, attempting to gain surgery for something that's made me self-conscious for years, attempting to change my identity and name, and ultimately being diagnosed with depression which led to even more trouble. It's been real challenging and stressful and things overall have resulted in me worrying a lot. This probably won't go down as the best year of my life, but at least I've done enough to help things get better for next year. I suppose I at least have something to look forward to which is closing in before the year ends. ^^

That probably wasn't the happiest thing to read at the start of a countdown to a pleasant time of the year, but I felt it important to maybe try and get a little more stuff about myself out there to you guys. After all I've been rather inactive around here and you all deserve to know why it's been like that. I'm not all too worried about it. I'm just glad the years ends on such a positive note to wash any worries away which gives a fresh start to the upcoming year. For all those who are also struggling, don't worry! No matter how your Christmas goes, remember that there are always people that are there for you, in real life and on these forums. Things may seem at their worst, but once you regain control then things can only get better. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and I wish you all an excellent month. Thanks to all those who are participating in the Countdown and reading this thread. Remember to post all you want here about what you want in regards to the Holidays!

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Spooky. Thanks for the post. Life gives us trouble sometimes, but I'm glad to see you're taking steps to get yourself sorted out.

Also you sp00ked me with those skeletons, mang.

Halftime ModeratorSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i'm looking forward to seeing inside everyone's lives with each post this countdown.

once again thanks for doing this mental. i'll be sure to make my post worthwhile.
    OLD ENGLISH.

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to this as well. It'll be a lot of fun.

(even as I'm worrying that whatever I write will be crappy)

AdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The ability to recover from adversity strengthens the character; whereby ultimately defining your identity indefinitely. Overcoming your struggles defines you a warrior and a champion; crowned the triumphant victor over the anguish that universally haunts humanity.
    Deep in the dark depths, it is optimistic we can hopefully empathise and relate towards the grief. As now, through communal hospitality; here we are charging boldly towards success as one. For challenge is surmountable hand in hand, in part from the support and friendship that is bringing each other out of the abyss in unison.

We're in this together - it's all going to be okay.

Cascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Okay, here's my post. Hope it isn't too lame!

Today's Date: December 2nd
    Days Until Christmas: 23

This video, taken from the animated musical "The Stingiest Man in Town", brings back many fond memories for me of Christmases when I was a child. We would always look forward to the day two weeks before Christmas when our parents would finally allow us to start watching our collection of Christmas videos. "The Stingiest Man in Town" was my favorite because of all the songs, and this song is my favorite of all the songs.

For me, Christmas has always been a time of joy and family, and food. My father goes out and buys lots of candies, pies and snacks, and we feast on them from the evening of Christmas Eve to the day after New Year's.*

I suppose this comes with growing older and wiser, but I feel that the Christmas season doesn't hold the magical feeling it did for me when I was a child. I sometimes wonder if maybe it has to do with the commercialization of the holiday. I look back on Christmases past and remember innocent anticipation of Christmas Day and simply relishing the decorations and lights and the sense of joy and excitement that seemed to be all around. And each year, I seek to experience that innocence and pureness once again. However, it has become harder to find with each passing year. Yet I believe that if I look hard enough, I will always be able to find some of that magic I once knew. Even if it is only a glimpse.
    Last edited by Lugia; 12-02-2014 at 06:03 PM.

DonatorAdministratorThunder UserCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    0387-8889-5707
    Today's Date: December 3rd
    Days Until Christmas: 22

The other day I was complaining to Will about how how I wasn't a big fan of Christmas songs because the only versions that get played are always just the same Mariah Carey covers that get played on the radio a million times over and start to get annoying after the first two dozen times, but then, I found this video. And I had to use this video because it is actually PERFECT. I think the song itself is pretty cute (despite the fact that it is, indeed, Mariah Carey) and the video makes me smile. I was going to go the Grinch route but the love and joy expressed in this video are honestly much more reflective of how I feel about the holiday season.

Also, I don't consider this NSFW at all, but it might get awkward if your parents are in the room and your computer screen is large so you have been warned. ^^

Christmas has always been incredibly important to me, but not always for the same reason. When I was really little it was the pure excitement-- baking cookies with my mom or grandma and worrying about scaring off Santa (I'm not joking, I actually woke up early in the morning when I was 4 or so and walked with my eyes closed to the bathroom so I wouldn't see Santa and scare him away-- and no, I'm really not sure why my toddler-self thought seeing Santa would startle him and cause jolly ol' Saint Nick to flee). As I grew up, it was definitely about the presents for a while; I recall one year where my grandparents gave me a fair amount (at the time) of money for Christmas and I was actually able to go to the store and buy the newest Mario Party (3!!) for myself. HYPE. As Santa's appearances became more obviously phony (one year instead of addressing one of the packages as "From: Santa" my grandma put "From: Harry Potter"... it was a Harry Potter action figure), I began to lose interest in the holiday itself. I regained a bit of interest through decorating, which I still love, but it took me a while to figure out what made Christmas significant to me.

Now, Christmas is about family, love, and home.

Let's start with family. Yes, of course I mean my parents and pets, but to me family is a lot more than that. Family isn't limited to people I have blood relations/pacts with. There's my boyfriend, there are my best friends from my home town, and there's my SS family. One of the best things about Christmas as a young person is, of course, Winter Break. And to me, one of my favorite things about Winter Break (aside from getting to sleep in and bake lots ehehe) is getting to spend time with my family. I think we get so busy with school, work, video games, and so many other things that we don't always get to spend as much time with our family as we'd like to, regardless of what family means to you.

I don't want to go too ooey gooey with the love part, we can save that for the Valentine's Day Countdown 2k15™. But honestly, the whole month of December has a lot of love in it for me. What could be more love-filled than enjoying good food and vacation time with people who mean the world to you, after all? I truly love and cherish my friends so much, and when it gets into the Holiday season I go super sappy all-of-my-friends-and-family-are-the-friggin-best mode. It hasn't always been this way (I was a very very negative person for a long time), but for the past couple years I've begun to feel sincerely thankful for all of the good fortune I've had. It's really easy to only notice all the bad stuff, so sometimes it can be nice to try and appreciate all of the love in your life, if only for a while.

Finally, I just wanted to talk a little about what home means. There's always so much talk about going home for the holidays!, but I feel like home has always been a weird concept to me. I think a lot of us grew up being taught directly or indirectly that your house = your home and/or the extremely vague "home is where the heart is." In all honesty, I'm not a massive fan of either of these concepts. I think you can be in your own house without feeling at home (I know that growing up I felt very little attachment to our apartment but a significantly stronger attachment to my school and grandparents' house). And in terms of "home is where the heart is," I think it's on the right track but it's such a weird phrase that doesn't really get to heart (ha!) of what home is to me. To me, home is safety. Home is comfort; home is love; home is where your family is. I honestly feel more at home on the Internet than I feel at college sometimes, which is probably why I spend so much online nowadays. I mean, it is the closest I can get to my best friend/ person I love most in the world. </sappy stuff>

To wrap things up, I hope every one of you has a really wonderful holiday season. Stay safe, stay close to those whom you hold dear, and try to give yourself a little time to relax (seriously, you deserve it).

Thank you all so much for listening to me ramble on. Y'all are pretty dang wonderful. Merry Christmas! (in 22 days)~

Article WriterDonatorAdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    3DS Friend Code
    2938-6771-6671
    Harry Potter is pretty vain, if you know what I'm saying.

AdministratorCascade UserBoulder UserSS Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Reminder to choose not Mario Party 3 when the infamous Mario Party netplay night comes into fruition.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast